Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-05-2012, 07:42 PM   #1

Hot Water Tank

I keep seeing posts about making sure your hot water tank has water in it so as not to burn out the element. How do you fill it or know when it is full or has water in it? Most of the time were are hooked to city water but this week will be boondocking.

Thanks All

Skip

2008 Cardinal 30 RK LE
sor126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 07:53 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor126 View Post
I keep seeing posts about making sure your hot water tank has water in it so as not to burn out the element. How do you fill it or know when it is full or has water in it? Most of the time were are hooked to city water but this week will be boondocking.

Thanks All

Skip

2008 Cardinal 30 RK LE
Turn your water pump on and open the outside door to the water heater and pull the relief valve lever until water comes out. It is full then. I would also open the hot water faucets to bleed the air out there also.
Old 08-05-2012, 08:17 PM   #3
Site Team - Lou

If you always leave the element turned off, you will never have to worry about plugging in and immediately frying your heating element.

I only switch the water heater to AC when I am SURE the power grid can handle my air conditioner AND the water heater. Many campgrounds can't handle both if the weather is above 90 degrees.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 08:48 PM   #4
Site Team

you won't burn the electric element out boondocking, since you won't have electric hookups.

i just run the water pump and open the hot water faucets to get the air out. once they stop "burping", then i turn them off and turn on the DSI for heating the WH with propane or turn the outside rocker switch on to heat with electric.
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:13 PM   #5

Ohhh gosh bike, you are right I will be on gas. I guess when on electric, So I am guessing from all that I just open the hot water taps till they stop burping and then put on the AC hot water heater
sor126 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 09:20 PM   #6
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by sor126 View Post
Ohhh gosh bike, you are right I will be on gas. I guess when on electric, So I am guessing from all that I just open the hot water taps till they stop burping and then put on the AC hot water heater
I find it a lot less of a mess with spashing water all over the inside to flip the relief valve first and then just crack the inside faucets.
Old 08-05-2012, 09:37 PM   #7

i bought my trailer at an rv show. after the dealer preped it, i picked it up and went camping. opened the kitchen faucet and bled the air out. hw heater apparently was already on. needlessly to say, my electric did not work.
the element doesn't last long w/o water in there.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:40 PM   #8
Site Team - Lou

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
i bought my trailer at an rv show. after the dealer preped it, i picked it up and went camping. opened the kitchen faucet and bled the air out. hw heater apparently was already on. needlessly to say, my electric did not work.
the element doesn't last long w/o water in there.
Problem with RV shows. Power on the trailer; the salesman working the table; and the kids with their cotton candy fingers in everything.
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 10:44 PM   #9
Moderator Emeritus

REMEMBER, if the winter bypass aren't set right, you will get water at the faucets, both hot and cold sides, but the water heater will be empty!!!!!!! The only way to tell for sure that water heater is full is to open the "pop-off" valve, and see if water comes out. Do this before lighting the gas or turning on the electric, and be careful, you might get wet feet.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-05-2012, 11:14 PM   #10

If you use a generator when you are boondocking, you can use the electric water heater. The do pull quite a load though. 1200 watts for some of them. I rarely use mine for this reason. Personally I liked the Lightning rod water heater better on my last trailer. It pulled less watts and running it and the gas at the same time made for a quicker recovery rate.

Nights camped 2012 - 35
Nights camped 2013 - 46
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote