Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-08-2018, 12:15 AM   #1

How to flush the black tank

I just bought a 2401R MBS and I am a bit confused regarding the procedure for flushing the black water tank. On the side of the RV next to the black tank flush hose connection there is a sticker that says "Do not use the tank flush valves unless the fullway termination valve is in the open position. Can result in unsanitary condition..."

What is a tank flush valve and where are they located?
What is the fullway termination valve and how do I insure that it is in the open position?

Can anyone give me easy to follow step by step instructions for flushing my new black tank? Do you also recommend flushing the tank with a wand from the toilet? Thanks in advance from this dump station newbie.
RV-MO is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:15 AM   #2

Tank flush is a sprayer that does a so-so job of rinsing residual debris from your black tank. Recommended procedure is to open black tank valve, then hook up hose to flush hook up and run fresh water while black tank valve is open. Many, myself included, drain my black tank the, close the valve and then hook up the flusher and partially fill black tank, then when a build up of clean water is in the tank, open black valve so you get a water surge to clean out left over debris. Repeat as needed. Inherent risk here is that if you get distacted (easily done), you get a poo fountain coming out of your exhaust stack or toilet. Thousands of posts where this has happened. Wand works very well but a hassle and can get messy. I've used the rinser for years with the above method without a problem.
Rusty
lcv800 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:45 AM   #3
GOODBYE SUIT - HELLO RV!!

Quote:
Originally Posted by lcv800 View Post
T I've used the rinser for years with the above method without a problem.Rusty
x2, I've always used the onboard tank flusher for years without issue because I ALWAYS flush and rinse fully every time and I keep the black tank wet at all times. Once I flush fully, I add back a couple gallons of fresh water along with a packet of tank treatment so it sloshes around in the tank on the drive home and the tank is ready for the next trip. The issues with paper sticking to the sensor and throwing off your readings that you read about all the time, or the dreaded "pile of poo paper mache" is caused by folks not using enough water when they flush and not keeping the tank wet at all times. I also installed a tap into my sewer line at home so if the dump line is long, I dump and rinse when I get home.

I considered buying a flush king (the outside tank flush assist) but so far have not made the leap. I would not want a wand to use inside when there are good options for using it outside.

And lastly, there is a lot of information on the internet to help you along with all of the nice people here!

P.S.: Don't forget to wear gloves when you dump your tanks!!!!
2017 Ford Mustang GT Premium California Special Convertible (The Beast)
2006 Ford Mustang 3.0 V6 Convertible (Lil' Blue)
HappyCamper1962 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 08:54 AM   #4

And I’ve found that if my sensors are showing an incorrect tank level, even after extensive flushing, I throw an 8 lb bag of ice down the commode and as I drive home, the ice cleans off the sensors and the tank walls.
Past: 2018 Flagstaff MicroLite 21FBRS
Past: 2005 Flagstaff Classic 625D
TV: 2016 Ford F-150 3.5 EcoBoost
marinerjoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:25 AM   #5
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by RV-MO View Post
"Do not use the tank flush valves unless the fullway termination valve is in the open position. Can result in unsanitary condition..."

What is a tank flush valve and where are they located?
What is the fullway termination valve and how do I insure that it is in the open position?

1. "valves" is misleading since it's plural. There's not two.
2. "valves" is misleading because there's not even one! It's not a valve, it's a water inlet with threads where you screw on a hose.
3. "fullway termination valve" is misleading since normal people can it a "black tank dump valve".

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 09:57 AM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mr. Dan View Post
1. "valves" is misleading since it's plural. There's not two.
2. "valves" is misleading because there's not even one! It's not a valve, it's a water inlet with threads where you screw on a hose.
3. "fullway termination valve" is misleading since normal people can it a "black tank dump valve".

Don't you just love RV language? I think it's great! ROTFLMAO.
cavie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:00 AM   #7
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by cavie View Post
Don't you just love RV language? I think it's great! ROTFLMAO.
This particular label "takes the cake" in my book. I don't think a single label should cause so many owners to ask "What does this mean?"

Nights Camped: '13 = 49/'14 = 74/'15 = 74/'16 = 85/'17 = 110/'18 = 111/'19 = 86/'20 =108/'21 = 115/'22 = 135/'23 = 78; Booked for 2024 = 69
Mr. Dan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 10:50 AM   #8

My procedure -

1) dump black tank - close dump valve

2) run hose from dump station water hose outlet to black tank flush

3) turn on water to flush and fill black tank (yes, I have the dump valve closed)

4) let water run for a few minutes and dump black tank again

5) repeat this procedure 3-4 times if dump station is not busy

6) close black tank valve, TURN OFF WATER HOSE and dump gray tank

NEVER leave the site while water is running! Make this procedure your ONLY task until finished
2rad4u is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:24 PM   #9

You guys forgot the most important piece. Be sure to connect your sewer hose to the trailer as well as the sewer inlet.
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 05:35 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
You guys forgot the most important piece. Be sure to connect your sewer hose to the trailer as well as the sewer inlet.
If your dumb enough to pull a dump valve without hooking up the hoses first, RV'ing may not be for you...
Old 12-08-2018, 05:44 PM   #11

Ya think?
lewisra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:13 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by marinerjoe View Post
And I’ve found that if my sensors are showing an incorrect tank level, even after extensive flushing, I throw an 8 lb bag of ice down the commode and as I drive home, the ice cleans off the sensors and the tank walls.
I have a macerator toilet, so would flushing ice cubes harm the mechanism? Off-hand I'm thinking it might.
dr911 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 06:45 PM   #13

Right on! One needs to connect the hose first.
Rmstack is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-08-2018, 11:32 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by lewisra View Post
You mean there's a hose???

Bill J., Lexington, KY.
whjco is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 12:52 AM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by dr911 View Post
I have a macerator toilet, so would flushing ice cubes harm the mechanism? Off-hand I'm thinking it might.
Key point is that the ice may clean off the sensors ON THE DRIVE HOME. After a few hour drive, I doubt you will have to worry about ice.
S.E. Mich. Flagstaff 26FKWS / 2022 F-150 3.5 EcoBoost SCrew Propride
SailorSam20500 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 06:10 AM   #16
"On the road again"

Quote:
Originally Posted by 2rad4u View Post
My procedure -

3) turn on water to flush and fill black tank (yes, I have the dump valve closed)

NEVER leave the site while water is running! Make this procedure your ONLY task until finished

My procedure exactly - been doing it for many years successfully. The most important instruction here is the last paragraph...except I never stray more than 10 feet from the wet bay where it's all attached and controlled.

Robert & Estha Shiflet
Georgetown XL 378TS
Jeep Gladiator Willys Tow Vehicle
rjshiflet is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 08:50 AM   #17

So now you know from the posts the procedure . however i have found that using the black tank flush to refill the black tank for a second flush [which can cause issues if you forget it's filling and walk off ] is to leave the flush valve open or termination valve or black dump valve open and allow the black tank flush to do it's job , it may take 20 mins or more just allowing it to flush and clean the tank . i used to do it the other way but find this way does a much better job . i've allowed it to run for up to an hour [ok walked away while flushing ] but no worries because the valve was open . look up you--tube videos and you'll see this way cleans the tanks the best . forget ice it's a myth and won't do anything much.
MR.M is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:31 AM   #18

i agree with all the above except for i add the geo method and it seems to help let the poo slide right out and sparkling clean after the second flush
madatme is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-09-2018, 09:33 AM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by MR.M View Post
i've allowed it to run for up to an hour [ok walked away while flushing ] but no worries because the valve was open
Can't do that at a busy dump station though. Unless, of course, you want to fistfight the next guy in line, lol.

I agree that the black tank flush does a great job letting it run with the valve open. I will do that after my normal procedure IF I have time and no one is waiting.

With people waiting - dump, close valve, fill for a few minutes, dump, repeat and go.

I also let the tank flush run for a minute or two AFTER I've closed the valve for the last time to add water to the black tank. Then I drop in my black tank chemicals and I'm ready for the next trip!
Old 12-09-2018, 10:51 AM   #20

Quote:
My procedure -

Quote:
Can't do that at a busy dump station though. Unless, of course, you want to fistfight the next guy in line, lol.

I agree that the black tank flush does a great job letting it run with the valve open. I will do that after my normal procedure IF I have time and no one is waiting.

With people waiting - dump, close valve, fill for a few minutes, dump, repeat and go.

I also let the tank flush run for a minute or two AFTER I've closed the valve for the last time to add water to the black tank. Then I drop in my black tank chemicals and I'm ready for the next trip!
I also let the black tank flush add a few gallon to the black tank after water comes out clean. But I add a scoop of laundry soap down the RV toilet instead of chemicals.

When I bought a new front loader washing machine for our house, it needed HE laundry soap. I was left a bucket of Costco regular laundry soap without a use. I started putting a scoop down the RV toilet when ever I dumped the black tank. I still have a half a bucket to go.

I also add a scoop to the grey tank a few days before I winterize, to clean the grease out of it. I do not have a grew tank flush.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black tank, flush, tank