Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 09-03-2014, 11:23 PM   #1
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 50
Hot water sulphur smell

I know there are a lot of threads on "rotten eggs" smell. Mine is coming from the hot water tank. I tried flushing it but that only helps for a few minutes. I have a Forest River park model 392fktb. It has an Intertherm electric hot water tank, but I don't see an anode rod anywhere. I heard the smell can come from a bad rod. Is it possible it doesn't have one ?

This is a park model so the water heater is on most of the summer even though it is used mostly on the weekends. Could this be a factor too?

Thanks for the advice!




2006 Salem Forest River
392 FKTB
__________________

__________________
2006 Wildwood
392 FKTB
Jimh64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:05 AM   #2
Senior Member
 
mlangdn's Avatar
 
Join Date: Mar 2014
Location: Western Kentucky
Posts: 268
That odor could be coming from the water itself. Then the water heater just makes it worse. Maybe a water filter will help if your rig does not have one?
__________________

__________________
2014 Coachmen Catalina
243RBS 50th Anniversary
2013 F250 Lariat 6.7 Powerstroke
mlangdn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 06:38 AM   #3
Senior Member
 
IlliniJoe's Avatar
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 115
If you have it set up on your own property or a campground that uses well water, then I would have to agree with mlangdn. Well water is usually high in sulfur content, and heating it just magnifies it more. If that's the case, get a really good water filter and you should be good.
__________________
IlliniJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:09 AM   #4
Senior Member
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Posts: 237
You will get a sulfur smell when bacteria forms in the water heater from water sitting. You will need to sanitize the water in the tank. draining it won't work. You can use a sanitizer for this or a 50% bleach solution. I put several gallon in the fresh water tank and ran it through the hot water fuacet until several gallons ahd passed then let it sit for a couple hours and drained.
__________________
harderd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:22 AM   #5
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by harderd View Post
You will get a sulfur smell when bacteria forms in the water heater from water sitting. You will need to sanitize the water in the tank. draining it won't work. You can use a sanitizer for this or a 50% bleach solution. I put several gallon in the fresh water tank and ran it through the hot water fuacet until several gallons ahd passed then let it sit for a couple hours and drained.
50% ? No no no.

1/4 cup per 15 gallons.
Flush water system with solution then let sit over night.
completely drain including water heater.
use this for normal maintenance.
http://www.rvwholesalers.com/catalog...FbFDMgodOwQA8A
Walmart has this to.

Refill with fresh water and enjoy.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:36 AM   #6
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 50
Thanks! We do have well water, but I am the only one having the bad smell. I have a water filter also, so I am going to assume it's the bacteria in the tank.

I will try sanitizing the system. Thanks!


2006 Salem Forest River
392 FKTB
__________________
2006 Wildwood
392 FKTB
Jimh64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:38 AM   #7
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimh64 View Post
Thanks! We do have well water, but I am the only one having the bad smell. I have a water filter also, so I am going to assume it's the bacteria in the tank.

I will try sanitizing the system. Thanks!


2006 Salem Forest River
392 FKTB
remove filter before sanitizing.
Replace with new when done.

Also check the condition of your anode rod when you remove it to drain your water heater tank.

Your unit is a 2006 it may have never been replaced.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:42 AM   #8
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
remove filter before sanitizing.
Replace with new when done.

Also check the condition of your anode rod when you remove it to drain your water heater tank.

Your unit is a 2006 it may have never been replaced.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"

That was my original thought. I have a larger electric water heater. It is in the closet in the back bedroom and I do not see any anode rod. Is it possible there is not any? It is an intertherm heater and is about 2' tall and 18" in diameter.


2006 Salem Forest River
392 FKTB
__________________
2006 Wildwood
392 FKTB
Jimh64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:46 AM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team
 
TURBS's Avatar
 
Join Date: Aug 2011
Location: Iowa
Posts: 34,337
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jimh64 View Post
That was my original thought. I have a larger electric water heater. It is in the closet in the back bedroom and I do not see any anode rod. Is it possible there is not any? It is an intertherm heater and is about 2' tall and 18" in diameter.


2006 Salem Forest River
392 FKTB
Since it's more of a "residential type" water heater it may not.
Contact intertherm with model number to find out for sure.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"
__________________
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-04-2014, 07:48 AM   #10
Member
 
Join Date: May 2014
Posts: 50
Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Since it's more of a "residential type" water heater it may not.
Contact intertherm with model number to find out for sure.

TURBS

"SABRE OWNERS UNITED"

Ok thanks!


2006 Salem Forest River
392 FKTB
__________________

__________________
2006 Wildwood
392 FKTB
Jimh64 is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Tags
hot water, water

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 11:42 PM.