Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-31-2014, 01:41 PM   #1

How to drop grey & black water tanks?

My TT will be living it's life out at a permanent site which has a septic system so i dont need the grey or black holding tanks. My previous TT was plumbed so no tanks were needed but i didnt do the tank removal. I crawled under the trailer this past weekend and saw how they remove from the frame of the trailer but no clue how the plumbing connects to the tanks. So would anyone be able to tell me how i go about diconnecting the tanks from the TT's plumbing?

Am i able to use the existing TT toilet in this manner? Perviously i had a standard household toilet in the trailer but i dont think that one would fit in the space i have available.

'95 Sierra
BBQin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2014, 01:57 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

I wouldn't want to use a TT toilet on a standard sewer line. Too much potential for sewer gases to come back up the pipe. Residential toilets have a trap built in to prevent those.

If you're going to go this route I'd recommend you look for a small residential toilet that might fit.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:05 AM   #3

Finding a household toilet that'd fit was going to be one of my missions in the near future. Isnt the "trap door" in the current toilet enough to prevent sewer gases from entering the trailer? I mean, there's a tank of poo right below it creating the same gases so i'd think the holding tank would be more detrimental than a septic system in terms of gases.
Old 04-01-2014, 09:29 AM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by BBQin View Post
Finding a household toilet that'd fit was going to be one of my missions in the near future. Isnt the "trap door" in the current toilet enough to prevent sewer gases from entering the trailer? I mean, there's a tank of poo right below it creating the same gases so i'd think the holding tank would be more detrimental than a septic system in terms of gases.
It has been my experience that there is little/no airflow through a closed-off black tank when there can be significant airflow through piping to the septic system. Of course, I've never operated without a black and with plumbing straight to the septic system.

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-01-2014, 10:11 AM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

The way a TT toilet works you're just opening a direct vent into the holding tank. With normal use, a holding tank won't hold stuff long enough to break down and turn into gases. What little does break down is vented.

If you were to plumb a TT tank to a septic, you'd be letting all the gases in that septic back into the trailer every time you flushed. And unlike a holding tank, you can't dump a septic to get rid of the stink.

If you can't find a residential toilet that fits, I'd recommend keeping the holding tank, and just plumb from the dump valve to the septic. If the tank get's full or things start to stink, just a matter of pulling a handle.

One option to look into for space saving is a tankless toilet design. Having the tank on the back of the toilet is what generally eats up space, but I've seen some pretty slim designs without tanks in public restrooms. No idea where to buy one though....
Old 04-01-2014, 11:11 AM   #6

Let me add that this septic system isnt like a modern system with a holding tank and leach field. It's basically a leach pit where everything is dumped into a pit under ground and the ground water washes everything into the ground, high water table. It'd be almost impossible to get a real septic system on the property. The previous trailer's 2 sinks didnt have traps and i never had an odor in the trailer, even on the hottest of days. I thought about keeping the tanks and dumping like you said, which i may still do, but i was seeing if anyone ever did this before. Plus the trailer's at my house so i want to get as much stuff done before i roll it up to the camp which is about an hour away. Worse case senario i keep everything the way it is and dump it before we leave after the weekend or ideally i can figure out a way to put a real toilet in there and problem solved.
Old 04-01-2014, 12:37 PM   #7
Moderator Emeritus

You're lucky then. I've been assailed by some pretty noxious fumes opening sewer hookups or dump stations.

Tags
black, black water, tank, water, water tank