Old 03-07-2016, 12:03 PM   #1

hot water delivery issue

Hi, we have a new Catalina SBX 291QBS. we went for our first trip this past weekend and had an issue getting hot water to the sink/shower etc. The system has the electric/gas water heater so we thought maybe that was an issue. we flipped the electric switch off, let set for half a day and then turned on the gas system switch. it ignited and had flame to heat the water. when you turn on the hot water faucet hot water came after a sec or so and then it disappeared followed by slightly more than room temp water.
we could not get consistent HOT water to any outlet in the camper. after reading around here it sounds like their could be a bypass valve open letting the delivery line siphon in cold water to create just warm water.

is this possible? any ideas on trouble shooting or should i just take it back to the dealer and tell them to fix it. ( i hate spending time to get there and back and wait for something if its a minor fix)

Thanks,
Mike

txmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-07-2016, 12:11 PM   #2
Site Team - Lou

This can be caused by 3 things; all easily checked and fixed.

1) The bypass valve in your winterization set up is set to "bypass". That valve MUST be closed to get reliable hot water.

2) The faucets are open and the handset shutoff is closed in either (or both!) the inside shower or the outside showers.

All of these allow cold water to enter the hot water pipes when a hot water tap is opened.
Attached Images

HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:36 AM   #3
Global Nomad

Water Filter

It sounds like you are getting hot water, but it turns to cold. I had that problem and discovered that it was my water filter. I was using a Camico CX90 Taste Pure Water Filter that reduced the flow of water so much that not enough went through the hot water heater (I have an instant heater). When I removed the filter, problem solved. I am now looking for a recommendation for a whole house filter.
2016 Cedar Creek 36CKTS

Scheinin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:45 AM   #4
Site Team

Probably one or conditions listed in post#2. They cover 99% of issues like yours.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 09:45 AM   #5

I vote for the bypass valve being in the wrong configuration. We did the same thing and it took me half a day to figure out the solution.

2016 F250 2WD CC SB XLT 6.2 3,295 lb payload cap.
2014 Salem Hemisphere 282RK 8k lbs loaded, Equal-i-zer WDH, TST 507 TPMS
2018: 24 nights camped
Teamfour is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:19 AM   #6
Pickin' & Campin'

Assuming this is NOT an on demand (instant) water heater that was mentioned in post # 3, the only other SLIM possibility that hasn't been mentioned is that you actually don't have enough hot water in your tank.

This could be caused by a faulty thermostat on the 110v electric side or something wrong on the propane side that would only allow the LP burner to operate a very short time and possibly then go in to lock-out.

The only way to verify hot water in the tank is to open the pop-off valve on the side of the tank and let run a minute or so to see if the water remains hot.

BE VERY CAREFUL doing this!!!!!! The water can be SCALDING hot coming directly out of the pop-off!!!!!!
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '15=22 '16=46 '17=30 '18=51
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 10:36 AM   #7
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Quote:
Originally Posted by Scheinin View Post
It sounds like you are getting hot water, but it turns to cold. I had that problem and discovered that it was my water filter. I was using a Camico CX90 Taste Pure Water Filter that reduced the flow of water so much that not enough went through the hot water heater (I have an instant heater). When I removed the filter, problem solved. I am now looking for a recommendation for a whole house filter.
Got mine at Home Depot, and a few extra filters.......my water fill is on back of trailer above bumper, so used a quick disconnect and a 1" spacer block.....
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:22 AM   #8

thanks for the replies. it happens when on city water as well as with water from tank and pump running. i will dig into the bypass valve (hopefully can find it)
txmike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 11:25 AM   #9
Left Coast

Send a message via Yahoo to bob caldwell
Should be real close to water heater. .maybe behind removable panel
bob caldwell is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-08-2016, 12:53 PM   #10

Agree with Herk7769. After you are sure the heater tank is full, retest the electric element. It would have fried in moments if tank was being bypassed.

Navigator = Xiangbing
Crew = Shikibu
BobHanke is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
hot water, water