Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-16-2016, 11:33 AM   #1

Hot water problems and leaks in a weird spot? Salem CL 261BHXL

I have only two issues with our trailer and they seem to be ones that Camping World cannot figure out. (Mostly because they won't listen)

1. When we use our shower- it causes water to leak in the front of the trailer by the kitchen sink. Any ideas why or how to fix? It only leaks when you use the shower.

2. We seem to only get like a gallon or so of hot water. We have a 6 gallon tank but the water is only warm for a minute or so. Then it's lukewarm for about 4 minutes and then freezing!

I don't know if the two issues are related by I am so frustrated with it- I could scream!

Run Free Sweet Riley 2009-2015

Visit our blog for more information and details!
www.kels4g.com
Kels4g is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:42 AM   #2
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels4g View Post
I have only two issues with our trailer and they seem to be ones that Camping World cannot figure out. (Mostly because they won't listen)

1. When we use our shower- it causes water to leak in the front of the trailer by the kitchen sink. Any ideas why or how to fix? It only leaks when you use the shower.

2. We seem to only get like a gallon or so of hot water. We have a 6 gallon tank but the water is only warm for a minute or so. Then it's lukewarm for about 4 minutes and then freezing!

I don't know if the two issues are related by I am so frustrated with it- I could scream!
#2 is a very common occurrence that can be caused by incorrectly set bypass valves. Hold on and I will get you some links to help.

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 11:45 AM   #3
Site Team

Try here for more information on the bypass valve(s)

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...lp-100550.html

and here:

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ml#post1051613

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 12:19 PM   #4

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kels4g View Post

In reference to your #1 leaky shower: Water leaks can make us all scream because of how water amazingly travels creating that mystery of where the heck it's coming from...?!? When you say it only happens when the shower is used, then that's half the battle. The other half would be, is it traveling somehow from the shower diverter (inside the shower faucet wall) or, is it a single line (hot or cold supply line) issue within your cabinet/wall. I'm especially guessing since I don't know your floor plan. But, depending on how things are plumbed, it could even be coming from the shower drain...? Easy way to test: Put a bucket in your shower, let the bucket capture the running shower. If there is a leak, you would know it's NOT escaping from your drain. Then the focus would be on the supply lines or the diverter/shower faucet handles. Unscrew the shower head/hose off the faucet housing. The handles are typically front mounted and held in place with a small hex or allen screw of sorts. If you can pull the handles off, there's typically a plastic valve nut that holds the valve housing to the valves themselves and the plumb lines. Once you get that housing loosened up there should be a little bit of play with the plumb lines that are mounted on the back of the diverter. I'm assuming that, at this point, you may be able to see if there is any signs of leaking behind that fixture or in the wall. I would at this point, try to turn on the hot and/or cold valves (perhaps with pliers) to see if you find your leaking source.....?
Sure hope I haven't confused the matter and there's some sense of help here for you!
Best wishes
RingoRoy15 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:18 PM   #5

Shower Leak

We've had the same problem with water leaking onto the kitchen floor. We found that the shower base wasn't caulked where it meets the shower wall and water was running down and under the wall and door. It stopped once it was sealed.

Regarding the lack of enough hot water, it sounds like you may have a problem somewhere with the gas valve not getting enough propane pressure. Spiders can get into the air supply causing reduced BTU's. I also assume the valves on the propane tank(s) are fully open and the lines fully open and checked for leaks. Good luck, but it can be a real mystery. Camping World should be able to find this!!
gfarmcafe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 01:55 PM   #6
Pickin', Campin', Mason

wmtire gave you some very good reference to your hot water problem if the bypass valves or outside shower valves are in the incorrect positions. Be sure to check them.
Bypass valve problems 'typically' cause the hot water to come and go in cycles though, not start off warm, lukewarm and then get freezing.

From your description, it almost sounds to me like 'maybe' the water heater isn't coming up to full temperature before shutting off.

You didn't mention whether you were operating the WH on gas or electric.

If on gas, have you checked to see if the burner is functioning correctly? (ie: good flame and stays lit for several minutes. Mine takes about 10 minutes to come up to temperature on full flame at start-up)

If you were on electric, it's possible the hi-temp thermostat is faulty causing the element to shut off before coming up to proper temperature.

Just some things to consider.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 02:06 PM   #7

We have a propane water heater. I have not checked out the flame.

I will try all of these suggestions and hopefully something fixes it.

Thanks all!

www.kels4g.com
Old 02-16-2016, 02:28 PM   #8

Water leaks

I have a new Rockwell 8325ss 3 weeks old when ever I turn heater on for hot water I develope a leak under the kitchen sink above the hot water heater. This leak is from the connection to the kitchen sink not sure how to tighten fitting is nut on facet end or tubing end and hard to get at under sink
RAYSR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:08 PM   #9

The specialty tool for tightening those nuts under the sink is called a "basin wrench". If the fittings are plastic, be careful not to overtighten them, something very easy to do with the wrench. They should seal when tightened no more than 1/4 turn after the compression washer makes contact.

If the leak is from where the nut assembly is inserted into the flexible pipe, you'll either need the special crimping tool to tighten it or will need to replace the crimp collar with a regular pipe clamp.

Most hardware stores should have the tool.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2016, 06:54 PM   #10

So, I went outside and looked and I did not see any on/off switch for electric. I am not sure if there should be water in the bottom like that though or rust when it's not even a year old!

I can try to look again when it's actually light outside instead of relying on my cell phone cameras flash.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	c19bf534-250b-4405-8265-c40e619b6a37.jpg
Views:	122
Size:	31.6 KB
ID:	99710   Click image for larger version

Name:	8099538a-1b21-49af-85a2-636a96ef91b0.jpg
Views:	112
Size:	29.0 KB
ID:	99711  

www.kels4g.com
Old 02-16-2016, 08:02 PM   #11

Okay...so we've been trouble shooting this all night and just turning on the water heater is what causes under the sink to leak...however, our water heater is located under our back bunk. Any ideas on how to solve this?

www.kels4g.com
Old 02-20-2016, 08:34 AM   #12

On my 261BHXL the main red and blue lines are on and the crossover pipe is off.(lever right angle to pipe) Is that how yours are set?
brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:20 AM   #13

On the short hot water problem did you bleed the system by opening a hot water faucet until you got a clear flow,before lighting heater?
On the leak there is pretty good access behind the drawers (lift small black levers on side rails with drawers open) and by removing the small wood panel held by one screw behind right lower cabinet. You should be able to see the leak.
brannon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 09:56 AM   #14
Site Team

In the second picture you posted, there seems to be a lot of crud on the bottom of the outside WH housing. You also say it only occurs when you turn on the WH. it is possible that the relief valve is not working properly and leaking when the WH is on. Try opening the valve let some water out ( in case there is crud in it) then close it. Dry the area and then turn on WH and check to see if it is leaking. leaks in RVs are very hard to find as many times the leak is many feet from where you notice the water.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-20-2016, 11:17 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
In the second picture you posted, there seems to be a lot of crud on the bottom of the outside WH housing. You also say it only occurs when you turn on the WH. it is possible that the relief valve is not working properly and leaking when the WH is on. Try opening the valve let some water out ( in case there is crud in it) then close it. Dry the area and then turn on WH and check to see if it is leaking. leaks in RVs are very hard to find as many times the leak is many feet from where you notice the water.
We will try that today. We have identified where the leak is. I posted a video in my other thread. At this point, I think that fixing the leak will fix both issues.

www.kels4g.com
Old 02-20-2016, 01:43 PM   #16

I think we fixed it! We can't see anymore water leaking and the water seems to be staying hot too! Will be taking a shower soon to confirm. SO excited!

www.kels4g.com
Old 02-29-2016, 06:49 PM   #17

We have fixed it! Thanks everyone who responded.

The leak was a matter of the connectors for the hot water line not being tightened enough.

The hot water being lukewarm was because the bypass valve was not fully opened.

As this time, both issues are 100% resolved!

www.kels4g.com

Tags
hot water, leak, salem, water