Old 04-29-2011, 11:44 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by JKMiner View Post
All is well.

John
Glad all is well. One thing learned early on is that you can take advantage of both the electric and gas side of your W/H. When camping with CG shore power we start out using only the electric side of the W/H. It provides enough hot water for hand and dish washing, etc. However when nightly showers start I fire up the gas side of the W/H after the first shower has taken place. Once we are all done with showers I turn off the gas side. This minimizes our LP gas usage and pretty much guarantees the last person taking a shower won't complain about lack of hot water!

Disclaimer: I have no empirical data on this (electric vs gas vs both) it just has worked for us and a few others on this forum.

frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 05-06-2011, 08:34 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by frankm View Post
Glad all is well. One thing learned early on is that you can take advantage of both the electric and gas side of your W/H. When camping with CG shore power we start out using only the electric side of the W/H. It provides enough hot water for hand and dish washing, etc. However when nightly showers start I fire up the gas side of the W/H after the first shower has taken place. Once we are all done with showers I turn off the gas side. This minimizes our LP gas usage and pretty much guarantees the last person taking a shower won't complain about lack of hot water!

Disclaimer: I have no empirical data on this (electric vs gas vs both) it just has worked for us and a few others on this forum.
Is it ok to quote myself? Is this then a double quote?

While looking for product manuals in the Suburban website I came across this page, Airxcel | Suburban Manufacturing Products

Under Faster Recovery it states:
Faster Recovery
Fast recovery means more hot water and fewer cool water cycles. Six-, 10-, 12- and 16-gallon Suburban gas water heaters feature 12,000 BTUH input and a recovery rate of 10.2 gallons per hour - that's the fastest in the industry. Combination gas/electric models also use a 1,440-watt element to recover an additional 6.0 gallons per hour at campsites. For higher recovery, both the gas and electric element may be used simultaneously. (Emphasis added, frankm)

Suburban also uses a copolymer insulation jacket specially molded to fit the tank. This does a better job of retaining heat than the "cardboard" style used on some competitive models.
Hope this helps.

frankm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 08:46 PM   #13

Warm showers

Ok, it seems that I am still having issues. I am on our big trip in Colorado and need help.

I can run the water heater without issue off of either gas or electric. The problem is, it never really gets very hot. Off of electric, it is warm after a full day of electric only heating. The gas wont fire unless I empty the warm water. By the way, if I release some pressure from the tank outside, the water that spews out is almost hot - but not really.

If I run the gas heater only and let it complete it's heating cycle (about 8 mins), it will be hotter than electric but still I can take a shower with full hot on - no cold and it is pleasant - not hot. My brother has a similar unit in his Rockwood and his gets very hot on electric or gas. So it's not me being unreasonable.

So, I am convinced there is something wrong. I suspect the sensors that tell it to stop heating are set too low. Does anyone have a clue how to adjust it?

I noticed that there is a screw that has a reference mark next to it (see the attached screen shot). Does anyone know if this is the place to adjust the high temp shut off?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water Heater.jpg
Views:	88
Size:	54.8 KB
ID:	6575  
Old 06-27-2011, 09:30 PM   #14

Try checking your bypass valve.
Your cold intake line (bottom water line to the water tank) should be open (handle in line with water line) and the same for the hot out water line (upper water line). The bypass valve is located on a water line that runs between the two. The handle should be crossways (closed) to the water line.
Leaving the bypass open allows the cold water to mix with the hot giving you luke warm water at the faucets.

Hope this helps.

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 06-27-2011, 11:37 PM   #15
49 year camping veteran

On my brand new TT, the hater in gas mode was completely inoperative. No reset light at start-up or anything else.
They said they found one of the crimp connections from the switch to the controller had the wire cut off, though the insulation was still crimped in the connector.

After that, it worked, but then wouldn't shut off at all, and they had to replace the thermostat assy.

Check your fuse first. You could then remove the screws for the water heater switch and test to see if you have power to the switch and then thru the switch when ON to start with.
Maxterra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-29-2011, 11:26 AM   #16

So, today I went and checked the bypass valve again for the 3rd time. It looked right. I thought I may as well open it and close it to be sure the valve is seated properly. When I "Opened" the valve, it was obvious to me then that the valve was now "Closed".

I feel like such an imbecile. We now have really hot water!

My wife is simultaneously ecstatic and PO'd. I can't blame her.

At least I didn't have to pay a $100 for a service charge to flip the valve.

Thanks to all. You tried to tell me. John
Old 06-29-2011, 02:30 PM   #17

Good to see you got it fixed. The bypass valve is a common mistake made by newbies and experienced rv'ers. Just something that is easy to overlook.

Good luck and happy camping!

Gary & Trish
"PT Crew Member Since 11/2010"
2017 Prime Time Crusader 315RST TE 6.0 : 2007 Flagstaff 206ST MAC Series
2012 F-250 Lariat : FX4 : CC : SB : 6.7L Diesel : 3/55 Gears

2017 Nights Camped - 4
grhodes50 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 08-22-2011, 12:00 PM   #18

Seems like I'm having a problem with my gas water heater system sometimes. I hear the igniter clicking and then an explosion. This repeats several times and stops. If I open the exterior door to the water heater and turn the switch inside the rv off wait a minute and turn it back on, it lights right away with the door open.

Any ideas?

2011 2902ss Rockwood Ultralight
2008 Grand Cherokee 3.0L Diesel (255 hp @ 2900 rpm / 430 lb-ft @ 1,400-2,800 rpm)
3P ProPride Hitch
RV Mods
Wandering RV Life
WestCoastRV'er is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-27-2011, 07:30 PM   #19

Two things here: 1) Being as I install water heaters in my side business, I am amused when people call them "HOT water heaters". They actually heat cold water--as far as I know. 2) How does one tell if their water heater in their camper ('06 GS291) is both electric and gas? I believe mine is only gas. Just wondering. Thanks, David
Old 08-27-2011, 07:53 PM   #20
Lottery Non-Winner

If it is gas, you will have an on/off switch and that will light the burner (flame). If it is also electric, there will be an additional switch to run it on electricity (mine's outside the RV, inside the water heater shroud).
A previous camper I owned had a gas only water heater.
A previous previous camper I owned was dual and had the electric switch for the water heater inside near the sink.
A previous previous previous camper I owned was gas only.
The last two mentioned (previous x2 and previous x3) were both manually lit meaning I had to go outside with a lighter and light the thing by hand.

2011 Georgetown 337
2009 HD FLHTCU
2007 HD FXSTC
Ovair is offline   Reply With Quote