Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-25-2011, 08:11 PM   #1

Hot water heater probe

When i removed my drain plug there was a lot of build up on the probe. Is that normal? Do u replace it or clean it ? Would like to add a drain plug with cock pit or do i need the probe style?
JEFF BARTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:28 PM   #2

The probe is actually called an anode rod. It is normal for it to corrode as its job is to attract the corrosive elements so they do not attack the tank itself. Some like to replace it annually, I just replace the rod when it gets too corroded, otherwise I just put it back in.
Old 09-25-2011, 08:29 PM   #3

i believe ur talking abt the anode rod. it is normal for it to look eaten. when it gets abt 2/3 gone, it will need to be replaced (the anode is built around a wire...the wire will remain).
if u have an Atwood, there is an anode rod built with a drain on it. believe the Atwood is 1/2" thread. As far as i know, there isn't one with a drain made for the Suburban. i believe the suburban has a 3/4" thread.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:37 PM   #4

Should i drain my hw heater every time ? Should i remove drain or use low point drain instead?
JEFF BARTON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 08:49 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

If it will be a month or more, I drain the water heater by removing the anode rod. The low point drains will not drain it. I find that after a month, the water left in the tank will start to smell a little. No real harm, I don't drink hot water, and try to flush the tank well before my first shower.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-25-2011, 09:16 PM   #6

i pull mine only when i winterize. i drain then put it back in. i also trip the hot water heater breaker and put a reminder tag on it. (the element won't last very long w/o water around it...in operation).
the reason i put the anode back in is to protect the threads from rust. there are other reasons ie small creatures crawling in.
I haven't experienced the smell yet but that is going to depend a lot on what water was last used in there. at any rate, a shower should clear out the old water.
the first time i pulled my anode was 8 yrs after i bought the trailer (new). i had abt 25% of the anode left. that only means that i have camped where the water is not that conductive (low mineral content). i don't recommend going nearly that long with out pulling it. now i pull it every year.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote