Old 07-17-2012, 09:11 AM   #1

How to switch hot water from gas to electric

We have a 2007 Rockwood UltraLite 8388SS, and do not have an owner's manual. Can anyone tell me how to switch the hot water heater from gas to electric? I know there's a switch somewhere at the heater but I'm not sure which one it is. Thank you so much for your assistance.

Old 07-17-2012, 09:17 AM   #2

I heat up the water with gas then switch over to electric. The switch is located below the gas pipe on the face of the water heater. Small black toggle, lower left hand corner on mine. There maybe a small clip through it. Works great and saves on gas when you are hooked up at a CG.

Old 07-17-2012, 02:34 PM   #3
Moderator Emeritus

There's also a breaker on the AC side of the power center marked WH. Always make sure the the WH is full of water, especially when de-winterizing. You'll burn out the electrode if powered up on a empty WH tank.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-17-2012, 02:50 PM   #4
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by parrothead4582
We have a 2007 Rockwood UltraLite 8388SS, and do not have an owner's manual. Can anyone tell me how to switch the hot water heater from gas to electric? I know there's a switch somewhere at the heater but I'm not sure which one it is. Thank you so much for your assistance.
Make and model of hw heater?

If its a suburban hw heater switch is lower left hand side.
Its a black rocker.
Old 07-17-2012, 03:48 PM   #5

Mine has two switches. One breaker switch in the main distribution panel which must nbe on, and then a switch (with a locking pin) rdirectly on the unit.

Heed Dave's previous warning about making SURE that the tank stays full when the electric is on. Running it dry is a sure way to burn it up. Also, I do the same as fkent when I'm going to use the electric. Heat the water initially with gass, then switch over. I also put the gas back on when we are taking morning showers, as it recovers so much quickly...

2014 RAM 2500 Laramie 4x4 Quad Cab w/Cummins Turbo Diesel, 2009 Rockwood 2607, and 3 'yaks!
300W of Suntech Solar, a Rogue MPT-3024 Controller, and a Xantrex PW2000 Inverter
Fire Instructor is offline   Reply With Quote