Old 04-11-2014, 12:05 AM   #31
Explorer

Many will disagree with me but I am very responsible with how I do it. I, on occasion, when OK dump my grey water in the brush. I tented for several years and I dumped my grey water then like I do now. Never close to another camper/tenter, never in a walking area, never where inappropriate and only at night where no one can see me. Yep many people are offended by dumping water from the back of your trailer. I have a 10ft and 50ft hose that I hook up to a camping world bought sew cap that has a hose connector.
In my defense, because I no you all are going to beat up on me, I wipe all my dishes and pans with paper towls into the garbage be for I wash them. No I don’t use biodegradable soap but I don’t use much soap either. Why do campgrounds give you water at you site with no sewer dump and not want water on the ground.
I pic my camping spot to accommodate this when its needed, not all spots work. I never expect to be able to do this but when it works it doesn’t bother me. I actually feel like the plants love me.
John

43yrs of camping; one lucky guy
YoungKopernik is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 06:21 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by YoungKopernik View Post
Why do campgrounds give you water at you site with no sewer dump and not want water on the ground.
that's why the camper has holding tanks. Not only is this very wrong, its also illegal in lots of places, no matter how OK you think it is.

davel1971 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:37 AM   #33

I have stayed at a couple of state parks and do to I rarely not have had sewer hook up less then 5 times. I have just brought with me 3 5 gallon buckets with lids and emptied the gray water that way.
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 07:51 AM   #34

Look at the sign in the lower right of the photo.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_5470.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	51.2 KB
ID:	49597  

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:18 AM   #35
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Oakman View Post

Where is that Oak? The colouring makes me think it's a state park, but I haven't seen a self serve state park before. Actually, I haven't seen any self serve park....
Old 04-11-2014, 08:40 AM   #36

Quote:
I'm not saying it's OK to dump gray water at your campsite, but I'm not sure I believe this sign. Anyone who has an on-site septic system on their property, with a drain field and sand mound, is "technically" dumping (pumping, really) gray water into their own ground. Sure, the sand mound helps filter it, but it's still gray water, even black water (just settled and diluted.) I think the ground in general does a pretty good job of filtering whatever kind of water is deposited on it--rain water isn't exactly squeaky clean, then you have all the wild animal excrement if you live in the woods, etc. Just sayin'.

But you still shouldn't dump gray water in a campground. If you choose to do it on your lawn when you get home, that's another story.
2016 Ford Fusion Titanium (gulping gas again, camping support vehicle)
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:47 AM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by Kaadk View Post
Where is that Oak? The colouring makes me think it's a state park, but I haven't seen a self serve state park before. Actually, I haven't seen any self serve park....
That was taken at Onondaga State Park. Last year the state park system decided to quit holding some of the sites as first come first served and put all the sites in the reservation system. If you want to camp there on weekends or holidays now you better reserve a site.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 08:56 AM   #38
Site Team

Quote:
That was taken at Onondaga State Park. Last year the state park system decided to quit holding some of the sites as first come first served and put all the sites in the reservation system. If you want to camp there on weekends or holidays now you better reserve a site.
Thanks, was just curious mostly. I've seen parks hold sites for first come, but you still had to check in at the front and be assigned the site. It was the first time I've ever seen a "Pick a site then tell us where youse at" approach. It actually sounds like a nice approach to me. Gives you a chance to survey the park and pick what's best for you based on what's around. With a reservation system, you never know what the guy next to you is going to be like.
Old 04-11-2014, 08:57 AM   #39

I should have added the 5 gallon buckets is how I get they gray water to the dump station
Nights Camped 2015 ( 4 )
Firefighter969 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-11-2014, 10:20 AM   #40

I hate it when animals poop and pee in the woods..... It all gets into the drinking water and streams. When a big rain storm comes up, all of that 'E-coli' flows into the Lakes and people can not swim in them for a while. And as for swimming in streams and lakes..... I think that fish poop and pee in them too.......Yuk..... (hate it when that happens)

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
grey water, water