Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-03-2016, 04:18 PM   #1
TT Newbie

Hot water heater issues (Atwood E/P)

Okay, had the new TT out for the 2nd run this weekend and experienced an issue with hot water. TT is a Coachmen Freedom Express 50th Anniversary Ed, 236 BHS. Per the manuals, I have an Atwood water heater - HC6AA-EP - runs on both electric and propane.

So, we ran it on electric, and it wasn't particularly hot; the sales guy said he generally switches it over to propane when it is time for kids bath/shower, etc., then switches it back to electric. So we decided to try propane. Could hear it light, ran for about 2 minutes then went off and wouldn't come back on. Tried it again the next morning, came on, ran for about 5 minutes and turned off. Wouldn't come back on. Same thing this morning. And as I mentioned, on electric it wasn't particularly hot.

Some nice folks at the campground who also had a Freedom Express tried to troubleshoot with me, but we couldn't seem to come up with any answers. Suggestion was possibly that I have 2 issues: 1) a block in the propane line running to the water heater? (the propane stove worked fine); and 2) maybe thermostat isn't turned up?

We've only owed this TT a few weeks and it is our first, so I am a complete newbie with troubleshooting this stuff. The manuals are not particularly helpful, and when I pull up the bunk to expose the pipes, etc. below, I really don't have any idea what I'm looking at.

Not sure if this is an easy thing I can troubleshoot myself or if I need to take it in for servicing?
Old 07-03-2016, 04:23 PM   #2

It sounds like your water heater's winterizing bypass is in the bypass position.

Bruce
Old 07-03-2016, 04:32 PM   #3

X2 on winterizing valves
Old 07-03-2016, 05:07 PM   #4
TT Newbie

Okay, so how do I check this? When I did open up the bunk and look under there, I saw three different knobs, all of which were parallel to the pipe/hose they were on, which I thought was correct? The seller (an RV Consignment dealer) did the de-winterizing for us....
Old 07-03-2016, 08:22 PM   #5

If all valves are parallel with the pipe they are attached to then the bypass is on and needs to be turned off. You should see a red and blue pipe with valves on them then there should be a third that is on a pipe connecting the red and blue. That one needs to be off, perpendicular to the pipe.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 05:42 AM   #6
TT Newbie

Quote:
Originally Posted by Dwilcox View Post
If all valves are parallel with the pipe they are attached to then the bypass is on and needs to be turned off. You should see a red and blue pipe with valves on them then there should be a third that is on a pipe connecting the red and blue. That one needs to be off, perpendicular to the pipe.

Okay, I'll try that. Follow up - if the bypass is/was on, and so little or no water was getting to the water heater, have we just ruined the water heater? The electric switch was on, which I assume means the heating element was trying to heat non-existant water....
Old 07-04-2016, 05:46 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by atlanticjay View Post
Okay, I'll try that. Follow up - if the bypass is/was on, and so little or no water was getting to the water heater, have we just ruined the water heater? The electric switch was on, which I assume means the heating element was trying to heat non-existant water....
No. Your element should be fine. You have water going into and out of your tank, but you are mixing hot and cold water by having the one valve that is not going into or out of your water heater parallel with the pipe. Turn that valve so it is perpendicular with the pipe and everything will be good,

Bruce
Old 07-04-2016, 09:41 AM   #8
Site Team

Check the "no or minimal hot water" sticky thread we have at the very first of this subtopic you are posting in. It will have diagrams and explain your bypass/crossover valves.

Sent from my Z958 using Tapatalk

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-04-2016, 03:02 PM   #9

check outside shower to make sure valves are closed. we had same problem seems dealer left them open and once we clised them hot water hapoened
nephi007 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-05-2016, 09:50 AM   #10

Frost on the pumkins

saw your post on lack of hot water--
Have a EVO 280 + am a new-beeeee! same prob- By-pass was on! Good I didn't wait for the(MAN) to fix it as the pipes were leaking. Hand tightened the fittings+ a happy puppy. Now just need to dry out the floor+ take a HOT shower!!!!
A smile is contagious!!!
Broncorick is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
heater, hot water, water, water heater