Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-12-2016, 09:34 PM   #41

My first question is what the heck is that big pile of black stuff? There may be some sort of connection inside??
MrLucky is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 07:45 AM   #42
Site Team

Depending on how close you are to the dealer, how much confidence you have in getting it done quickly and how handy you are, you may want to consider fixing it yourself. It'd be a pretty quick and simple fix.
Old 04-13-2016, 07:51 AM   #43

Quote:
Originally Posted by MrLucky View Post
My first question is what the heck is that big pile of black stuff? There may be some sort of connection inside??
It looks like a foam sealer used to seal the cutout for the holding tank drain pipes. I noticed it was a pretty messy job that looks like it covers part of the fresh water piping.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:06 PM   #44

Quote:
Originally Posted by ukmark View Post
Attachment 104580.
This is the current valve and hose pic.

Tough angle in the picture. Could one or more of the bypass valve handles be 90 degrees out of position. Looks right but just some basics. Hotvwater comes out of the top line on WH right so trace that s,/B easy the lines with hot water will be warm to the touch
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:10 PM   #45
Who Dares, Wins

Yeah, unfortunately they did plumb it all wrong. Lots of pages, but the cliff notes are they hooked the city inlet into the hot water line not cold..

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:13 PM   #46

Quote:
Attachment 104716Attachment 104717

Well as you can see in these pics the city water line ties directly into the hot water lines and I'm assuming that's not good??

Good God so the city water presses water through the WH backwards making all hot cold and all cold hot. Wow nice call. For verification that all else is fine run off the water pump and then all SB well except the faucets that were reversed as the early fix. Nice call.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-13-2016, 12:18 PM   #47
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by Tom48 View Post
Good God so the city water presses water through the WH backwards making all hot cold and all cold hot. Wow nice call. For verification that all else is fine run off the water pump and then all SB well except the faucets that were reversed as the early fix. Nice call.

Actually, the water pump uses the same T as the city connection, so same thing would happen using the pump. But at least it's a simple fix to just move the T. The photo's show the cold line it should have connected to is right beside the hot one where it was connected. Just needs a set of pex crimpers and few ends.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
Old 04-13-2016, 03:38 PM   #48

Quote:
I'm a newbie so take it easy on me. We have a 2015.5 Cherokee 255P Fifth Wheel. From day one the hot water and cold water were reversed, (easy fix on the sinks and shower, just changed out the handles) but hot water also flows into the toilet instead of cold water. I've tried every imaginable combination of valve positions under the sink but I can't for the life of me get it correct??? It's beginning to become a problem since I now spend much more time in the RV. Any Ideas??? Thanks, Mark
We had the same problem and after 2 trip to dealer who said nothing was wrong, we found out a check valve by the water heater had been left out. get that checked. Put one in and no more hot water in toilet.
Silverback Iowan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-03-2016, 11:40 PM   #49

Quote:
Attachment 104716Attachment 104717

Well as you can see in these pics the city water line ties directly into the hot water lines and I'm assuming that's not good??
Same thing just happened to us. Brand new Vibe 207RD, first trip last weekend we found hot and cold reversed and the hot water ran tepid way too fast. I finally got a picture of the problem -- sure enough, the city water is teed into the hot water line instead of the cold. Turns out the hot tap to the outside shower is right next to it and they got them switched. With my phone camera I can see the shower has two cold water taps! So yeah this means that the cold water goes backwards through the water heater which greatly reduces the usable capacity. Ironically if we were running with the tank and pump it would have worked right.

We're taking it in Saturday for the "punch list" service after the first checkout trip. Kind of a sad statement that there is such a thing expected.

How common is misconfigured plumbing?
OregonKen is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, water