Old 06-03-2008, 07:00 PM   #1

hot water heater problem

we have a suburban HW heater on our wildwood camper. this past weekend we started having problems with it not relighting automatically and we had to switch the inside reset off and on to relight. the water was very hot.

after two times having to relight we noticed later in the day that water was blowing out the outside grille. I turned the inside switch off and turned off the water supply to stop the blow off out the pressure relief valve.

anyone had this happen, i guess the presure relief was doing what it was suppose to do and that there is a themostat problem causing the water to overheat, what do you think.

thanks

Old 06-03-2008, 09:09 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by wildwood View Post
we have a suburban HW heater on our wildwood camper. this past weekend we started having problems with it not relighting automatically and we had to switch the inside reset off and on to relight. the water was very hot.

after two times having to relight we noticed later in the day that water was blowing out the outside grille. I turned the inside switch off and turned off the water supply to stop the blow off out the pressure relief valve.

anyone had this happen, i guess the presure relief was doing what it was suppose to do and that there is a themostat problem causing the water to overheat, what do you think.

thanks
Yes, if the themostat sticks the water will get too hot and the relief will open. Just make sure that the relief valve is the correct one for your water heater. If the the relief valve is rated too high for your heater, the valve will not open and the tank could split. Change the themostat.

Old 06-04-2008, 07:46 PM   #3

I am having dealer do it under warranty while it is in shop for them to add a ladder

thanks
Old 06-05-2008, 11:06 AM   #4
Site Team

Yes, it sounds like bad/defective thermostat on the gas side.

question-- do you have an electric element also?
If so, you could have shut off the gas hot water switch and
turned on the electric.
I believe they have separate thermostats but am not positive.
Of course, if you were boondocking you couldn't do that.
Just a thought.....
Old 06-05-2008, 12:35 PM   #5

I was able to baby sit it and get enough water out.

I do have dual source/gas/electric

thanks

phil
Old 07-14-2008, 04:21 PM   #6

Is the switch for the electric element usally in the trailer or in the heater. I ask because I plugged in to a shore line the other day and was blowing the circuit in my garage. I traced it down to a switch in the heater. Iheard sizzleing under the sink (heater was drained). Once I turned it off the circuit did not blow. This is in a Cherokee toy hauler
Old 07-14-2008, 04:38 PM   #7
The Jolly Mon

Send a message via Yahoo to NDJollyMon
There is usually a switch on the heater itself, and a circuit breaker that also powers it.
Don't run the heater without water...or it burns out the element....quickly!
I always left the water heater switch on, and when I wanted to use the heater in electric mode, I flipped on the breaker. I think some units have a wall switch controlling electric and gas.

2018 Wildwood Grand Lodge 42 DLTS
-Seasonal Space, Northern MN.
-2017 Sylvan 8522 LZ LES/115 Merc/Sea Legs
NDJollyMon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2008, 04:05 PM   #8

My wall switch only controls the gas side. I was having trouble with the heater one day and thought somebody turned off the switch on the heater so I turned it on. I thought it armed the gas heater. I did not know it had an electric element witch explains why I was blowing a breaker. At that time the heater had water in it. Of cource my breakers are not labeled.
Old 07-17-2008, 10:59 PM   #9

the vendor says the thermostat and another switch is bad and he will replace on warranty. there was also a leak in plumbing, maybe due to very hot water, not sure. hope they get it fixed we are suppose to use it this saturday

enjoy the summer