Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 08-23-2017, 07:55 PM   #21

Quote:
Originally Posted by elind View Post
I put a Y valve on my city water with a hose plumbed to the black water flush. When I'm leaving a FHU CG I use the flush to clean things out. Not once but twice I left the valve to tank washer open. The first time was in a FHU park so I drained right away with a little leakage inside and a lot pouring off the roof. The second time was a electric / water only park. No honey wagon with me, so I emptied the tank in plastic tubs and hauled them to the dump station. Last time......next time the RV goes up for sale by DW.
Ugh, I can't imagine if I didn't have a sewer connection! Actually, now that I think about it, I don't hook up the black water flush if I have to take it to the dump station. Hope you don't ever have to sell the RV....lol.
stefie19 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 07:59 PM   #22

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You should never connect the black tank flush without the black tank dump valve open.
But, I need to shut it for a little water build up.
Makes for a better flush.

True, best to not walk away.

M-Bob
Mountainmanbob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:11 PM   #23

Send a message via AIM to B and B
Quote:
Originally Posted by Mountainmanbob View Post
But, I need to shut it for a little water build up.
Makes for a better flush.

True, best to not walk away.

M-Bob
B and B is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-23-2017, 08:23 PM   #24

I took the cap off the vent and when you look down you can see how they cut hole in roof and then put the vent cover over it and there is some opening between the pipe and roof so if water over flowed out the vent water went into the wall I would think and there could be some wet behind the walls I would check that out if it was me.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:27 AM   #25
Phat Phrog Stunt Team

The lesson is, don't walk away. I fill and rinse my black tank through the rinse connection, but I don't leave area. If I do, I open the valve.
AquaMan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:40 AM   #26

Just left our campground yesterday and gave it a good long flush as we won't be using it for a while. I found myself leaving the area a few times as I was flushing and kept yelling at myself, don't do that. I always came immediately back but multi tasking during flush is BAD.

I saw how easy it could have been to be distracted even though I kept telling myself in my head to not dawdle and get back to the flush.

I always close the valve and let water build up to get a good flow out. Just have to be mindful of what you're doing.
2016 Ford F350 XLT 6.7 Powerstroke DRW 4X4
2016 Brookstone 395RL
dwayneb236 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 09:52 AM   #27
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by dwayneb236 View Post
Just left our campground yesterday and gave it a good long flush as we won't be using it for a while. I found myself leaving the area a few times as I was flushing and kept yelling at myself, don't do that. I always came immediately back but multi tasking during flush is BAD.

I saw how easy it could have been to be distracted even though I kept telling myself in my head to not dawdle and get back to the flush.

I always close the valve and let water build up to get a good flow out. Just have to be mindful of what you're doing.
Correct... multi-tasking is BAD when flushing, best to not walk away during the flush and be mindful of what you are doing.

Even with that thought process, a person can still get distracted but you do need to close the valve a few times to get a good flush.

I set the countdown timer on my cell phone using the loudest, most annoying ringtone possible. Even then, should I decide to walk away, the water gets turned off. I use a simple hose shut-off right at the connection on the side of the rig to open/close flow to the flush.

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:06 AM   #28
Sunseeker 2400MBW

I looked at our sticker, it says "do not use ... unless the fullway termination valve is open ...." That's not very clear, how many people call their black tank valve door a fullway termination valve???
I only know not to walk away from any tank filling because of this forum. I do use it with the valve closed however, for a few minutes. I'm going to start using the timer on my phone, good idea.
Nancyc7 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:18 AM   #29

I close the valve on my black tank not all the way but almost when I do a flush. I agree that it helps to get the gunk out of the tank and really flush it out. I would think that the recommendation to never close the valve would be based on the fear that someones vent pipe wasn't working properly and could create a serious situation if the vavle was closed, you were filling it, and building pressure. I feel comfortable closing or partially closing the tank valve while flushing since I'm right there.
hybridlife is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:21 AM   #30

Quote:
Originally Posted by 5picker View Post
Correct... multi-tasking is BAD when flushing, best to not walk away during the flush and be mindful of what you are doing.

Even with that thought process, a person can still get distracted but you do need to close the valve a few times to get a good flush.

I set the countdown timer on my cell phone using the loudest, most annoying ringtone possible. Even then, should I decide to walk away, the water gets turned off. I use a simple hose shut-off right at the connection on the side of the rig to open/close flow to the flush.

That's exactly the way to do it, from boiling eggs to flushing the black tank. We are all human and s..t happens, pun intended
Cypressloser is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:47 AM   #31
DDC

After seeing a friend do the same thing I now set my phone with an 8 min alarm as soon as i connect the flusher, works every time........so far.
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 10:53 AM   #32

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
I disagree Respectfully you can close the valve and this does do a much better job at removing things.

Agreed.. flushing with the valve open is pointless.

Full disclaimer. It’s happened to me.
Started the flush, boy fell out of a tree he was climbing. Forgot about the flush.
Old 08-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #33
Always Learning

Timer, timer, timer. I'm easily distrac
Old 08-24-2017, 11:13 AM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by Flybob View Post
You should never connect the black tank flush without the black tank dump valve open.
Not Necessarily. See below

Quote:
Originally Posted by stefie19 View Post
Helpful, thanks. Hindsight is 20/20 and I clearly made a mistake which I acknowledged. Now I'm trying to make sure my mistake isn't a costly one.
You are probably OK - just dry everything out. I have done this before myself, so don't kick yourself too bad (however, it is a one trial learning experience - you will NEVER do that again )

I actually recommend that you leave your black tank valve closed, for one reason: the tank rinse, depending on design, will (usually) not adequately clean the sensors or tank side walls.

Here is how I do it for our Coach - your MMV depending on your holding tank size
  • #1 as you already know DO NOT GET DISTRACTED
  • I ALWAYS set a timer on my iPhone (Seri set a timer for 10 min is a awesome feature )
  • Calculating flow rate is hit an miss because no telling what the flow rate is for your tank rinse wand. For us, I have found that at a pedestal pressure of 40PSI our tank is full in 13 min. For 70 PSI it's @ 8 min
  • So, for the first time - and I am assuming here that your black tank is 40 GAL:
    • Close the valve after you dump
    • Turn the rinse on
    • Let it run for no more than 4 min.
    • Turn off the rinse
    • Dump the tank and observe how long it takes to empty - this will let you adjust the amount of time you let the tank rinse run.
    • You do not have to fill the tank completely, but get it as close to full as you can.
  • You will also notice something else: there will be a LOT of poo & TP coming out with the first rinse! This is something that simply running the tank rinse with the valve open cannot clean.
  • Recommend you repeat this until the tank dumps clear water.
The above is a one person method. If you have another adult that can help, have them constantly monitor your black tank level and as SOON as the "F" light comes on stop the water flow (you still will have several gallons to go, but why tempt fate )

Cleaning your black tank in this fashion will give you a higher likelihood that your tank sensors will actually work.

And, while on the subject, I do not recommend harsh chemicals in your black tank. I recommend a biologic like RVDigestIt or SEA-Zyme
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 11:17 AM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by ependydad View Post
Timer, timer, timer. I'm easily distrac
SQUIRRIL!!!!

Doug, you are so funny!
Nights Camped: 2013 - 242014 - 422015 - 56Jul 2016 - Fulltime
BamaBob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:26 PM   #36
Just as confused as you

Quote:
Originally Posted by onetonford View Post
I took the cap off the vent and when you look down you can see how they cut hole in roof and then put the vent cover over it and there is some opening between the pipe and roof so if water over flowed out the vent water went into the wall I would think and there could be some wet behind the walls I would check that out if it was me.
My TT is the same way. There isn't a seal between the vent pipe and the roof because of the difference in expansion and contraction of the different materials used. If you own your house the vent pipe is the same way.
Camping since 1989, Seasonal since 2000.
Car Shredder Op/Tech, Scrap Metal Recycling - retired
Scrapper is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:50 PM   #37

Sorry you had that problem. Glad it wasn't worse than it was!

As for "don't use your flush unless the valve is open" others will disagree. You can close the valve while the flush is running to partially fill your tank to flush it out. Just be careful to watch the gauge and don't overfill it. Our tank flush isn't working...has to be fixed with other warranty work...so I use the wand down the toilet. I flush it out for a while, then close the valve, use the wand more and fill it up to 2/3 and then open the valve again to get a good rinse. As long as you're careful, you can close the valve while using the flush.

Happy Camping!
Bobh62 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 12:52 PM   #38

When I dump my black tank at a dump station this is my usual routine.
1. Run a few gallons of bath or galley grey water through the sewer hose first. This coats the hose with wet, soapy (slippery) water so that the sewage doesn't stick to the dry hose.
2. Dump the black tank. When empty, hook up a flushing hose and rinse until no more paper or solids are evident.
3. While still running the flushing hose, I alternate closing the dump valve for 3-5 minutes and then opening to dump the contents. If no one is behind me waiting, I usually do this at least three times.
4. I open the bath and galley grey tanks to drain completely while I shut the blank tank valve for another 3-4 minutes, continuing to partially fill the black tank.
5. Turn off the flushing water and shut all valves and disconnect everything.
6. Then I go inside and verify the water level in the black tank. Based on experience, it will show 1/4 to 1/2 full. The I pour about a third of a cup of Dawn dishwashing liquid down my commode. Going down the road to my next destination, the Dawn and water will slosh everything super clean. It also seems to help lubricate my valves and leaves the tank a bit slippery so that solids and paper don't seem to stick as much.

2016 F350 CC Dually Powerstroke 4x4
2014 Cedar Creek 34RLSA w/Level Up
2007 HD Ultra Classic 103
USS Pyro AE-24 WestPac MM2 '71-'75
SlowrideHD is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 08-24-2017, 03:39 PM   #39

Quote:
Originally Posted by B and B View Post
X3
Old 08-24-2017, 03:57 PM   #40

Quote:
Originally Posted by SlowrideHD View Post
When I dump my black tank at a dump station this is my usual routine.
1. Run a few gallons of bath or galley grey water through the sewer hose first. This coats the hose with wet, soapy (slippery) water so that the sewage doesn't stick to the dry hose.
2. Dump the black tank. When empty, hook up a flushing hose and rinse until no more paper or solids are evident.
3. While still running the flushing hose, I alternate closing the dump valve for 3-5 minutes and then opening to dump the contents. If no one is behind me waiting, I usually do this at least three times.
4. I open the bath and galley grey tanks to drain completely while I shut the blank tank valve for another 3-4 minutes, continuing to partially fill the black tank.
5. Turn off the flushing water and shut all valves and disconnect everything.
6. Then I go inside and verify the water level in the black tank. Based on experience, it will show 1/4 to 1/2 full. The I pour about a third of a cup of Dawn dishwashing liquid down my commode. Going down the road to my next destination, the Dawn and water will slosh everything super clean. It also seems to help lubricate my valves and leaves the tank a bit slippery so that solids and paper don't seem to stick as much.

X2

Tags
black, black tank, tank