Old 03-02-2012, 10:07 PM   #11
We took a 2 liter pop bottle and cut the bottom off of it. duct taped a hose on the end and used a coleman cooler.......redneck I know but it worked.

imabmwnut is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:40 PM   #12
I use a 6 gallon container with about a 6" included spigot (from Walmart). I just fill up at the faucet, walk back to my trailer with it, and pour it in. Every few days, I add several containers of water--I am a single camper with a new TT w/shower. Worked well for me. More labor intensive, but I can use the additional exercise! You can also get a clear funnel system at the Auto Parts store that has an 18" flexible hose. Caps on both ends of the funnel keep it clean when camping. I used that with our pop-ups for the last 20 years.

Sugarph is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:44 PM   #13
I have two 15 gallon plastic barrels to carry extra water and transfer them to the trailer with a 12 volt pump. Works great.
rkswyo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 05:56 PM   #14
Send a message via Skype™ to weiman1983
If i couldn't get close enough to a tap, I would fill the 5 gallon blue water jugs, put on a tv table near the fill for the trailer and syphon the water out. It works really well as long as your water jug is little higher than your tank fill and your tank is not too big. Otherwise you're making a lot of trips to the tap.
weiman1983 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:07 PM   #15
Moderator Emeritus
To the OP's point, manufacturers are including the fresh water vented inlet in their docking station, usually inside a storage area with a flip up door. This makes filling of the fresh water tank impossible without a hose. Why wouldn't they leave the tank inlet outside of the docking station and it could easily be filled by jerry can or whatever.

We always camp at an electric site but seldom ever have water or sewer hook-ups. I keep the water tank full with 4 - 6 gal jerry cans that I carry. I'll have to come up with another method as lifting a 50 lb container chest high isn't as easy as it used to be.

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:15 PM   #16
Location: No longer own a Forest River product, but enjoy the info on this site
Originally Posted by tentcamper1 View Post
heres what I do. its a 36 gallon tank and 12v. water pump. use alligator clips to hook it up the battery.

That's a slick set-up!
teamgl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:23 PM   #17
The way I do it specially when I am camping without water. I have a few jerricans ( the safe one in blue for drinking ) I dont like to move the trailer from the site just for refilling my tank. I bought a Johnson bilge 12 volt pump ( the one that you get at Department stores ) This pump comes with a few adapters and is very small but very powerfull. I connected 2 battery clamps to connect to the front of my trailer battery. Cost aprx 20$ and work very good. The model is the johnson # 3250. The pump is a bit too big to fit in the jerrican but I put the pump into a clean pail and feed the pail with the jerrican. Takes about 2 minutes to emty a 5 gallon .I forgot to mention that nearby all the camping washrooms there is a place to get your water.
capucine is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 06:30 PM   #18
Originally Posted by teamgl View Post
That's a slick set-up!
tentcamper1, I have the same set-up. Only I use a cigarette lighter adapter and plug it into my truck 12v outlet ( fused ).
Crusader is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:32 PM   #19
It's funny that this post comes up today--I just finished wiring my external/auxillary 12V pump to a battery disconnect (I use 2 prong trailer plugs as "pigtails" on my battery, that's how my trickle charger gets hooked up) earlier today. My original idea was to use this pump, connected to the city water connection, for both winterizing with antifreeze and dewinterizing with the bleach/water solution. But the added bonus of filling the FW tank only occurred to me after reading this thread. Mine is also the bilge-pump type, it moves a lot of water quickly, and it only cost $23 at the boat dealer. Cheap and easy mod.
2015 XLR Hyperlite 30HFS5 (mods being performed regularly)
2009 Salem LA 292fkds (gone)
Nights- ('12)23 ('13)23 ('14)15 ('15)31 ('16)25
2014 Harley Davidson FLHX (XLR cargo)
2014 VW Jetta TDI (diesel sipper, camping support vehicle)
2011 Ram 2500 CC 4X4 CTD, B&W Companion (toy hauler hauler)
Taranwanderer is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-04-2012, 07:47 PM   #20
Originally Posted by Crusader View Post
tentcamper1, I have the same set-up. Only I use a cigarette lighter adapter and plug it into my truck 12v outlet ( fused ).
at the end of the season last year I took an old 4 way flat trailer wire harness (used 2 wires) and wired it to the battery terminals with the in-line fuse. all I have to do is plug into the harness and pump the water. no more taking the battery box top off.

2007 Chevy 2500HD CC
2010 V-Lite 30WRLTS
Nights Camped 2011 -64
Nights Camped 2012 -50
"I Live in My Own World, But It's OK. They Know Me"
tentcamper1 is offline   Reply With Quote