Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-14-2018, 08:09 AM   #1

Hot Water Heater Problem - Newbie

I am living full time in a Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 2017 rbxl and am a complete newbie. And to be totally honest, I am a girl that's not very mechanically inclined. Everything runs off of electricity except the hot water heater and stove. When taking a shower last evening, I ran out of hot water shortly after beginning my shower. I assumed it was the propane tank. After changing it today, it still would not work. It seemed not to catch and would stop after a loud click. I am not sure what to try at this point. I think perhaps I might have done something wrong when changing the propane tanks. I am not sure what to try at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
MLaine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:23 AM   #2
Coach

How many showers had you taken before this happened? These hot water tanks are small and hot water doesn't last very long. Are you sure you just didn't run out of hot water and didn't allow enough recovery time?

2017 Sandpiper 381RBOK
2006 Ram 3500 Cummins Dually
valleyduo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:24 AM   #3

Have you tried doing a search (at top of page toolbar) on water heater issues? Tons of info on the subject. I would suggest you fill out your profile somewhat. Don't know whereabouts you are fulltiming it, but, if cold weather is a factor, and I assume it is, don't be afraid to search topics like cold weather camping, propane use in cold temps and look into how propane behaves in low temps. Try asking Google as well. Are you running the WH on electric as well? Hope I've pointed you in the proper direction. Good luck and happy holidays!
jeff64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:37 AM   #4
dotsonjc

Do you hear the water heater igniter clicking? You might need to turn off the water heater at the control panel to reset the Direct Spark Igniter (DSI). If you truly ran out of gas, the DSI will stop trying after three (3) attempts as it recognizes it can't light. Usually turning off at the control panel and back on will reset and solve the problem

Past:
2012 Coachman Freedom Express 22DSX
dotsonjc is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:38 AM   #5

I have been full timing it for just over a year. And cold weather could be an issue. I am located in New England, but never had any issues for all of last winter. I will research the topics you suggested. Thank you. I gratefully appreciate all suggestion.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:39 AM   #6
Site Team

It sounds like you are saying your water heater is not lighting.
We really need a follow up and a bit more information.

Have you taken showers before and had the hot water you needed or expected??
Is this a new development or is this your 1st time showering in this trailer?
2016 Evergreen Everlite 242RBS
29' empty nest model. Blue Ox WD hitch
(1 queen bed, large main cabin and huge bathroom)
Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41, 2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-44, 2017-63, 2018-75, 2019-32, 2020-41, 2021-49, 2022-43, 2023-66
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:49 AM   #7
Site Team

After changing the propane tank, does the stove burners light? Just trying to rule out a propane issue.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:50 AM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by MLaine View Post
I am living full time in a Forest River Salem Cruise Lite 2017 rbxl and am a complete newbie. And to be totally honest, I am a girl that's not very mechanically inclined. Everything runs off of electricity except the hot water heater and stove. When taking a shower last evening, I ran out of hot water shortly after beginning my shower. I assumed it was the propane tank. After changing it today, it still would not work. It seemed not to catch and would stop after a loud click. I am not sure what to try at this point. I think perhaps I might have done something wrong when changing the propane tanks. I am not sure what to try at this point. Any suggestions would be greatly appreciated.
Have you used your stove top since changing out the gas tank? Could be an airlock in the gas line. Turn the gas off at the tank then slowly turn it back on. Try the stove top and get all three burners going then try the WH again.

Don't forget the pilot light in the oven.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:51 AM   #9

I hear a click with the water heater, but then a loud click when it clicks off again. I will try turning off the water heater at the control panel.
Old 12-14-2018, 08:52 AM   #10

Are your gas burners on the stove working? Does the heater under the sink work? They are both propane. Do you have enough hot water for a shower in the past and this is now a new problem? If you have never had enough hot water for a quick shower your bypass valves could be in the wrong position.
Andersen hitch
CedarCreekWoody is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #11
Pickin', Campin', Mason

MLaine, welcome to the forum.

If you really did run out of LP, it is possible you have some air in the lines after replacing the tank. It often takes several tries of a LP appliance to purge the air from the system.

Have you tried lighting the stove to see if the burners work? Sometimes that helps purge the air. Have you turned the water heater (not a hot water heater) off then back on?

Also, sometimes after changing the LP tank, if you turn the tank valve on too quickly, the tank's internal safety valve will close shutting off the flow of gas. It's designed to to cut off the flow in the case of an accident where the line might get severed but often time when you run the entire LP system empty, turning on the valve after a tank exchange has the same effect as it tries to fill the LP plumbing system.

As KyDan has suggested, give us a little more information so we can help you.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 08:58 AM   #12

Definitely try turning the water heater switch inside TT off, count to 10, then turn back on. One other thought while you are sorting the propane for the water heater. A 2017 TT probably has a dual water heater, i.e. it runs on propane, electric, or both. Assuming you are hooked to electric, the electric switch for hte water heater isn't in the trailer, it's on the lower left corner of the water heater. You can access from outside the trailer. The water heater cover will look like it has a pop can tab sticking through it that is turned sideways and laid flat. Turn that so it lines up with the slot in the cover and the cover will drop down. The electric switch can be hard to see because they seal them with rubber. Ours is in the lower left corner. Verify there is water in the tank before turning the electric on, if the tank is dry it will burn the element. You can verify water is in tank by briefly lifting valve on top of water spigot at top of WH, water should come out.
Good luck. The search can be useful, it can also pull up a lot of threads totally unrelated to what you are looking for.
MillMitch is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:00 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by KyDan View Post
It sounds like you are saying your water heater is not lighting.
We really need a follow up and a bit more information.

Have you taken showers before and had the hot water you needed or expected??
Is this a new development or is this your 1st time showering in this trailer?

I have taken showers many before and had the hot water that I needed. This is a new development. Happened while I was in the shower, but this has never happened before. It has been a few months since I have had to switch tanks, so that's why initially I thought that's what the problem could be.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:03 AM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post
Are your gas burners on the stove working? Does the heater under the sink work? They are both propane. Do you have enough hot water for a shower in the past and this is now a new problem? If you have never had enough hot water for a quick shower your bypass valves could be in the wrong position.
Are you suggesting she has a tankless water heater or are you referring to some other LP heater under the sink?

Old 12-14-2018, 09:04 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by CedarCreekWoody View Post

I haven't tired the gas burners on the stove. I didn't think to try that, and I will as soon as I get home from work. I have had enough hot water for a shower in the past, and it is anew problem.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:05 AM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Are you suggesting she has a tankless water heater or are you referring to some other LP heater under the sink?

Just to clarify, if it helps, I don't have a tankless water heater.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:10 AM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by MillMitch View Post
Definitely try turning the water heater switch inside TT off, count to 10, then turn back on. One other thought while you are sorting the propane for the water heater. A 2017 TT probably has a dual water heater, i.e. it runs on propane, electric, or both. Assuming you are hooked to electric, the electric switch for hte water heater isn't in the trailer, it's on the lower left corner of the water heater. You can access from outside the trailer. The water heater cover will look like it has a pop can tab sticking through it that is turned sideways and laid flat. Turn that so it lines up with the slot in the cover and the cover will drop down. The electric switch can be hard to see because they seal them with rubber. Ours is in the lower left corner. Verify there is water in the tank before turning the electric on, if the tank is dry it will burn the element. You can verify water is in tank by briefly lifting valve on top of water spigot at top of WH, water should come out.
Good luck. The search can be useful, it can also pull up a lot of threads totally unrelated to what you are looking for.

Thank you so much. I will try this as soon as I get chance.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:15 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
MLaine, welcome to the forum.

If you really did run out of LP, it is possible you have some air in the lines after replacing the tank. It often takes several tries of a LP appliance to purge the air from the system.

Have you tried lighting the stove to see if the burners work? Sometimes that helps purge the air. Have you turned the water heater (not a hot water heater) off then back on?

Also, sometimes after changing the LP tank, if you turn the tank valve on too quickly, the tank's internal safety valve will close shutting off the flow of gas. It's designed to to cut off the flow in the case of an accident where the line might get severed but often time when you run the entire LP system empty, turning on the valve after a tank exchange has the same effect as it tries to fill the LP plumbing system.

As KyDan has suggested, give us a little more information so we can help you.

Thank you so much. All of the suggestions are extremely helpful. I am going to try them all later this afternoon when I get home from work.

I am not sure how to add information to my profile. I am so sorry to be such a newbie, but I am so very grateful for the help.
Old 12-14-2018, 09:20 AM   #19
Site Team

Quote:
Thank you so much. All of the suggestions are extremely helpful. I am going to try them all later this afternoon when I get home from work.

I am not sure how to add information to my profile. I am so sorry to be such a newbie, but I am so very grateful for the help.
Don't be sorry to be a newbie. We all were/are.
On the full site, click User CP (User Control Panel/Program/Page) at the top of the page and edit Details and Signature and anything else that will help. Don't include your phone number.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-14-2018, 09:21 AM   #20
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:

If on a computer, go to the User CP (control panel) link toward the top left of the page.
There you can add a signature line, an avatar and other information.
Be sure to click save after adding the information.

Do not apologize for being a newbie.... we all were there at some point too.
Asking questions helps us ALL learn.

EDIT: Mr. Dan types faster than me!

Tags
heater, hot water, newbie, water, water heater