Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-12-2018, 06:52 PM   #1

How to connect 1" poly pipe to tank fill opening

I have some 1" 100psi poly pipe running from a well to my trailer. I havent hooked everything up right and want to know what kind of connector to put at the end of the poly pipe that would then connect to the opening on the trailer that goes to its 50gal water tank. Do most rv's have some standard kind of connector? I just looked at the thing and it doesnt appear to have any kind of threads on the inside of the opening, has some threads on the outside. Ill attach some photos of the opening.Click image for larger version

Name:	20180812_120637.jpeg
Views:	156
Size:	44.1 KB
ID:	183030Click image for larger version

Name:	20180812_120642.jpeg
Views:	151
Size:	54.2 KB
ID:	183031
forestdweller is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #2

No there is no connector. You just stuff the hose, or whatever you are using to fill the tank in the fill neck and let it run until the tank is full (water will start coming out the overfill vent to the left of fill neck). Turn off the water and put the cap back on the fill neck and you are done.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 06:59 PM   #3

My old Bounder had a valve that ran from the pump output to the pump input which bypassed the pump so that if opened, would fill the water tank from the city water connection. Not too hard to install. Does your well pump have an accumulator tank and pressure switch? If so, you could just use the city water connection when you are there.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #4
Site Team

That water fill is designed to be filled with a small hose in the large opening. You can add a male hose fitting on the end of the PVC and connect a short piece of water hose and stick the other end of the water hose into that fill port.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 07:00 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by KeithInUpstateNY View Post
No there is no connector. You just stuff the hose, or whatever you are using to fill the tank in the fill neck and let it run until the tank is full (water will start coming out the overfill vent to the left of fill neck). Turn off the water and put the cap back on the fill neck and you are done.
So i guess if i wanted to attach a valve to the end of the hose to turn it in and off i would just choose one that still made it easy to fit inside the opening?
Old 08-12-2018, 07:03 PM   #6

You might want to attach a hose fitting and get one of these along with a short hose. It slips down into the throat of the tank and helps to fill it faster.
http://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Wate...Valve/23500597
Old 08-12-2018, 07:04 PM   #7
Site Team

You can add a valve at the end of the PVC before the short piece of garden hose. The things that you think are threads are simply to hold on the cap.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:14 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by forestdweller View Post
So i guess if i wanted to attach a valve to the end of the hose to turn it in and off i would just choose one that still made it easy to fit inside the opening?
By "1" 100psi poly pipe" do you mean the clear 1" inside diameter tubing they sell by the foot at Lowe's or Home Depot? If so, it fits perfectly in the fill neck, just cut the end at an angle to help it stay seated. It's what I use on my 6 gallon water jugs when I'm boondocking. Get an inline shut off valve and you should be good to go.
KeithInUpstateNY is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-12-2018, 08:39 PM   #9

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeowner View Post
You might want to attach a hose fitting and get one of these along with a short hose. It slips down into the throat of the tank and helps to fill it faster.

wannabeowner's post here is the answer to filling the freshwater tank, ... that's what this adapter is made for, ... it has a fill tube plus a shutoff valve and is very affordable, what else do you need, ...

fella10 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 01:58 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by wannabeowner View Post
X2. Best choice!
Filterman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:20 PM   #11

"Fella10" illustrated a good fill adapter. Here's another. I think mine's from Camco and looks like the one Fella10 featured.

Adapt the end of your water supply line to a standard garden hose "male" fitting. Add a shutoff adapter. Add quick connect fittings. Use a male quick connect on your fill adapter. Store the fill adapter in a clean ziplock baggie where you keep your city water hose. Keep the hose end of your supply line closed when not in use. Use chlorox cleanup or similar chlorine cleaner to sanitize the hose end about 10 to 15 minutes prior to filling. I also sanitize the Camco fill adapter. Flush out the cleaner thoroughly before filling. Also spray the fill port on the RV...just a little so that cleaner doesn't go down the fill pipe or air vent. Sanitizing addresses the real possibility of a dog lifting his leg on your hose end or wildlife attempting to drink from your water supply...and bugs, rodents, etc. seeking water. It's easy and good insurance. Sanitizing the fill port copes with road grime and any other "shmoo" that might contaminate that fill port.

You absolutely do NOT want a "pressurized" connection to your freshwater fill tank. The soft tank and/or plastic fittings could easily blow apart under 60 PSI of water pressure typical at most homes, and the air vent hose is far too small to relieve that pressure adequately. It's a "gravity feed" system...unlike the "city water" connection on your RV. And even that city water connection requires a step-down pressure reducer to 25 PSI to protect the RV plumbing.

Maintain the gravity feed nature of this fill port, and you'll be happy. The handy shutoff on the fill adapter is great for throttling back the flow if your tank can't take the water that fast. The adapter is strong enough to keep the hose in place and let you walk away while filling...at least with ordinary garden hose. If your 1" supply line is too heavy, add a short length of RV freshwater supply hose to the end of the supply hose. Move the hose-end shutoff to the end of this hose...to keep the vermin out. Those hoses are very light weight, and some are smaller diameter--1/2" is plenty. This will reduce the rate of flow enough to improve the chances that the fresh tank can take the gravity feed without getting air-bound. The Camco adapter is also good for filling my 4 x 7-gallon freshwater tanks I carry in the TV bed--we boondock exclusively. I can walk away while they are filling, too.

My photo depicts a somewhat similar setup to what I recommend for you. I have a 100' 3/4" "garden hose" feeding a much shorter hose on the hose reel. Both hoses have hose-end shut-offs to keep them from harboring pests and getting contaminated.

By the way, I used a hose end garden fertilizer sprayer on the input end of these hoses when new to sanitize the hoses. Note the male and female garden hose fittings allowing this to be installed anywhere in the hose line...even right off the hose bib (double check this feature before buying...mine's from Miracle Grow and many years old...hose in and hose out). A little chlorox in the hose end fertilizer sprayer sent diluted chlorox through the hoses. I removed the hose end sprayer, flushed thoroughly, and sealed up the hoses. (This is also how I pre-mix for sanitizing the freshwater system.) I use this hose system exclusively for RV freshwater, and I never disconnect it from the manifold on the hose bib end, so I only need to clean the hose ends at the RV end.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	Hose.jpg
Views:	90
Size:	293.3 KB
ID:	183102  
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 02:26 PM   #12

P.S. On the rare occasions where I connect to city water in an RV park, I always use the Chlorox Cleanup to sanitize the park's hose bib and my own hose fittings, and the fitting on the RV. The possibility that some large dog recently lifted his leg on the hose bib at the RV park is more than enough motivation for this. And, despite bagging my freshwater hose and connecting the ends to keep vermin out, an ounce of prevention on the hose ends and the RV connection (which is just "hanging out there," facing oncoming traffic as one drives down the road) is worth a pound of Pepto Bismol.
2006 Ram 1500 4WD Crew with Firestone Airbags
Every weekend boondocking in the National Forests or at Lake Vallecito.
jimmoore13 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 03:27 PM   #13
Newly Retired

Washer hose

I use and old rubber washing machine hose cut in half. Push it in the filler a couple of feet.
It’s a free accessory!
Steveboe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:04 PM   #14

Maybe use a length of hose and shove it in as far as it will go so it doesn’t fall out. Whatever, don’t pressurize the connection. That fill port is gravity fed only.
Splitshaft is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-13-2018, 05:21 PM   #15

I use a "Secure-Fill".
https://www.amazon.com/SNL-Products-...ct_top?ie=UTF8
Old 08-14-2018, 08:00 AM   #16

Leave an air gap, or the fill hose could "pressurize" and balloon your tank, which will cause damage. Stuffing the hose down the fill port without an air gap to release is the same as a fitting connected. A bad idea. Use the adaptor mentioned above and you'll be fine.
JJaxon is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 08:12 AM   #17

r u just wanting to fill ur tank for travel, or r u trying to use the well for 24/7 pressurized water to the rv?
formerFR is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:25 AM   #18

Quote:
Originally Posted by fella10 View Post
wannabeowner's post here is the answer to filling the freshwater tank, ... that's what this adapter is made for, ... it has a fill tube plus a shutoff valve and is very affordable, what else do you need, ...

If you are going to use one of these,,, I would suggest you glue the tube to the yellow valve before you use it !!!
Years ago my DW removed ours from our old TT and the tube fell into the FW tank !!! it is in that FW tank forever,,, does not help when comes to draining !!!
A better choice is to make a garden hose with no end,,, @ about 2ft long !!!

Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-14-2018, 09:29 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by dcling View Post
I have a brass valve like that,,, valve will not shut off complete !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-18-2018, 03:39 PM   #20

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimmoore13 View Post
"Fella10" illustrated a good fill adapter. Here's another. I think mine's from Camco and looks like the one Fella10 featured.

Adapt the end of your water supply line to a standard garden hose "male" fitting. Add a shutoff adapter. Add quick connect fittings. Use a male quick connect on your fill adapter. Store the fill adapter in a clean ziplock baggie where you keep your city water hose. Keep the hose end of your supply line closed when not in use. Use chlorox cleanup or similar chlorine cleaner to sanitize the hose end about 10 to 15 minutes prior to filling. I also sanitize the Camco fill adapter. Flush out the cleaner thoroughly before filling. Also spray the fill port on the RV...just a little so that cleaner doesn't go down the fill pipe or air vent. Sanitizing addresses the real possibility of a dog lifting his leg on your hose end or wildlife attempting to drink from your water supply...and bugs, rodents, etc. seeking water. It's easy and good insurance. Sanitizing the fill port copes with road grime and any other "shmoo" that might contaminate that fill port.

You absolutely do NOT want a "pressurized" connection to your freshwater fill tank. The soft tank and/or plastic fittings could easily blow apart under 60 PSI of water pressure typical at most homes, and the air vent hose is far too small to relieve that pressure adequately. It's a "gravity feed" system...unlike the "city water" connection on your RV. And even that city water connection requires a step-down pressure reducer to 25 PSI to protect the RV plumbing.

Maintain the gravity feed nature of this fill port, and you'll be happy. The handy shutoff on the fill adapter is great for throttling back the flow if your tank can't take the water that fast. The adapter is strong enough to keep the hose in place and let you walk away while filling...at least with ordinary garden hose. If your 1" supply line is too heavy, add a short length of RV freshwater supply hose to the end of the supply hose. Move the hose-end shutoff to the end of this hose...to keep the vermin out. Those hoses are very light weight, and some are smaller diameter--1/2" is plenty. This will reduce the rate of flow enough to improve the chances that the fresh tank can take the gravity feed without getting air-bound. The Camco adapter is also good for filling my 4 x 7-gallon freshwater tanks I carry in the TV bed--we boondock exclusively. I can walk away while they are filling, too.

My photo depicts a somewhat similar setup to what I recommend for you. I have a 100' 3/4" "garden hose" feeding a much shorter hose on the hose reel. Both hoses have hose-end shut-offs to keep them from harboring pests and getting contaminated.

By the way, I used a hose end garden fertilizer sprayer on the input end of these hoses when new to sanitize the hoses. Note the male and female garden hose fittings allowing this to be installed anywhere in the hose line...even right off the hose bib (double check this feature before buying...mine's from Miracle Grow and many years old...hose in and hose out). A little chlorox in the hose end fertilizer sprayer sent diluted chlorox through the hoses. I removed the hose end sprayer, flushed thoroughly, and sealed up the hoses. (This is also how I pre-mix for sanitizing the freshwater system.) I use this hose system exclusively for RV freshwater, and I never disconnect it from the manifold on the hose bib end, so I only need to clean the hose ends at the RV end.
So when i first filled the fresh tank i wasnt aware that the water coming from the well pump wqs pressurized so much and it did really blast in there. Idk how many psi it was. After that i noticed that the fresh water tank sensor wasnt working. Do you think this is related? Also how can I check that the water pressure didnt damage the tank itself? Now i have a pressure regulator attachment on the hose.

Tags
tank