Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-19-2016, 10:03 AM   #1

How Long Takes To Empty Black Tank?

Hello. This is our 2nd time taking our new Grey Wolf camper out and the 1st time we did not use the bathroom for *ahem* solid waste. This trip we did the last day. I'm pretty (probably overly) thorough when it comes to emptying the tank until everything is crystal clear, then rinsing the black hose, etc. We have the clear "L" shaped valve that helps.

My question is: How long does it take you to clean/empty your black tank (we are weekend campers). My husband was mad b/c he said this is crazy & takes way to long. I estimate we probably spent 25-30 minutes doing so this past Sunday. I do use sanitation tablets at the start of each trip to help sanitize and break down the TP.

Am I being overly aggressive? How long does it take you all to empty the black tank?
cellgirl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:10 AM   #2

Definition

When you say Empty, what do you mean? From the time you pull the lever to the time things almost stop running? Or the entire process of dumping, rinsing, and cleaning up?

2013 Ford F-350 SD Diesel, 4X4, Crew Cab, Lariat
Sabre 2014 32RCTS, Pullrite Superglide 2900 18K
Davidceder is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:14 AM   #3
Pickin', Campin', Mason

10-15 minutes. Start to finish.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:22 AM   #4

Listen to your husband. You do not mention where you were at, but you do not want to be taking 25 to 30 minutes to dump if there is a line behind you at the dump station. Its not the place to do your tank maintenance. It shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to dump out and do a quick flush with the tank flush or a bucket if others are waiting such as on a Sunday afternoon after a busy weekend.
Mr Havercamp is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr Havercamp View Post
Listen to your husband. You do not mention where you were at, but you do not want to be taking 25 to 30 minutes to dump if there is a line behind you at the dump station. Its not the place to do your tank maintenance. It shouldn't take you more than 10 minutes to dump out and do a quick flush with the tank flush or a bucket if others are waiting such as on a Sunday afternoon after a busy weekend.
Agreed.

We are lucky enough to be able to dump at home where we can take our time. If we have to dump at a park on the way out, It's usually 5-10 minutes. On average...
  • Put on gloves, unstow and connect drain hose: ~1 min
  • Open the black tank valve and let it drain: ~30 sec - 1 min
  • Open the galley tank valve and let it drain: ~ 1-2 min
  • Open the bathroom grey tank valve and let it drain: ~ 1-2 min
  • Close all the valves and disconnect the hose: ~30 sec
  • Rinse and stow the hose: ~1 min
  • Dispose of gloves: ~30 sec
Imagine how long the lineup would be if everyone took half an hour...

visit our website at www.restcure.ca
Restcure is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:29 AM   #6

It takes maybe 5 min for black, 5-10 man for grey. If no one is behind us, we will do a black tank flush between. But I would be very upset to have to wait 25-30 minutes for someone to empty their tanks.
PI hardwired EMC, Wire Shelving in wardrobe
Plexiglass screen door protector, Blue LED Wine nook
stairs, and counting...
karrun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:31 AM   #7

Like usual... It depends. When we were weekenders, if we were going out again fairly soon, the dumping/cleaning process would take about 15 minutes to rinse and backflush. Then put a few gallons and chemicals back in. If we were going to store for awhile it might take me over an hour to alternate letting the sani flush run and then backflushing until output ran completely clear.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:41 AM   #8

For me, hook up clear elbow and sewer hose...pull black valve...while dumping, connect black water hose to black flush port...turn on water when black finishes...turn off water when runs clear...close black / open gray...while gray is dumping, unscrew from black flush port and attach hose washer attachment...after gray dumps, close valve / disconnect hose from trailer / attach hose washer...rinse hose for a few seconds...disconnect and stow.

Probably 10-15 min tops.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:47 AM   #9

If no one is in line it takes me about 20 minutes to drain and flush both tanks. I start with the black tank. When it is done I start the grey water and fill the black tank. While the black tanks empties the second time I fill the grey tank then empty it. I then rinse the fittings and hoses and store them.

If there is somebody behind me I flush the black tank running some water while it drains and do the same for the grey tank. I rinse the fittings and hoses then pull forward to put everything away. This usually takes about 10 minutes maybe a touch more.

I have to say I am rarely in a line at the state parks we go to. Check out is 3PM and folks are usually gone by the time we leave between 2PM and 3PM.
keith_h is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:07 AM   #10

I just assumed the the OP was doing it at home or at their full hookup site in a CG. Those are the only places you can take your time. Looks like most assumed otherwise If we have to use a public dump station (usually a truck stop for us), we just dump and go unless there is nobody in line and then we might run the saniflush for a few minutes. Either way we are only there 5 to 10 minutes.
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 11:59 AM   #11

Thank you all. We've been at full hookup sites, so we do it right at our camp spot. We get there Fridays and usually leave Sunday afternoons. Different parks. I never connect my sewer hose till we dump to prepare to leave. The responses were very helpful, so thank you very much.
cellgirl99 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:07 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellgirl99 View Post
Thank you all. We've been at full hookup sites, so we do it right at our camp spot. We get there Fridays and usually leave Sunday afternoons. Different parks. I never connect my sewer hose till we dump to prepare to leave. The responses were very helpful, so thank you very much.
I usually connect the sewer hose a day or 2 after arrival. RARELY will I stop at a site without FUs. I generally open the black valve and go about something else for a short time. Then run the flush until the water is clear. Then dump the galley tank and bathroom tank. The whole process need not take longer than 20 minutes including adding water and chemicals to the black tank prior to departure.
CaptnJohn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:37 PM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by cellgirl99 View Post

In time, and with more practice, flushing your system will get easier and become a smoother routine for you. I don't get upset if I have to wait behind people in line, but that's just me. I'm in no hurry and I'm usually heading back home. It takes us roughly 10 minutes from start to finish. We flush the black tank and then one of us goes inside and pours about 5 gallons down the toilet to be sure we have eliminated everything, and then, onto flushing out the gray water. And then lastly rinsing the hose and putting them away. DONE! ( We use disposable gloves, so they get tossed.)

2023 Flagstaff 206STSE
2019 Flagstaff HW29SC ( sold )
2017 Salem Cruise Lite 232RBXL ( sold )
2014 Ford 150 XLT 5.0 2wd
Briorick is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:42 PM   #14

At the dump station? I will be done in about 5 minutes. Any longer than that and people behind you will start to get antsy.

I don't stress about it. Use ENOUGH water when flushing. Try and have it at least 2/3 full. I don't bother with clear elbows or any of that nonsense. Pull the handle and let er rip. I am not making soup in the black tank....

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 02:52 PM   #15

Something to check

It used to take that long for me to dump and a quick flush.
After 4 years the cutout where they attached to tank to the toilet came out.
It was about 3 1/2" Dia. and was partially blocking the drain line where it connected to the tank.
You could not see it because there as a 90 degree elbow at the tank.
Now its 5 to 10 minutes. I could not believe they just left the cutout plug in the tank, but they sure did.
So check for something like that if you can.
RMUSSON is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:03 PM   #16

Quote:
Originally Posted by another_newfie View Post
At the dump station? I will be done in about 5 minutes. Any longer than that and people behind you will start to get antsy.

I don't stress about it. Use ENOUGH water when flushing. Try and have it at least 2/3 full. I don't bother with clear elbows or any of that nonsense. Pull the handle and let er rip. I am not making soup in the black tank....
I volunteer with a beagle rescue organization in case you might be wanting another pal.
Old 09-19-2016, 10:10 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by sfsgm View Post
I volunteer with a beagle rescue organization in case you might be wanting another pal.
This is what is special about forums like this.

What an amazing offer. PM me some details. We are in Canada BTW, but might be willing to travel if we ever find our next beagle.

1 Fantastic DW
1 Amazing DD
1 Beagle that will be missed (RIP Zeus)
another_newfie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-19-2016, 10:32 PM   #18

It should not take more than 10 minutes to empty both tanks at a dump station. Nothing worse than sitting around waiting fore someone to fuss over their dump job.
We use a shot of dawn in both tanks and that helps to clean them out. But on occasion we will send the wife in to the bathroom with a 5 gallon bucket of water so at the end of the dump for the black tank pour it in the toilet to give the tank an extra stream of water in one big shot.// works good.

Brandon2
2014 2500 TS
Sun Seeker
brandon 2 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 09-20-2016, 12:11 AM   #19

X2 on the Dawn soap. I also put in some tank deodorizer in both the black and gray tanks (three tanks).. By the time I get home, the sloshing around has pretty well taken care of anything that didn't get flushed out at the park.

When I get home, I dump this out into my septic system and then dump in another 5 gallons with more deodorizer.

Tags
black, black tank, tank