Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2012, 01:33 AM   #21

Sorry, my trailer is in storage, so I could not easily take a picture. I should have thought of putting the bleach in the hose. Duh. The valve does keep dirt and critters out of the tank in case the cap is left off, so perhaps it is intentional on Forest River's part. Thanks guys!
Terrel is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:00 AM   #22

Why not just put the bleach mixture in your water hose, connect it to the inlet. BUT make sure there is a pressure relief from the tank that works! Usually a 1" hose hanging down with the system drains. If you are going to fill the tank, calculate the amount of bleach needed, empty your water hose, connect it to the tap, pour the bleach slowly into the hose, connect the hose to the inlet and turn on the water. This will clean the hose and tank. Do not run bleach through a carbon filter as this will stop the "activated carbon" from working. I do this to my home water system approximately once a year. Works great.
oldprof1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:33 PM   #23

In response to requests for a picture of the XLR fresh water intake system I attached one. There is a single hose connection with a switch for city water and tank water fill. There is no other inlet where to add bleach to sanitize the system. We have a siphon mixer where you can draw solution from a container. I plan on mixing a bleach concentration that is appropriate for our 100 gallon fresh water tank and siphon into the single opening. I will try this next month before our initial trip.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1893.jpg
Views:	168
Size:	48.9 KB
ID:	10928  
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 03:57 PM   #24
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Whats the one on the far right?
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 04:25 PM   #25

Quote:
Originally Posted by f1100turbo View Post
Whats the one on the far right?

That is the connection for the cable TV.
Honda ST1100
BMW R1100R
Linnemj is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 06:31 PM   #26
Pirate Todd and Wench

Another thing you might try is putting the bleach in the hose itself and connecting it on both ends before turning on the water. Instant injection of bleach! I've done this to sanitize the hose as well.
-Equilzer 1200lb hitch
mrtodds is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:30 PM   #27

If not in else hook one end of you hose up to your camper fill it with bleach connect the other to the water and turn it on
j2detroit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:36 PM   #28

Quote:
Originally Posted by Terrel
My fresh water tank inlet has a one way valve that prevents pouring any liquid into the tank. How do you get a bleach mixture into the tank?
You have an inlet that you can stick a garden hose down in the tube a little.Now the opening is to high so you can't pour anything into it.You get a funnel with a flexible long tube connected and pour your bleach in that and it will gravity fead into the tank.kind of common place now
Cuttinchief is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:39 PM   #29
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Cuttinchief View Post
You have an inlet that you can stick a garden hose down in the tube a little.Now the opening is to high so you can't pour anything into it.You get a funnel with a flexible long tube connected and pour your bleach in that and it will gravity fead into the tank.kind of common place now
try reading all the posts this was covered already .
TURBS is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2012, 07:46 PM   #30

I utilize a lawn sprayer system , one garden hose fitted on each side, fill with a 50/50 bleach mixture once it syphons into the hose it is further diluted.
Bill m is offline   Reply With Quote