Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-20-2018, 11:41 AM   #1
2010 Georgetown

how bad is a bucket brigade (or how much splash) RESOLVED

I have to drain my black tank. I am not going to pay the $30 they want at the RV parts store, and the other places near me are 45 minutes each way.

I have the mancerating (?sp) device on order, that works with water pressure that will get it up to a cleanout I have or should just abaout make it. The cleanout is a few feet higher that I can get the drain because I have a steep drive)

BUt it may not get here before my hoa starts complaining and I have to take the RV to storage.

I was thinking about draining it into a 5 gallon bucket and taking it inside.

How much splash and how fast will it come out?

I am afraid that if I open the gate slowly I will leave solid material behind.

I do not want to have a large splash area and more mess to clean out.

My gages are not working, so I am not sure how full it is. I may have to put a dip stick down the toilet. I suspect it is 1/4 to 1/2 full.

I plan ot make a spray want to help clean it out and get the contacts cleaned. I did add some cleaner (twice) and I have not gotten any reading other than 3/4 full since I bought the RV)
TST 507 TPMS
wilsonintexas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:05 PM   #2
D W

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonintexas View Post
I have to drain my black tank. I am not going to pay the $30 they want at the RV parts store, and the other places near me are 45 minutes each way.

I have the mancerating (?sp) device on order, that works with water pressure that will get it up to a cleanout I have or should just abaout make it. The cleanout is a few feet higher that I can get the drain because I have a steep drive)

BUt it may not get here before my hoa starts complaining and I have to take the RV to storage.

How much splash and how fast will it come out?

I am afraid that if I open the gate slowly I will leave solid material behind.

I do not want to have a large splash area and more mess to clean out.

My gages are not working, so I am not sure how full it is. I may have to put a dip stick down the toilet. I suspect it is 1/4 to 1/2 full.

I plan ot make a spray want to help clean it out and get the contacts cleaned. I did add some cleaner (twice) and I have not gotten any reading other than 3/4 full since I bought the RV)
If you are in Anchorage, have you checked with Cabela's, or any of the Holiday Stations, or Tesoro on E. Northern Lights? Cabela's used to charge $10, and the Holiday & Tesoro stations were free.

From the looks of your post you need a good dump & flush. Your process seems labor-some and tedious. Not something I would attempt.

I would say you need a "good" clean-out & flush
"...exhaust fluid? We don't need no stinkin' exhaust fluid"
D W is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:07 PM   #3

Pay the thirty bucks!

Bruce
Old 09-20-2018, 12:10 PM   #4

Maybe some one has a portable tote you can borrow.....If it were me I'd bite the bullet and pay the 30 clams vs trying to empty it with a bucket
TST 507 TPMS
Progressive Industries EMS-PT30X
Ejs4029 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:21 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

My neighbours would be outraged if I tried to dump my tanks at home using a bucket, or any other means. I've gotten some really nasty looks just for draining my fresh water tank, which is nothing but clean water!

I'd be looking for a local dump station, and if it costs $30, so be it. Better than having to deal with a tank full that's been sitting there.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:22 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by wilsonintexas View Post
I have to drain my black tank. ...
Hum … just my opinion … but, I suspect this is probably not your best idea … …
I did something like that a while back. In my case, I was doing additional cleaning on an already previously rinsed black water tank. The tank liquid comes out with quite a bit of force and volume; it could be very difficult to control the bucket and cutoff sufficient to avoid nasty splashes or worse. I was able to control my project because the outflow was relatively clean and the volume was always less than the full volume of the 5-gallon bucket so I did not need to be concern with closing the valve quickly. (I also had an outside place to dump.) While you can probably control the bucket-carry-and-dump well enough, I'd be very leery about controlling the bucket fill ... especially since you're dealing with very ripe content.
FollowTheSun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:26 PM   #7
Senior Senior Member

Go to a full hookup campground for a night or two and do a good flush of your BW tank. Bucket brigade is a bad idea.
Old 09-20-2018, 12:37 PM   #8

Before you take it to a dump station and do a good rinse and flush make sure the tank is full. I mean starting to come up the commode pipe. Let it sit 24hrs then do a good rinse and flush. I had the same problem with gauges reading all the time. I filled it and let set 24hrs then flush and now my gauges work.
Now the night before I leave the campground I fill both black and gray tanks then flush the next morning before I leave.
I believe I read that fix some where here on this forum.
Hope this helps.
adrinkard is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 12:43 PM   #9

I would imagine that 3 minutes into using a bucket, you would swear to never ever do that again. I would even pay $15 not to use my Turd Trolly. $30 is a small price to pay to minimize interaction with the putrid python and the content therein.

Themacerator should be able to pump up about four feet without an issue. I have a clean-out next to the driveway my father in law uses when they are visiting, and he pumps up to it with ease. I made a replacement cap for the clean-out that I drilled and installed a hose adapter on. This way, there is no slop, no stink, and no-one is the wiser.
2010 24’ Fleetwood Pegasus
2017 24’ Flagstaff Shamrock 23IKSS
2015 Ram 3500 Diesel MegaCab 4X4 SRW
47driver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:11 PM   #10

R u in Alaska ? If so there r place s to dump free or 5-10 $ check it out, it is hard to dump into a bucket especially if you have a accident
Big Bill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:21 PM   #11

Send a message via Skype™ to stillontheroad
The $30.00 may be a good investment and they likely have a flush hose too. Otherwise you are in for a sh---- job no matter how you look at it.
stillontheroad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:24 PM   #12
Site Team

If it was gray water, go for it.
Black water, HECK NO!
2016 PrimeTime TracerAIR 255, pushing a 2014 Ford F150 SCREW XTR 4x4 3.5 Ecoboost w/Max Tow Package
4pt Equal-i-zer WDH and 1828lbs of payload capacity
bikendan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:37 PM   #13

Absolutely pay the $30.00! Not only is a "bucket brigade" a nasty job, you could get an infection, or quite sick from just a little splash. Just make sure you have enough water to do a good flush. Hopefully you are using Happy Campers or some other agent that has broken down the waste. And don't forget to winterize all of your tanks, traps, and drains after the flush!
Chazman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:49 PM   #14

Dropped something in my gray tank, which was about 1/2 full. Figured I'd hold a colander under the outflow pipe and catch it. Very surprised buy the volume and pressure when I pulled that valve. And the black tank pipe is bigger... Pay the $30.
stephndudb is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 01:53 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by stephndudb View Post
Dropped something in my gray tank, which was about 1/2 full. Figured I'd hold a colander under the outflow pipe and catch it. Very surprised buy the volume and pressure when I pulled that valve. And the black tank pipe is bigger... Pay the $30.
Next time you can probably get a piece of screen, wrap it around the exit pipe, attach the slinky, and dump like normal. The screen should hopefully catch the wedding ring you dropped in there. Don't try this with the black tank though. If if goes in there, file the insurance claim and move on.
Old 09-20-2018, 02:17 PM   #16

If I you do go the bucket route, would you mind getting it on video?
Old 09-20-2018, 02:20 PM   #17

Have you checked with your local wastewater treatment plant, assuming you live in a city or town? Many have a dump station you can use.
2013 Ram 1500
jking46 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:29 PM   #18

By the time you're halfway done with the bucket method, you'd pay $300 to be done with it!!!!
dustman_stx is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2018, 02:38 PM   #19

So, you spent, what, a couple hundred bucks on the macerator but you don't want to spend the $30 to dump it at a dumpsite?

Headscratcher

Mike
Old 09-20-2018, 02:43 PM   #20
RV There Yet?

I just had to do this last weekend. our city does not have a dump station. the campground was closed and not returning my calls (until AFTER i had dumped, go figure) its a horrible job and not one i wish on anyone. IF YOU DO THIS put your 45 or 90 degree adapter onto your outlet from the trailer. open the valve fully, and be ready to shut it off quickly. Do NOT fill your bucket more than 1/2 to 3/4 full. as you walk, it will want to splash. dumping into the toilet isnt that bad. pour nice and steady, pour slow, and aim for the lowest part of the toilet.

for those that say you will get sick, check out all the popup owners that do this exact same thing (with a cassette) into the toilets at home or campgrounds. wear your gloves, safety glasses would be a good idea too, breathe through your nose , no faces right over the bucket. doing this at night avoids a LOT of stares. Toss your bucket when done.

$30 is a straight up rip-off (unless poo really really bothers you). i would pay that for yearly access to dump. it should be more like $5-$10 per dump otherwise.
IsleDog is offline   Reply With Quote