Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-07-2013, 08:27 AM   #1

How do you guys winterize

Hi all, we bought our first tt this spring and enjoyed the heck out of it.Now it's time to put it away for the winter.We live in NJ and it will be stored outside and covered,first do you antifreeze it or blow out the water with air.Second does anybody do anything with their tanks black and grey besides washing them out as best as possible,antifreeze?,deodorants?.Third how do I keep it from mold,should I leave a vent open under the cover?what about snow build up.Any advice is appreciated thanks.
Amcmachine70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 09:02 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by Amcmachine70 View Post
Hi all, we bought our first tt this spring and enjoyed the heck out of it.Now it's time to put it away for the winter.We live in NJ and it will be stored outside and covered,first do you antifreeze it or blow out the water with air.Second does anybody do anything with their tanks black and grey besides washing them out as best as possible,antifreeze?,deodorants?.Third how do I keep it from mold,should I leave a vent open under the cover?what about snow build up.Any advice is appreciated thanks.
We have a small (24') Solera. Only had it through one winter, but I blew the lines with air until I could detect no more (vapor) coming out of the lines, and it was very effective. First, drain your holding tanks completely. Then, start at the area furthest from the city water inlet, and work back toward the inlet, closing spigots as you progress. Be sure to open your low point drains, too - and leave them open! Open the drain valve for the fresh water tank and leave it open. Remove the drain from the water heater and leave the expension valve open and again blow the hot water lines. Lastly, pour some RV antifreeze into the the sink drains - enough to fill the traps and have some also drain into the grey water holding tank, and also pour some into the toilet and flush it into the black water tank. I also apply Rubber preservative (available at auto supply store) to the Toilet slide.

We previously had a 38' Diesel Pusher. It had a Washer/dryer combo unit and I was unsure about how to make it freeze-proof, so I always filled all the lines with pink, and never had a problem. But blowing the lines is simpler, if you have an air compressor availalble. Be sure to limit pressure to around 50psi lest you overpressurize something!

Hope I haven't left anything out - if I have I hope there'll be someone else to correct me!
Taylorgso is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-13-2013, 04:37 PM   #3
Toy-aholic

Just did mine today, pretty simple. Blew out all the lines & drained water heater, did the water heater bypass, & pumped the pink with the water pump.
Old 10-13-2013, 05:03 PM   #4

Pink stuff and a bit of time.

I just got done, took about 20 min for my first time.

Old 10-14-2013, 07:43 AM   #5

Living in Houston Tx i dont plan to. I keep the rv parked at my house connected to a 30 amp outlet. My fall back plan is for some unknown reason we have hard freeze warnings i will turn on the tank heaters, drain the fresh water tank and use a small space heater with a thermostat to keep the TT above freezeing temps. I have the adapter to blow out the lines if need be.
Prothos is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-18-2013, 11:48 AM   #6

Drain the water heater, then open low point drains and all the faucets. Once that stops draining, I close all faucets and blow out the lines through the city water connection. Once there's no more water, I close the low point drains, switch the water heater bypass valves over, and pump anti freeze with the water pump through the bypass valve I installed after getting the trailer. Once it's parked at the storage lot, I pour some pink stuff down each trap, set out a bucket of stay dry, cover up the trailer and tires, and read it a bedtime story and tuck it in for the winter.

Before I winterize, I scrub the camper down, including the roof. Make sure your tires are set on pressure. I also tuck the electrical cord for the truck into the battery comparent, then wrap with a heavy duty trash bag. I also wrap a bag around the tounge jack and coupler to protect it from the weather.
John4th is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
winter, winterize