Reply
 
Thread Tools Display Modes
Old 06-19-2016, 08:26 AM   #11
Senior Member
 
DouglasReid's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Location: Maurice, LA
Posts: 1,081
why pull tanks?

Im with those who just connect the RV plumbing with PVC (or ABS if that is what is used in your area). It is easier, faster, less expensive and has the added benefit of being easy to unhook if/when you decide to move or sell the camper.
All upsides and no downsides that I can see.
__________________

__________________
DouglasReid is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:01 AM   #12
Oklahoma Proud
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: central OK
Posts: 2,774
Here is our set up. It runs to a septic tank we share with another camper.
We leave our shower gray tank open when we are there. With 3 kids, we have to. Plus our septic tank system can't handle us dumping all 5 tanks at once.
We have a short piece of sewer hose that connects to our pvc.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	1466341267422.jpg
Views:	93
Size:	103.0 KB
ID:	111554  
__________________

__________________
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:08 AM   #13
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 19
All looks good, but you must use a ton of chemicals in the tank.
The trap will take care of the sewer gas but what about the tanks gases


Jack L
__________________
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 09:45 AM   #14
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Here is our set up. It runs to a septic tank we share with another camper.
We leave our shower gray tank open when we are there. With 3 kids, we have to. Plus our septic tank system can't handle us dumping all 5 tanks at once.
We have a short piece of sewer hose that connects to our pvc.
I guess I have to wonder what type of septic tank you have that won't handle dumping 5 tanks ???
__________________
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 10:57 AM   #15
Oklahoma Proud
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: central OK
Posts: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
I guess I have to wonder what type of septic tank you have that won't handle dumping 5 tanks ???
Most tanks are 1000 gallons. If i dump 200 + gallons it overloads the leach lines that are designed to handle a few dozen gallons an hour. If done consistently, the solids or the top scum will be forces into the leach lines and render them useless. They are only designed to handle liquid.
That's why septic tanks need to be pumped every few years, and why dumping large quantities into them in a short timeframe will ruin one.

I've lived with septic tanks my whole life, as well as having a heavy construction company that serviced and installed failed systems some times.
__________________
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 11:57 AM   #16
Senior Member
 
Wolverine 1945's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2014
Location: SouthWest Michigan
Posts: 3,688
Quote:
Originally Posted by MillerTime View Post
Most tanks are 1000 gallons. If i dump 200 + gallons it overloads the leach lines that are designed to handle a few dozen gallons an hour. If done consistently, the solids or the top scum will be forces into the leach lines and render them useless. They are only designed to handle liquid.
That's why septic tanks need to be pumped every few years, and why dumping large quantities into them in a short timeframe will ruin one.

I've lived with septic tanks my whole life, as well as having a heavy construction company that serviced and installed failed systems some times.
Yes that all makes sense !!!
Maybe you could dump them over a # of days ???
__________________
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:44 PM   #17
Oklahoma Proud
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: central OK
Posts: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Wolverine 1945 View Post
Yes that all makes sense !!!
Maybe you could dump them over a # of days ???
Thats what we do. We leave the shower, gray tank open though, to help with not having as much water to dump at one time. Just while we are there though. All valves are closed when we are gone.
__________________
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 02:50 PM   #18
Oklahoma Proud
 
MillerTime's Avatar
 
Join Date: Jul 2012
Location: central OK
Posts: 2,774
Quote:
Originally Posted by Jack L View Post
All looks good, but you must use a ton of chemicals in the tank.
The trap will take care of the sewer gas but what about the tanks gases


Jack L
You will have vents on all your tanks. Plus all the gray water connections have their own p-traps. The toilet is the only one without a p-trap. That's why its essential to leave water in the toilet bowl.

Also, we drop a tablet down each of the 2 black tanks after dumping the tank, so thats every weekend that we use it on 1 tank, and about once a month for the other. The gray tanks we don't use chemicals in unless we have a slight odor. Then we just add some pinesol and add some more water.
__________________
MillerTime is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 05:42 PM   #19
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Mar 2016
Location: NW Ohio
Posts: 18
hard hook up

I agree. use your PVC and fern coats( rubber coupling) to hook up. Don't get rid of your tanks.
__________________
jpbrough is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 06-19-2016, 07:03 PM   #20
Junior Member
 
Join Date: Jun 2016
Posts: 19
Some one needs to tell my septic tank that !
It is now 30 years old, and never has been pumped


jack L
__________________

__________________
Jack L is offline   Reply With Quote
Reply

Thread Tools
Display Modes

Posting Rules
You may not post new threads
You may not post replies
You may not post attachments
You may not edit your posts

BB code is On
Smilies are On
[IMG] code is On
HTML code is Off
Trackbacks are Off
Pingbacks are Off
Refbacks are Off



» Virginia Campgrounds

Reviews provided by




ForestRiverForums.com is not in any way associated with Forest River, Inc. or its associated RV manufacturing divisions.


Copyright 2002- Social Knowledge, LLC All Rights Reserved.

All times are GMT -5. The time now is 10:14 PM.