Old 07-30-2016, 07:12 PM   #1
Hot water leak in 2011 WP19

I just put my 2011 Wolf Pack Toy Hauler WP19 back in service after winter storage. The cold water system pressurized fine, with no leaks. After I reinstalled the plug in the bottom of the water heater and filled the hot water system, I had water running our from underneath the microwave and fridge area, and it was also leaking out onto the ground in the area under the fridge.. The leak stopped as soon as I depressurized the hot water system. So 2 questions for the experts:

1. Does the hot water line flow from the heater to the shower to the vanity sink, and then pass under the floor over to the kitchen sink? If so is there a place where I can temporarily cut the crossover line and install a shutoff valve so that I can use the shower and vanity sink. I am experienced with PEX and I have the proper fittings, crimper, and check gages.
2. How do I best gain access to repair the line? I am guessing a mouse chewed through it since it was properly winterized, plus we actually had a mouse chew through a CPVC line in the barn right next to the where the trailer was parked. There is no access to the leak from under the sink, so I am considering pulling the microwave or fridge to gain access. Alternately, can I gain access from under the trailer?

Anyhow, thanks for any advice.

snowjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 02:56 PM   #2
Problem found

The problem has been found.

1. Yes, the hot water does pass from the heater to shower to vanity sink to underfloor to kitchen, and yes you can cut the line below the Tee at the vanity sink and install a shutoff valve to isolate the system from downstream leaks.

2. Apologies to the mice. The problem was that the factory PEX line was routed through a horizontal shelf/bulkhead near the fridge and microwave through a 2" hole and then turned from vertical to horizontal, but no sleeve or corner protector was used and the edge of the wood chafed through the PEX line in only 4 years.

3. The cold water line has the same issue and will fail in the future for the same reason, but the hot water failed first because the PEX is constantly expanding and contracting with the temperature change of the water.

PEX should never be installed in a manner where it can rub against the edge of wood or metal without a protective sleeve or 90 degree bend protector. Forest River needs to follow proper installation procedures.

snowjacks is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-04-2016, 03:00 PM   #3
Sorry you had problems but glad you found it, fixed it and reported back.

This will help others in the future.
2016 Flagstaff 8529IKBS Diamond Package 5th Wheel
Ford F-Series SCREW 4x4
TST Tire Monitor - Sinemate 3500w Gen.
2016 Nights Camped = 44
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote

2011, hot water, leak, water, water leak