Old 03-30-2011, 11:14 PM   #1
How to rinse out black water tank/toilet

We're first timers so I have lots of questions that are probably pretty ridiculous. I did a search first, but didn't find a really simplistic answer to this question:

What's the best way to rinse out the black water tank after we complete our first trip this weekend? I think we understand how to dump the tank, but after that, shouldn't we rinse it out somehow? I think I remember our PDI guy saying that we should run water from a regular garden hose down the toilet, but that pick-up day was overwhelming, so it's hard to remember.

Kara in Memphis, TN
plus a 6 year old son, twin 2 year old daughters, and a husband
March 2011 - bought our first TT - 2011 26TBUD
Nights camped so far in 2011 - 2
karaintn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:42 PM   #2
You might have a tank flush connection by your city water hook up. That's by far the easiest way. I haven't had to stick a hose in the toilet so I don't know that. our trailer has the black tank connection. good luck.

2011 Ram Laramie
2010 Rockwood 8319ss
2010 Polaris sportman 300(wife's)
2005 Polaris sportman 500HO (mine)

trailraider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-30-2011, 11:56 PM   #3
Mine has a hose hook up on the opposite side of the trailer. Of course the dealer told me it was for the grey tank flush out. Found out the hard way he was wrong. If not you may want to invest in a Flojet Macerator. It has a hose hook up so you can back flush the tank.
Eric F.
2015 Flagstaff Shamrock 233S
2012 Ford F250
Eric F. is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 03:19 AM   #4
As stated in other post, you may have a black tank flush attachment. This will have a hose connection on the outside wall of the trailer. You may also have paper work for it in you stack of manuals etc.

Now if you do not have, yes a hose down the toilet is the best way. They do make an attachment to the hose that will help in the cleaning process. The down side to this is it will be almost impossiable to use this system while at a dump station.
3500 Ram 5.9l diesel
08 35 RLT Cardinal
5th Airborne Pin Box
cardinal4fun is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 04:15 AM   #5
I have run water out of a hose into the tank before I left my driveway. You don't need a lot of water. Then let it slosh around while you drive to your destination. When you get there, dump it before you set up.

As mentioned before they make an attachment that goes onto the hose. You stick it down the toilet and water comes out of it in different directions. I use this if I go to a place that has full hook-ups. Just let it run for a while and let it go right out of the bottom.

2011 Sierra 355 QBQ
04 Ford F350 V10
blatch70 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 06:21 AM   #6
Here is an thread from this site I like to follow:
Black and Gray Water Holding Tank Maintenance
2015 Ford Expedition EL
2012 Salem Hemisphere 312QBUD
buckeyefan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:30 AM   #7
the black tank flush on my 5th wheel is in the side of the trailer close to the dump connection. when u use it, the dump valve should be open.

on my 84 trailer, i didn't have a flush; i would dump then flush the commode for a couple minutes to move it out. then i would close the black tank valve and dump the gray to remove most of the black water from the hose.

i like blatch70's method of putting a few gals in the black tank before the trip and let it slosh around. dump that when u set up. i've used that method when trying to clean the probes.

i would also carry abt 1/3 to 1/2 tank of fresh water. u can use it to flush and wash hands while on the trip. useto run dry then pulled into a full hookup park, hooked up then went to eat. when we got back, they had lost the well. first and only time that has happened to me. the added weight has not changed my fuel economy or is a very small % of the total weight.
jimh is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 07:32 AM   #8
Moderator Emeritus
This will work if you don't have a built-in flush system: Valterra Products - Flexible Tank Wand - Drain & Flush Systems - Camping World

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2006 Ford F150 Super Cab 4x4
2008 Surveyor 263
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:20 PM   #9
After reading this, I'm even more confused!

I was just about to purchase a King Flush which I thought allows one to "backfill" the black tank so one won't have to stick a hose or wand down the toilet. I thought the sequence would be dump, backfill, dump and all of the nasties would be gone!

Do I really need a hose to drag through the coach & a wand to stick down the toilet?

Enjoying the great outdoors with one hubby and 2 boxers!
2011 Georgetown 280DS
2010 Jeep Wangler 4x4 Toad
KarenS144 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-31-2011, 12:33 PM   #10
We tried using a wand, but the end broke off in the tank the first time we used it. We have found a hose with a strong spray attachment works well. After dumping, we put a little bit of clorox and/or a diswasher soap cube and a bucket of water in the tank for the ride home. We are then able to drain the couple of galons of water into a bucket when we get home and dump it appropriately.

Don and Laura + Critters, Eloise and Cooper
Chesapeake, VA
VAlover is offline   Reply With Quote

black water, hose