Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-27-2013, 03:32 PM   #1

Hot water heater won't light

I have an Atwood model G10-3E. I haven't had it a month, and the other day the water heater decided not to light. There's a switch above the sink in the kitchen, and so far the light has been turning red for a second, then it lights. Now, the red light doesn't even come on.

I have two small bottles of propane, but everything except the water heater is running off of electricity, if that helps. I'm not sure where to go from here. The pilot light is lit, and I checked all the fuses, they seem fine. Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

I'm gonna try to post a picture of the outside panel for clarification, as soon as I can figure out how from my phone.
westbrook89 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 03:42 PM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by westbrook89 View Post
I have an Atwood model G10-3E. I haven't had it a month, and the other day the water heater decided not to light. There's a switch above the sink in the kitchen, and so far the light has been turning red for a second, then it lights. Now, the red light doesn't even come on.

I have two small bottles of propane, but everything except the water heater is running off of electricity, if that helps. I'm not sure where to go from here. The pilot light is lit, and I checked all the fuses, they seem fine. Any advice would be MUCH appreciated.

I'm gonna try to post a picture of the outside panel for clarification, as soon as I can figure out how from my phone.
Are you sure you have a pilot light? From what I just read of that model number online it has a Direct Spark Ignitor (DSI).

http://www.americanrvcompany.com/Atw...per-Trailer-RV

Not sure if the Atwoods perform like the Suburban water heaters with DSI, but on a Suburban if the gas doesn't ignite after a few spark attempts from the DSI...the whole system locks itself out.

You then have to turn off the DSI water heater switch inside your camper for about 30 seconds and then turn it back on to start the process again.

You have to make sure you have LP gas and it's getting to the water heater. Have you recently changed the tanks or ran out of gas?

Now just on a side note, if the water is already hot inside the heater, it won't ignite because the thermostat is telling it that there's no need. Have you confirmed the water is cold

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:03 PM   #3

Yeah, I have a pilot flame. I lit it manually. I have plenty of LP, changed it two weeks ago, but the heater worked fine until the day before yesterday. If the DSI switch is the one with the red light above the sink, turning off for 30 seconds didn't help. :/ Thanks, though.

And yeah, water's cold. No warmth whatsoever.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:15 PM   #4

Quote:
Yeah, I have a pilot flame. I lit it manually. I have plenty of LP, changed it two weeks ago, but the heater worked fine until the day before yesterday. If the DSI switch is the one with the red light above the sink, turning off for 30 seconds didn't help. :/ Thanks, though.

And yeah, water's cold. No warmth whatsoever.

Will this help? Wonder why the light is not working?
http://manuals.adventurerv.net/Atwoo...er-Service.pdf

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 04:19 PM   #5
Site Team

I was about to post the same link Brother Les did. According to that model number, it's not supposed to have a pilot light, but is electronic ignition (DSI).

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
Old 09-27-2013, 04:24 PM   #6

Start around page 16 for suggestions.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:39 PM   #7

Ooookay. I think I've got the picture attached now. I circled the pilot in blue, though you can't see the flame this time of day. And the one I circled in green is a slightly burned wire that I don't remember having seen before. Maybe that has something to do with it?
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater.jpg
Views:	632
Size:	61.9 KB
ID:	40352  
Old 09-27-2013, 04:44 PM   #8

Quote:
Ooookay. I think I've got the picture attached now. I circled the pilot in blue, though you can't see the flame this time of day. And the one I circled in green is a slightly burned wire that I don't remember having seen before. Maybe that has something to do with it?
What you circled would not be where the pilot light would go if it had one. That is where air and propane mix area. Where the pilot light would be is on to the right in the hole area. My older manual lit water tank the pilot would be there next to the large burner. Look through the manual and read about pilot lights etc.

Old 09-27-2013, 04:54 PM   #9
Site Team

Quote:
And the one I circled in green is a slightly burned wire that I don't remember having seen before. Maybe that has something to do with it?
We need to see what that wire controls, as that may certainly be the problem.

Do you see the red arrow I placed in your pic. This is the electronic ignition /DSI part. This is what makes sparks electronically to ignite your propane when the heater needs to light up. You shouldn't/don't have a pilot light.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Water heater.jpg
Views:	528
Size:	48.1 KB
ID:	40353  

Old 09-27-2013, 04:59 PM   #10

Oh, crap. Do you think that brown wire is causing it not to work now?
Old 09-27-2013, 05:02 PM   #11

Okay, I get it now. I hope I haven't screwed it up. Running off no experience and no homework. I guess I'll learn to read up on stuff before I start setting it on fire.

There's a diagram on the panel showing me where both of those brown wires go, but I don't know what I'm looking at, to be honest. You guys are awesome.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:06 PM   #12
Site Team

Quote:
Oh, crap. Do you think that brown wire is causing it not to work now?
Very possible. I can't tell real good from the pic, but that burned wire.... is it plugged into where it says thermostat?

Old 09-27-2013, 05:08 PM   #13

It is.
Old 09-27-2013, 05:22 PM   #14
Site Team

OK, I am about to be away from a computer for a few hours, so someone else may take this up before I get back.

Is the burnt wire actually burnt in two anywhere, is the wire blackened ...and/is there melted pieces of it's sheathing stuck in between the wires that you can see (this would prevent good electrical flow)?

Don't attempt any repairs with DC or AC voltage present.

Old 09-27-2013, 05:27 PM   #15

Not that I can tell, on either subject. It looks to me that the wire is still intact, but there is some of the sheathing that's pretty well blackened, so there may be a little bit mixed in throughout the wires...but not that I see.
Old 09-27-2013, 06:22 PM   #16

after u have made the repairs, try making sure something hasn't got into the burner or tube leading to it. also make sure the orifice (where the gas comes out and mixes with the air) isn't plugged.
sometimes a spider or something might crawl up in there and make itself at home. this will cause it to come out where it shouldn't and burn the wires. the path thru the heater should be checked but i would watch it light and see if this is a concern.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-27-2013, 08:47 PM   #17

I really don't know a lot about camper Water heaters, but I have worked on a lot of home electric ones. When I come across burnt wires like that, it usually tells me that the nearest thermostat has stuck on and got really hot and the breaker did not pop fast enough. The wire heats up and melts the covering. I always change out the thermostat close to that wire and also change out that wire. Be glad that it is not coming on anymore, to tell you that you have a problem that needs to looked at by someone who knows what he is doing. Breakers and Fuses are there for reasons such as this. Shut the power and what ever you can to the WH and heat up your water on the stove until you know exactly what is wrong and that it is fixed right.

Safety first and always.

Old 09-27-2013, 08:51 PM   #18

Quote:
Not that I can tell, on either subject. It looks to me that the wire is still intact, but there is some of the sheathing that's pretty well blackened, so there may be a little bit mixed in throughout the wires...but not that I see.
The wire is now a little bit brittle and the covering may flake off at any time. This is an electrical safety hazard. If making a short term repair, wrap it up in black electrical tape (110v power off when doing this). Once home replace it with a new wire

Tags
heater, hot water, light, water, water heater