Old 10-26-2015, 06:36 AM   #11
I also had a self-inflicted problem with the same water filter. The day before a trip I lost the gasket while dewinterizing. The RV dealer did not have gaskets so I bought a complete housing. I left the top part in place an used the cannister. I ordered new gaskets from Water-pur. Postage cost more than the gaskets. A few months later I found the gasket in the bush where I tossed the antifreeze while dewinterizing.

2011 Sunseeker 3100
1997 Pathfinder Toad
RamblerGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 10:31 PM   #12
Ramblerguy that sounds so familiar. No sooner had I removed the canister, I found the original gasket in the exact spot that I dumped the pink antifreeze when I dewinterized. So I can see that I am not alone in the self inflicted heartburn. Little consolation. .

JackRAbbit is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-28-2015, 11:03 PM   #13
Just a member
Originally Posted by JackRAbbit View Post
With our Canadian climate winterizing is a must. We get freezing temperatures. Once we get to mid November our high temperatures are below freezing and it will stay there until early April
Don't we know it. Five months of mind-numbing hell. We have to keep reminding ourselves that there was a valid reason for living on the prairie.

We've got the same filter system but we've had no issues with it for five seasons. Nevertheless, sorry to see you water woe saga evolve into structural damage. Don't beat yourself up - if we weren't living life, we wouldn't be making mistakes.

Did you ever find that o-ring?
Keith, Lori & the Wild Bunch
TT: 2011 Rockwood 8293RKSS
TV: 2009 Dodge Ram 1500 CC 4x4 (ya.. it's got a Hemi
kandl is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-29-2015, 04:06 PM   #14
The large O-ring is what seals water from escaping the housing.
The 2 flat rubber washers, at each end of the filter element, are what ensures all water is forced thru the filter.
So yeah, it's that large o-ring you need to check.
thebrakeman ('70), DW ('71), DD ('99), DD ('01), DD ('05)
2004 Surveyor SV261T (UltraLite Bunkhouse Hybrid)
2006 Mercury Mountaineer V8 AWD Premier
Equal-i-zer WDH (10k), Prodigy Brake Controller
thebrakeman is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 10-30-2015, 10:39 PM   #15
I found the o-ring next summer. In the meantime I ordered a half dozen o-rings online to make sure it never happened again. I wanted to be proactive. I think I had the leak from the time I originally took the inline filter out until I put it back a couple of years later. The funny thing is that I periodically checked for signs of leaks but I never found any. I guess I didn't look in the correct areas. But at least it is over now.

JackRAbbit is offline   Reply With Quote