Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 07-22-2019, 12:29 PM   #1

I Got the Black Water Bad Shoulder Blues

We went on our first camping trip this weekend. It was a wonderful experience. Including an easy to get to dump station. What I realized, though, is that the blank tank handle is designed to be pulled with your left hand from right to left. My shoulder is incredibly bad to the point that it truly does need to be replaced. So I have very little strength in my left arm and even the smallest thing can make my shoulder hurt like nobody’s business. I looked under the trailer and can understand why the the handle has to be pulled from left right as opposed to straight out towards you like the gray tank handle works. However, just because I know why it is designed that way doesn’t make it any easier. I had to lie on my back under the trailer to open the valve. I can only imagine how nasty that job would be on the wet ground particularly during a rain storm. Has anyone found a better way to pull out the black tank dump handle?
JWood422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:31 PM   #2

Don't know what you have. Mine pulls straight out.

Had shoulder done. Shoulder worst one, 6 months to 100% recovery (I need the other one done). Knees second, rehab is hard (I need both). Hips (I need two) next, almost no rehab. I don't have enough life left for all that rehab.

Good luck.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:37 PM   #3

I guess a picture would help. *blush* I had my right shoulder replaced in January. Not a piece of cake but not nearly as bad as I expected. If life didn’t happen I would have had my left one replaced already.
Old 07-22-2019, 12:40 PM   #4

Here’s my 2000 words. Black and gray handles.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	CF3C4AF7-5AB9-43DF-A922-8BC2F582C9C9.jpg
Views:	215
Size:	305.8 KB
ID:	210517   Click image for larger version

Name:	0850B1CA-E5A6-4785-ABCC-92A1E40A8169.jpg
Views:	198
Size:	449.0 KB
ID:	210518  
Old 07-22-2019, 12:46 PM   #5

Hmmmm. Looks like you have a problem, Houston.

Lots of work, but you COULD get some pvc pipe and extend the black out to a bit past the side. Mine is that way. But I only have ONE discharge tube and T handle. Both black and gray are plumbed to that one discharge port.

BUT.........that's not the valve handle I assumed you meant. I added one similar to that as a "I don't want any surprises" type handle. But the actual handle is in the Wet Bay. Thought I had a picture but I don't. Once I'm at a site, I open the T handle like yours and leave it open. Then I manipulate the dumping with black and grey handles inside. HOWEVER, you have two separate T handles! So you'd have to open both I guess.

Your setup can be fixed to accommodate OPSS (old people shoulder syndrome). But it'd take some work.

FROG AR-0019-242
2016 GMC Denali 3500Dually--2017 CC 36CKTS
BandJCarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 12:49 PM   #6
Always Learning

If I were you, I'd be looking at electronic dump valves. Or see if you could retrofit cable pulls that you install in an orientation that is more conducive to your predicament.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:05 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
If I were you, I'd be looking at electronic dump valves. Or see if you could retrofit cable pulls that you install in an orientation that is more conducive to your predicament.

i agree, either a cable operated handle, like used for covered underbellies, or an electric actuator. Either could be DYI but if limited dexterity is an issue probably let a pro install.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:30 PM   #8

I’m guilty of not explaining everything. (I hate it when others do what I just did.) Both tanks empty out of the same pipe. The black water seems to go directly straight from the tank to the valve where the black handle is. (Bottom picture) Seems like a simple and effective system. That valve/doorway is perpendicular to the pipe which comes straight to the side of the trailer. The gray tank (top picture) makes a 90* turn. The same type of valve allows the water to flow to the pipe where the black water came from. It is installed after the 90* elbow joint. This allows the handle to stick straight out the the poor decrepit camper. Since it flows into the main pipe that the black water just flowed from it helps clean the main pipe.

From y’all’s responses I’m thinking an electronic control might be in my future. FYI, I’m not as decrepit as I sound. But there are thinks that my left shoulder isn’t very good for anymore.
Old 07-22-2019, 01:51 PM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
X2

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 01:56 PM   #10

Should be pretty easy to remove the gate valve and terminal cap and put in a 90° elbow before the gate valve so the handle pulls outward. Then add another 90° elbow so the cap points outward. Basically just an "S".
woo10-210 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 04:59 PM   #11

You could also consider a Valterra Black T58 Twist-On Waste Valve and hook it up so you can pull it left to right and then leave the original open. Just be absolutely sure it's fully connected. If it twists off when you dont want it to, you'll have a mess...

Not as nice of a solution but cheaper and less effort to install.

Valterra Black T58 Twist-On Waste Valve https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYJS..._rcJnDbCM3RQ58
Skip12 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-22-2019, 07:40 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by Skip12 View Post
You could also consider a Valterra Black T58 Twist-On Waste Valve and hook it up so you can pull it left to right and then leave the original open. Just be absolutely sure it's fully connected. If it twists off when you dont want it to, you'll have a mess...

Not as nice of a solution but cheaper and less effort to install.

Valterra Black T58 Twist-On Waste Valve https://www.amazon.com/dp/B000BGHYJS..._rcJnDbCM3RQ58
By golly that might work. Thanks!
Old 07-23-2019, 01:50 PM   #13

These are great!

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
X2
You can empty your tanks as you scoot down the highway! Great for discouraging tailgaters too!
breezyhillfarm is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 01:57 PM   #14

Is it possible to take the 4 mounting bolts off and rotate the valve 180 degrees so that the valve would be on the right and you could pull it with your right arm?

It would depend on how much pipe clearance there is.

I have a grey water dump valve on mine for the kitchen and it was facing toward the tire and it was a PIA to get under there to dump the grey water. I rotated the valve 180 degrees so the handle faces the back of the camper and I made a rod so I could open and close it remotely.

Bob
HappyTrav is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:10 PM   #15

Quote:
Originally Posted by JWood422 View Post
Here’s my 2000 words. Black and gray handles.
Quote:
We went on our first camping trip this weekend. It was a wonderful experience. Including an easy to get to dump station. What I realized, though, is that the blank tank handle is designed to be pulled with your left hand from right to left. My shoulder is incredibly bad to the point that it truly does need to be replaced. So I have very little strength in my left arm and even the smallest thing can make my shoulder hurt like nobody’s business.
Forgive me, I'm a total newb who has never emptied a tank at all...

I see that if you were standing right in front of the outlet you'd need to pull with your left hand, but: Why can't you just stand to the left of the handle and pull it right to left with your right hand?

I'm not trying to be a smart-alek...I just really don't understand why that wouldn't work. Is there a reason you have to be straddling the hose or something?
Mrs.Shockley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 02:55 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Shockley View Post

I see that if you were standing right in front of the outlet you'd need to pull with your left hand, but: Why can't you just stand to the left of the handle and pull it right to left with your right hand?

I'm not trying to be a smart-alek...I just really don't understand why that wouldn't work. Is there a reason you have to be straddling the hose or something?
I'm not the OP nor do I have that particular R/V but following and interpreting your logic, I see no reason it shouldn't work as you described.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 03:48 PM   #17

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mrs.Shockley View Post

Very good question. It would work if the valve were closer to me. Forest River, in their infinite wisdom, put the pipe and the valve under the trailer. As it is now, the easiest way for me to pull it is to lie on my back under the trailer with my head towards the tow vehicle. That was fine with a firm dry ground. The thought of lying on my back on a wet surface, especially in the rain, sounds awful. Another option that sorta works is to squat at the handle. Even using my right arm it’s awkward.
FYI, I didn’t take your question anyway other than being helpful.
Old 07-23-2019, 03:56 PM   #18

Simple fix and almost no work

Quote:
We went on our first camping trip this weekend. It was a wonderful experience. Including an easy to get to dump station. What I realized, though, is that the blank tank handle is designed to be pulled with your left hand from right to left. My shoulder is incredibly bad to the point that it truly does need to be replaced. So I have very little strength in my left arm and even the smallest thing can make my shoulder hurt like nobody’s business. I looked under the trailer and can understand why the the handle has to be pulled from left right as opposed to straight out towards you like the gray tank handle works. However, just because I know why it is designed that way doesn’t make it any easier. I had to lie on my back under the trailer to open the valve. I can only imagine how nasty that job would be on the wet ground particularly during a rain storm. Has anyone found a better way to pull out the black tank dump handle?

This part just goes right on the end of your existing valve. It will extend out the new valve closer to the outside of the RV and you can position it so that you can pull open with your Good Arm. Once in place open the orginial valve one last time and you are set. I could be wrong but this looks like an inexpensive and workable fix for you.
https://www.amazon.com/Valterra-T58-...31038926&psc=1

campers302 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:10 PM   #19

Quote:
Originally Posted by HappyTrav View Post
Is it possible to take the 4 mounting bolts off and rotate the valve 180 degrees so that the valve would be on the right and you could pull it with your right arm?

It would depend on how much pipe clearance there is.

I have a grey water dump valve on mine for the kitchen and it was facing toward the tire and it was a PIA to get under there to dump the grey water. I rotated the valve 180 degrees so the handle faces the back of the camper and I made a rod so I could open and close it remotely.

Bob
x2 here

I'd have someone try this and if it won't work then try taking that out and adding the 2 elbows as already suggested. That way you don't have 2 valves.

"Is this a game show?"
sugarray40 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 07-23-2019, 04:11 PM   #20

Looks like the OP missed this issue on his PDI before Purchase
Amateur Radio W5CI 2019 Days Camping 25
2020 Days Camping 7
W5CI is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
black, black water, water