Old 01-04-2013, 10:12 AM   #1

How shock proof is the sewer system?

Hello all,

I had an incident over the weekend where I was pulling my 2008 31' Forest River flagstaff and I got mired up in some mud. When I was pulling my truck and camper out of the mud with another truck, the back of the camper bottomed out and ripped the sewer pipes off the back.

I looked up under there and I see one wire dangling, which I think maybe was a heater wire to the outlet pipe. The black water pipe seems to have pulled straight out of the tank without doing too much damage, but the side going to the gray water broke off and shattered the pipe.

What are the odds that I have done significant damage "up stream" from where the pipes ripped off? Has anyone ever done this before, and have any idea what the repair might cost me? been debating getting insurance involved.

Old 01-04-2013, 10:52 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by bluegras View Post
Hello all,

I had an incident over the weekend where I was pulling my 2008 31' Forest River flagstaff and I got mired up in some mud. When I was pulling my truck and camper out of the mud with another truck, the back of the camper bottomed out and ripped the sewer pipes off the back.

I looked up under there and I see one wire dangling, which I think maybe was a heater wire to the outlet pipe. The black water pipe seems to have pulled straight out of the tank without doing too much damage, but the side going to the gray water broke off and shattered the pipe.

What are the odds that I have done significant damage "up stream" from where the pipes ripped off? Has anyone ever done this before, and have any idea what the repair might cost me? been debating getting insurance involved.
It only involves some ABS plastic pipe, the only real danger is did you damage the socket/weld to the tanks attachment, doesn't sound like. Would think any plumber who does residential waste piping can replace it. Sometimes the outlet pipe is connected with rubber hose as a vibration/expansion joint tank to piping, but you didn't mention this.

Old 01-04-2013, 12:11 PM   #3

Before attempting any pipe repairs, find a way to plug the existing pipes in such a way that they don't leak and then fill the tanks to check and make sure you haven't cracked/damaged the tanks. If no leaks just re-plumb the pipeing.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-04-2013, 01:45 PM   #4

Good idea on checking for leaks before doing anything.

Can anyone tell me how to verify what wires/colors go together? The wire that was dangling is white, however, the wire on the outlet pipe was red. I am not sure if those two were put together with a connector not, but I just assumed they did.
Old 01-04-2013, 03:09 PM   #5

sound like u pulled some of your tank level sensors wires loose. they don't connect together. they connect to tank level sensors.