Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-03-2016, 11:36 AM   #1

Ice maker will not work?

My friend has purchase a 2016 Sandpiper 346RETS in December of 2015. The ice maker will make two sets of cubes (8 x 2) then water will continue to run until there is a big block of ice or standing water in the freezer unit. This is a Whirlpool residential with the freezer unit a pull-out bottom unit.

Dealer has sent tech out three times and FR has sent the Whirlpool tech out five times from Rock Port. They now will not come out and will not, according to my friend, do anything else. Basically saying tough but we are through with it. They have mentioned that he should take up to Goshen, but why should he. He has had this only two months. We, by we meaning his friends here in Port Aransas think someone should stand up and own this problem. He will not drag it to Goshen because he puts his rig in storage in south Texas for the summer months.

Any ideas or a fix that comes to anyones mind would be appreciated.

Dave
Western Golf and Country Cart (custom body, EZ-GO frame)
Arguing with some people is like trying to smell the color 9
Volvodriver is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 11:44 AM   #2
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

Sounds like a sticking solenoid valve. Perhaps some build debris has gotten into the line and is holding the valve open. I would take ice maker out, see about cleaning or replacing valve and flush the line real good. This is just a guess.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:17 PM   #3

Had the Very same issue with the Same unit at our Home! They would just replace the Entire Inside unit! We kept telling them it would make 1 ice cube (18"x 30"X 4" thick) and we had No Glasses that could be Used for a Drink! Then they tried to say it was our Osmosis system Not letting enough Flow & PSI to the Maker! Just like Aqua Man said Sticking Solenoid Supply Valve!! Located on the Rear outside! It is Now a Ice Making Fool!Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 12:35 PM   #4

Kind of sounds as though the switch in the ice maker is not breaking/making contact to shut off the valve.
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 03:41 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by bubbles View Post
Kind of sounds as though the switch in the ice maker is not breaking/making contact to shut off the valve.
No it was the Inlet valve on the outside rear! Youroo!!
Old 02-03-2016, 07:36 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
No it was the Inlet valve on the outside rear! Youroo!!
I was referring to the OP's issue, not your post
bubbles is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 08:19 PM   #7

I do this work as a living repairing icemakers both domestic and commercial. The icemaker needs replaced under warranty. The techs they sent out either don't have any experience with this type of icemaker or simply don't know. It should have a 1 year warranty from Whirlpool. The water inlet valve either works or it doesn't. A stuck water solenoid would flood onto the floor of the rv. If the screen had garbage blocking the flow, then the timed water coming into the icemaker would not be enough. A bad water inlet valve would not let any water into the icemaker. The icemaker determines how many cc's of water to enter the icemaker. If also the icemaker doesn't go into harvest from bad contacts inside, it will refill and over flow. The dealer is not a repair person and probably doesn't know how to fix a refrigerators' icemaker, but should replace it. How much labor time was spent over this when just a replacement icemaker would take 10-15 minutes to install.
Battlefield, Missouri
F.R.O.G. Member
1st International F.R.O.G. Rally Branson Missouri
JohnandPandra is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-03-2016, 10:19 PM   #8

Thank you to all that have replied to my post. The opinions have given my buddy some ammo to start another round of discussion with Whirlpool and FR. And yes, the ice maker was replaced once but I think he mentioned it was a tech from the purchasing dealer.

If any one has a person that they know that may know someone at Whirlpool it would be appreciated as his wife spent 55 minutes on hold with Whirlpool and then - click.
Old 02-04-2016, 09:50 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

I spent 2 months with a service company trying to get my LG home fridge repaired. Replaced the compressor 2x, and had about 8 service calls. LG finally settled and agreed to give me $2k towards a new LG (this one was 4yrs old). Bad thing was, I had to pony up the $3500 for a new one and send them the receipt and get reimbursed, at Christmas time no less!
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-06-2016, 02:19 PM   #10

Thanks again for all the replies. My friend, through advice from this site and other folks in our park at PA, got through to customer service at Whirlpool corporate mountain and he spoke English and listened to my friend who spelled out the deal. He approved a Whirlpool outfit in Corpus to come out under warranty and take a good look at what make it do everything except make ice cubes.

Dave
Old 02-06-2016, 02:26 PM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by Volvodriver View Post
Thanks again for all the replies. My friend, through advice from this site and other folks in our park at PA, got through to customer service at Whirlpool corporate mountain and he spoke English and listened to my friend who spelled out the deal. He approved a Whirlpool outfit in Corpus to come out under warranty and take a good look at what make it do everything except make ice cubes.

Dave
Please Report back the Final Outcome! Youroo!!