Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-20-2018, 08:20 PM   #1

Ibc tote + pump in trailer

Hey guys im back with another exciting question. You may remember me as the guy that got stuck on this mountain. Well I couldnt find any way to get down so now we're in it for the long haul (not down the mountain).

Since we're gonna be here for a while I need a bigger water tank. The one we have now is only 50 gallons! I want one of those cool intermediate bulk container totes to put all our drinking water and other water in. Problem is Im too poor to buy a water pump! So im going to use the one under the sink in our trailer.

The shoddy construction of this trailer (on the area around where the water pump is attached to the floor) has the dual function of both letting mice in and allowing me to run a 1/2" water hose through the floor to my ibc tote.

So I want to run a hose from the pump inlet through the floor to outside where it would connect via pvc adapter to the tote outlet.

Oh also if youre wondering why i want to do this in the first place here is the reason. We are paying rent to live here on an older couples 40 acres. They have big fancy solar panels and a 220v well pump and we use that pump to run water 400 feet through a shallow gulch and into our 50 gallon tank. Problem is that they dont want us to for example, connect that line to our city water inlet cause then every time I brush my teeth Im using their precious battery bank to fire water 200 feet out of the ground into my sink. So besides filling our tank any other water pressure has to come from our Pentair shurflo 4008 101 a65. Problem is I want to buy a washing machine and a bathtub and they would drain our 50gal tank like the dickens. The folks up there with the pump only want us to refill the tank in the afternoon when the sun is high and those panels are smokin. So basically we need a bigger tank.

My question is. If i empty the 50 gal tank in the trailer, disconnect it, and attach a 1/2" hose (or another hose) to the vacuum end and then run that hose to the tote outside (the one thats 275 gallons I think) does anyone see any complications?

I dont understand much about water pressure but for example, i already dismantled the outdoor shower, connected some poly pipe to it and hooked that up to an instant propane water heater outside to make a real outdoor shower. Since I did that though my pump has been activating only half the time I run water and then when I shut the water off it keeps running for about a second longer for some reason.

Anyway I just hope that the 10v pump under the sink can do what i want it to. Will the water heater still work? How does that work anyway?

Thanks for all the help friends and btw my trailer is the 2019 WILDWOOD XLITE 282qbxl. Have a good evening.
trailernoob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 04:23 AM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by trailernoob View Post
Hey guys im back with another exciting question. You may remember me as the guy that got stuck on this mountain. Well I couldnt find any way to get down so now we're in it for the long haul (not down the mountain).

Since we're gonna be here for a while I need a bigger water tank. The one we have now is only 50 gallons! I want one of those cool intermediate bulk container totes to put all our drinking water and other water in. Problem is Im too poor to buy a water pump! So im going to use the one under the sink in our trailer.

The shoddy construction of this trailer (on the area around where the water pump is attached to the floor) has the dual function of both letting mice in and allowing me to run a 1/2" water hose through the floor to my ibc tote.

So I want to run a hose from the pump inlet through the floor to outside where it would connect via pvc adapter to the tote outlet.

Oh also if youre wondering why i want to do this in the first place here is the reason. We are paying rent to live here on an older couples 40 acres. They have big fancy solar panels and a 220v well pump and we use that pump to run water 400 feet through a shallow gulch and into our 50 gallon tank. Problem is that they dont want us to for example, connect that line to our city water inlet cause then every time I brush my teeth Im using their precious battery bank to fire water 200 feet out of the ground into my sink. So besides filling our tank any other water pressure has to come from our Pentair shurflo 4008 101 a65. Problem is I want to buy a washing machine and a bathtub and they would drain our 50gal tank like the dickens. The folks up there with the pump only want us to refill the tank in the afternoon when the sun is high and those panels are smokin. So basically we need a bigger tank.

My question is. If i empty the 50 gal tank in the trailer, disconnect it, and attach a 1/2" hose (or another hose) to the vacuum end and then run that hose to the tote outside (the one thats 275 gallons I think) does anyone see any complications?

I dont understand much about water pressure but for example, i already dismantled the outdoor shower, connected some poly pipe to it and hooked that up to an instant propane water heater outside to make a real outdoor shower. Since I did that though my pump has been activating only half the time I run water and then when I shut the water off it keeps running for about a second longer for some reason.

Anyway I just hope that the 10v pump under the sink can do what i want it to. Will the water heater still work? How does that work anyway?

Thanks for all the help friends and btw my trailer is the 2019 WILDWOOD XLITE 282qbxl. Have a good evening.
I don't want to sound disrespectful, but I am in Alaska and I would worry about water pipes freezing this winter. I spend one winter in a 32' travel trailer when I was much younger. I put a plywood skirt around the trailer to keep my water pipes from freezing. What plan do you have for cold weather? You said you are in the mountains. I do not know of any mountains in the US that does not have freezing weather.

Side note about MICE: Stuff the hole where your water hose is "letting mice in" with steel wool.

Please be more respectful to your landlords solar system. I have solar system in my RV because I need a CPAP to sleep at night. Batteries should not be discharged below 50%. Discharging batteries below 50% will shorten their lifespan.

You could also learn to use less water like other boondockers. IE:Navy showers, rinse your toothbrush in a cup of water, etc. Fifty gallons a day is a lot of water. The other question: Where is all this water going? I hope you have septic tank.
Solar Power & Battle Born batteries
rk06382 is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-24-2018, 09:55 AM   #3
Junior Old Fart

If you do get this set up working. You will need to make a cover for the IBC that is light tight.
Any sunlight that gets in will cause unwanted growth.
Also you will need some type of filtration system to allow air in and out as you use and fill the IBC to prevent airborne contaminants.
LTDunltd is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, trailer