Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-29-2011, 04:05 PM   #1

hot water - Forest River FEMA trailer

image:
http://img231.imageshack.us/i/imagehif.jpg/

Sorry for the newbie posting but I LOVE my "like new" Forest River FEMA travel trailer...but I need a bit of help on getting my water and hot water going! I just bought a 1" plug to close that opening the arrow points to in the attached image...so I think that should get the water flowing to the right places. My questions are these however:

1) There doesn't appear to be any button or switch for any kind of water pump...I'm not sure if this is standard or not.

2) I'm look ing at this panel and see something about lighting a pilot. My gas tanks are all installed...exactly what all do I need to do to get hot water working?

Thanks in advance for any insight you can provide on this topic.

Dink
elpanzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 04:37 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Ok, the plug should be fine for now, but probably should have been an anode rod, (look it up at camping world). Now you asked about water pump, you didn't give model number, year, or anything. With over 200 floor plans and trailer styles, how can we help?

Now for water, are you connected to a water supply? (city water), Or is your fresh water tank full? If connected to city water, forget the pump, don't need it.

Since you have the water heater plugged, and when you think you have water, go back to the water heater and open the "pop off" valve, at the top of the heater, above the plug u
you put in. If you have water coming out, then we'll help you get it lit.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-29-2011, 05:09 PM   #3

Thank you for the quick reply. The trailer is WAY out in the woods now and I am trying to find my paperwork to confirm model...sorry. I di indeed have city water connection so sounds great..no worries about a pump.

Will follow your instructions and report back...but one more question in the meantime.

Is there a particluar size for the anode rod? I was told just to get a 1" pipe plug to screw in...from a Forest River service place...but the anode rods I see are 3/4" and 1/2" diameter.
elpanzon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2011, 03:19 PM   #4

Being a FEMA trailer, it will not have a water pump or water tanks or holding tanks of any kind, unless you've installed them yourself or had them installed (which I assume you didn't). They were unnecessary additions on FEMA trailers, which were designed for full city hookup only.
HomeGrown is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2011, 06:55 PM   #5

Got one just like it out in the boonies too.
I have used it for two deer seasons and one turkey.
40-days in it and going strong.
I did retrofit water tanks on mine and plan on adding Black and grey tanks when I get around to it.

ditto on the anode plug.
You can find them on Amazon.

There is a hot water heater (WH) bypass for the water heater.
It is at the back of the WH under the bunk.
It will be near the floor.

Do not turn on the WH until the tank is full
Open the bypass and have someone open the pressure valve on the tank to let the air out as it fills.
Watch for leaks - you never know.
Once it is full you are ready to light it
The switch is beside the stove in the kitchen area.
Turn on the switch.
There is a startup sequence that the WH goes through
I think it tries to light the WH three times then gives up and a red light comes on by the switch(not sure about the red light part i.e. red means fault or red means lit)
You may need to try several times until the gas gets to the WH
I suggest download the manual from the manufacture
Your WH should be a suburban 10 gal gas. unless they changed the spec.
kanati is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
fema, gas, hot water, water plug