Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-09-2017, 05:20 PM   #1

How to access fittings under bathroom sink

I have a 2011 Chaparral Lite fifth wheel. There is a small leak when running water in the bathroom sink. I have read a number of threads on the forum, so have some ideas of what I need to check (didn't know about that black tank flush thingy until I started reading the threads.) There is a shelf inside the cabinet and my head barely fits between the shelf and the bottom of the sink. Add a flashlight and one hand and I can barely figure out how to get a tool in there. Some threads on the forum seem to suggest removing the entire sink countertop. Does anyone have an opinion as to whether or not this is probably the best option? I was considering taking out the faucet or sawing out the shelf, but am not sure if I can reach whatever the plastic part is that I now am presuming is the air siphon thingy I read about in other posts if I only remove the faucet or shelf. My countertop appears to be screwed to wood slats that are screwed to the cabinet base (maybe 10 or 12 screws involved). It almost seems easier to unscrew the drain and then the six clips that appear to be holding the sink to the countertop. I'm asking because typically I take 100 parts off of something and then it dawns on me I only needed to remove three easy things, so I'm trying to find the most effective way to fix this. Thanks in advance - I've already learned so many simple tricks by reading other posts.
Katja is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 09:30 AM   #2

Your not real clear as to what is leaking. If it's just when you run water in the sink,I don't think it's the Vacume breaker for the black tank flush.Look to see if it's coming from around the drain its self.Pretty common place for a leak.Easy to fix by taking off the drain pipe and taking the drain loose from the sink.Recaulk it with plumbers putty and reinstall. If this isn't it,post back.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2017, 01:48 PM   #3

Clarification and hopefully a photo (finally)

My dilemma is that I thought it was impossible for me to get my head in far enough to see what is leaking and to get a camera and/or tools into the space. In the daytime and with a helper, I finally have a photo and can see the leak is where I never even considered. I'm not sure a grown man can get his shoulders inside this cabinet but if I knew what I was doing, I think I might be able fix this. It only leaks when the faucet is on (so far) and a towel absorbs the leak (so far). If I can attach the photo, it turns out the leak is from that hole between the blue hose and the white hose. You can see something shiny - it is the water drop that was about to drop. Maybe it is the faucet that needs to be replaced? I'm taking it in to have the lp lines and bearings checked in April before our 8 week trip to Canada so I could wait and ask the RV shop to do whatever needs to be done. I'm not too proud to admit defeat on something that seems relatively simple. I just want to try to avoid bothering my RV mentors - they have been so good to me this first year with my camper and won't let me pay them for things they do for me! Thanks for any ideas you can give me.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	LucysSinkLeak.jpg
Views:	176
Size:	189.6 KB
ID:	131596  
Old 03-11-2017, 05:34 PM   #4

There shouldn't be water there at all.The only way would be a hole in the faucet or water coming under the faucet from splashing up the sink. turn off the water and you take the faucet loose from the lines.Just turn the winged looking nuts on the hose.They don't have to be hella tight to not leak.When you get the faucet off you may be able to see where it's leaking from. Maybe it froze in the faucet and cracked the valve inside????? Really a WAG on my part.

2011 Ram Mega Cab 3500 Larimie dually
2016 Chaparral 370FL
DaveandSue is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 04:12 PM   #5

Yah...unscrew faucet lines from the faucet.
Then unscrew black "nuts" to release faucet from sink top.
Give it a good inspection for cracks etc. but my guess is that it is fine and you are getting leaks from splashed water around the sink leaking under the faucet top and falling down the hole. If so...put a bead of silicone sealer on the bottom edge of the faucet and reinstall. If you do find cracked components...just replace the faucet and use the silicone on the new install too.
2019 Vespa Primavera 150's (pair)
camaraderie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 07:28 PM   #6

How I accessed my leak

I had a similar leak when I had a Lexington I constantly had wet carpet in the bedroom and water under the sink and in the hall. After much searching and trying to see under the sink I traced the warer trail up the cold water line to the sink. The black fitting is called a Pex swivel connection. I got to it by removing the sink, I did that by releasing the clips under the sink make sure the water was off and opened the hot and cold low level drains. Then disconnect the hot and cold water swivels they should only be hand tight, then lossen the drain which should only be hand tight, take a putty knife and go around the sink to loosen the putty between the sink and the counter. At that time if you can get two people in one can stay low to be sure everything is releasing while the other lifts the sink out. Once the sink was removed I found the rubber washer was missing from the cold water swivel this was not visible from below with the sink in. I went to a plumbing supply house and tried to get the washer and found out you can not get them but you can get a new swivel for under $2.00 and take the washer out of it.
Then all you have to do is reverse the proceedure, start by putting a bead of plumbers putty or silicone between the sink and counter top. I hope this helps I know there was not enough space under my sink for more than one arm.
Don
Don 265 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-12-2017, 08:02 PM   #7

As above, but when you remove the faucet I would buy a new one that is better quality. They put in "inexpensive " all plastic 2 dollar faucets. Going to that trouble, install a good one.
Dwilcox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 12:37 PM   #8

I had a leak in my bathroom sink. Water would appear on the inside shelf. My water lines were tight and so were all connections below the sink. The culprit was the aerator on the end of the faucet spout. It was not tight. When I turned the water on, it came out the spout ok but also some water ran back thru the inside of the spout into the lower cabinet. I tightened the aerator and no more leaks.

Bob
retiredcamper47 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-13-2017, 01:06 PM   #9

Im betting it is the cheap plastic faucet leaking because it is cracked somewhere above the sink. I had that same thing happen and I solved it by replacing the faucet with a residential one from Home Depot or Lowes. They don't have to be expensive and are a MUCH higher quality than the cheap crap they put in RVs

The instructions someone else gave for how to remove it are perfect. Just be sure to put a bit of caulking around the bottom of the faucet when you reinstall the new one. Any silicone caulk will do or even plumbers putty.
Old 03-13-2017, 08:10 PM   #10

Thank you so much everyone

You guys are amazing. I almost can remember that this problem started after I gave that sink a good cleaning - including removing the aerator to clean it and that was when I discovered the whole thing is plastic and I shouldn't turn off the handles with such force. I didn't get the aerator on right the first try and did have a lot of water all over. But I'll check that thing again and I like the idea that a household faucet will work. Yay I get to go shopping for something fun instead of PEX and hose clamps. I thank all of you for all the ideas, I have a plan now on how to start with the easier steps.
Old 04-19-2017, 06:08 PM   #11

Solution

Retiredcamper47 had the solution. I removed the aerator - it was a little tight, but came off quickly. Screwed it back on carefully and it went on easily and farther than when I removed it. Happy to report we just got back from Jekyll Island and have no more leaks. Thank you everyone for the ideas - I may need them in the future, but the simplest fix worked this time!
Many thanks to all - especially retiredcamper47!

Tags
roo, sink