Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 09-28-2014, 06:03 PM   #1

How to Drain, Fill, Sanitize Tanks? Rotten Egg Smell

For the past few months my fresh water has had a rotten egg smell which I have decided does not seem to be magically going away unfortunately.

Googling this has revealed that many people suggest I need to drain and fill the water tank and the hot water heater and then use bleach or vinegar to sanitize them and this should hopefully solve the problem.

Unfortunately looking at my trailer and the papers with it I am utterly mystified as to how I am supposed to get the water out of the water tank and the hot water heater, or how the new clean water and the bleach and vinegar are supposed to be getting in. I have attached the water hose to the RV parks water faucet and this has been resulting in the existence of water pressure and water has been flowing etc . . . . does this mean the tank is full or is the tank separate? Do I drain the tanks by unconnecting the water hose and running the faucets or bath tub with the electric pump until no more water comes out? Will the water heater catch fire or explode or the like if it runs dry? Can I turn the water heater off before draining somehow?

Does anyone have any thoughts on how I would go about starting to figure this out? And does the outlined plan sound correct?

Sorry about the confusing post, I haven't been able to even find enough answers trying to google this to ask an intelligent question, and I have only been living in my trailer about a year
Old 09-28-2014, 06:35 PM   #2

If you have an Atwood this is the drain.

If you have the Suburban remove the anode rod with a 1 1/16th socket.

Be sure to flip the pressure valve first no mater which you have.

Some place under your unit is some tubes hanging that may have a cap on them, remove the caps, they are low point and water tank drains.

Tags
drain, tank