Old 02-26-2016, 05:45 PM   #41
Recommend going to bath house. Be there early or it will also be running out. Ever think of taking a bath?.

Ram 1500
Big Horn
Hemi 5.7 2011
Salem 30KQBSS 2012
DougP47 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:13 PM   #42
If you look up the spec sheet for this coach it comes with a 6 gallon HW tank ,so i have to tell you that when i had a coach with this size tank (and i fully understand they are better now( but most showers were cold! It seem like you caught it on the low side just before it cycled to heat up.
You might want to think of running the hot water for a minute and then wait a few minutes the nest time if no one has used the hot water for some time again.
Hope this helps and Happy Camping

2010 Cedar Creek Silverback 35ts
2001 GMC 2500HD w/ Allison & 8.1
silverback 35ts is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 06:24 PM   #43
Wife and I camp regularly using a 6 gallon water heater and have never had a problem. Usually we shower about 5 minutes each, sometimes back to back. When we have our grandchildren with us we turn on BOTH the electric and the gas, and don't run out. Of course, turn off the propane when showers are done, leaving only the electric heating element for dishes and such. I don't know if there is a H/W temperature selector or not. Ours is usually VERY hot.

Word of caution about the continuous H/W tanks. Do some research. Based on most user responses I would NOT HAVE ONE. Especially true if you are boondocking and need to conserve water use!
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 07:31 PM   #44
Originally Posted by TURBS View Post
An oxygenics actually uses more water then the cheap one the factory installs fyi

2015 Columbus 320RS
2008 2500HD Duramax
2015 nights camped "34"
True,check "VA Campgrounds",posted on 11/3/2015 Post#! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 09:37 PM   #45
Originally Posted by Kevin & Judy View Post
its about 1 gal per minute, 6 gallon tank about 6 minutes,

Not quite accurate, see the following medical report.
All plumbing allows for blending heated and unheated water to get a tempered safe stream. The water in RV heaters is stored at an roughly average temps of 140 F. If blended to provide 100 degree water it would last longer than 6 minutes. Proof is in the pudding I've had a share of 6 gal heaters (5.25 actual usable), never did run out of warm water in normal use w/o an electric element.

"In the U.S., tap water burns cause an estimated 1,500 hospital admissions and 100 deaths per year and the economic burden stemming from these burns is tremendous. According to the researchers, human exposure to hot water at 140F can lead to a serious burn within 3 seconds, and at 120oF a serious burn can occur in about 10 minutes. Young children and older adults have thinner skin which burns more quickly putting them at increased risk."
VinceU is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-26-2016, 10:28 PM   #46
Site Team
Two other factors I haven't seen mentioned yet:

1) it's winter, so the ground water's probably colder (yes even in the south, it's still colder than it would be in the summer.). As the cold water enter's the tank and mixes with the remaining hot, it pulls the overall temperature down. The larger the temperature difference, the faster this happens.

2) water pressure also comes into play. The higher the water pressure, the more quickly the water is pushed out of the tank and the quicker the cold water replaces it. (See item 1 for why this is bad.)

As other's have said, the key is to use the shower's 'pause' button to stop the water flow during the lather up period. Using this, we've easily managed to shower 3 adults and two kids back to back with only the very last (me unfortunately) completely running out of hot during the final rinse cycle. And we have the Suburban 6 gal.

Sent from my iPhone using Forest River Forums
There's no use crying over spilled milk, unless it's on your keyboard.
Kaadk is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:25 AM   #47
"As other's have said, the key is to use the shower's 'pause' button to stop the water flow during the lather up period. Using this, we've easily managed to shower 3 adults and two kids back to back with only the very last (me unfortunately) completely running out of hot during the final rinse cycle. And we have the Suburban 6 gal."

We routinely have 4 of us shower in a row. I will use both electric and propane when we are, then turn off the propane after the last shower.
ontario_camper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:27 AM   #48
Originally Posted by Harkerr View Post
Also depends on where the water heater is in the thermostat cycle. A shower will last longer if you take it just after the heater shuts off. Shortest is just before it comes on. This can explain the 3-5 minute difference you are seeing. This is for a 10 gallon.

2016 Rockwood Windjammer 3029W Diamond
2015 Chevy 3500HD LTZ 6.0 Crew Cab 4x4 Long Bed 4.10:1 SRW
nomad297 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:36 AM   #49
Valve replacement.

I replaced the standard shower valve with a European temperature sensing control valve such as found on cruise ships. This prevents the waste of hot water while you're waiting for it to get to the shower and keeps the temperature constant throughout your shower. They can be had online from eBay at about 40 to $50 each. It is a simple replacement and well worth the time and money.
Strigflag is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 02-27-2016, 07:49 AM   #50
Site Team
IF you have a dual heat water heater you can turn BOTH electric and LP on
at the same time. When DW and I take showers one after the other the
hot does not run out BUT we are also taking "modified Navy" showers.
IE: wet down well - shut off shower head- lather rinse. We both use
the hand held Eco-camel water saving shower wand. Others here like the
Oxygenics as well. The modified part is when I'm done I do set the wand
in the wall hanger and rinse really well!! Luxuriating in 60 seconds of nice
hot water.

When we are done we immediately shut off the LP switch so it recovers on
electric. It uses little LP this way as the burner isn't on more than a few minutes.

OF course how long the hot lasts also depends on how cold the cold water
supply is also.

Dan & Rita D
2004 5.3L Silverado 1500 ext. cab 2WD
1999 Suzuki Intruder Motorcycle
Blue Ox WD hitch, AirLift load levelers

Camping days 2010-53, 2011-47, 2012-41,
2013-41, 2014-31, 2015-40, 2016-38
KyDan is offline   Reply With Quote

hot water, water