Old 04-10-2014, 09:35 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by mlong View Post
Next weekend we start our first camping trip with our new camper. Previously we had a pop up without a bathroom. We did have a kitchen sink that I just drained into a 6 gallon container.

Congratulations on your first camping season!! I bet you and the family are very excited and are looking forward to many fond memories of your camping experiences!

Since we now have a full bathroom we plan to use it instead of the campground bath houses. We camp mostly at PA State Parks on weekends but we have a 6 night stay planned for Assateaque State Park, MD in July. There are no sewer hook ups & usually no water hook ups. I do not want to hook up the camper and take it to the dump station every other day to empty grey water or to refill the fresh water (we are never close enough to run a temp hose for FW). The fresh water refill is easy. I have 2- 6 gal water containers and just ordered 2- 8 gal containers. I can just load them in the truck and go to the FW fill spigot.

That should work fine -- just remember to keep your containers sanatized! (5% bleach solution)

What I would like to know is how everyone else empties their grey water tank for long stays. I am thinking about getting some 5 gal buckets with lids and just drain the grey water into those (after the tank gets somewhat full) and then just drive those over to the dump station.

You will HATE doing that.....

Any other suggestions? I am looking at getting one of those 30 gal rolling containers eventually but, I do not want to drop that much on one right now.

Like the others have said, if there are folks at the camp with the "blue rollers" they will probably not mind loaning theirs to a guy who is "shopping around" for the best one for his needs. Again, as others have said - offer a fiver on return or a cold beverage.

When you are ready to purchase, just do it. No skimping! Remember the worst disaster of your life short of death would be the rupture or failure of a cheapo porta-tank full of 5 days worth of....stuff (in fact you might just wanna die )

Here is what I see used a lot:
http://www.amazon.com/Barker-30844-4-Wheeler-Tote-Tank/dp/B000OR18BE/ref=sr_1_5?ie=UTF8&qid=1397136418&sr=8-5&keywords=rv+portable+holding+tank

Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 10:19 AM   #12
Camper Less Camping

Blue Tote all the way...may seem expensive as you make the initial purchase but quickly will be viewed as a golden decision when you need it for the first, non-full hook up stay

Old 04-10-2014, 10:40 AM   #13

I found a 15 gal listed on CL for $75.00. Says it was used once. We'll see if I can pick that up.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:04 AM   #14

Raw sewage, on average, weighs ~9 Lbs a gallon - so that carrier will weigh 135 LBS + the weight of the carrier. Make sure it has wheels and some way to attach it to your TV.

DANGER DANGER WILL ROBINSON!!

You have a 40 Gal holding tank? a 40 Gal Grey Water tank?

If it were me, I would get the shortest sewer hose I could find to hook your RV to this *tiny* 15 Gal dump tank.

Why? Cuz when you open the valve in the black tank, it's gonna GUSH fast, and you are gonna want to flush that hose with grey water. If you are using a typical 10-15' long sewer that sucker could over fill your portable holding tank REAL fast

Not trying to disuade you, just giving you food for thought to prevent a possible black water campground disaster...
Nights Camped: 2013 - 24 • 2014 - 42 • 2015 - 56 • Jul 2016 - Fulltime •
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:14 AM   #15

I'm well aware of the weight issue. Yes, it has wheels and comes with a short hose to hook it to the camper. I know it's small. I have a 33 gal tank for black & grey. I don't mind running that to the dump station more frequently. It's still better than pulling the entire camper.
Old 04-10-2014, 11:31 AM   #16

If the one on C/L doesn't work out, here is the one we went with. Seemed like the best deal around. I didn't want to get one that was too big because of the weight. This was a good compromise as far as size & cost.

Amazon.com: Tote-N-Stor 25607 Portable Waste Transport - 15 Gallon Capacity: Automotive

2017 F-250
2013 Rockwood Roo 23 IKSS
KMP44 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:33 AM   #17

its a million to 1 longshot at a state park but trying calling the campground and see if they have a Honeywagon service.

2013 Rockwood Mini 2503S
2011 Chevrolet Silverado 1500 5.3L
Bryan2503S is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:39 AM   #18

I may have went overboard but I picked up a 42 gal 4 wheel blue tote off of Craig's list. I had a 10 gal one before and I was real careful not to fill it too full.

Sent from my DROID RAZR using Forest River Forums mobile app
kc8lvy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-10-2014, 11:40 AM   #19

mlong if you would like to spend a few bucks, you could get this plus the hose. Put the tote in the back of the truck and pump into the tote, and then haul to the dump station and dump from the back of the truck. A lot easier on the wheels of the tote. I have the biggest one and it fits behind the 5th wheel. Just tie it down and go.
FloJet RV Waste Pump Kit - Xylem 18555000A - Drain & Flush Systems - Camping World
You might even look at this to get your fresh water from the spigot, http://http://www.campingworld.com/s...45-gallon/1605 You might be able to gravity feed it into you TT or get a 12 volt pump. Just a couple of ideas you might consider now or in the future. Good luck and enjoy. You'll get it all figured out eventually.
Old 04-10-2014, 12:23 PM   #20
Camper Less Camping

I have this one in a 35gal...works like a charm, weight doesn't bother me as I already move iron around every week in the gym ,)

Name:   fvUG-v8A.jpeg
Views: 318
Size:  4.1 KB

Tags
grey water, water