Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-18-2017, 01:35 PM   #1
sox

Interior water filter blew off!

Hi gang. Maybe I'm missing something, but....here goes.
I replaced the original cheapo faucet with a normal faucet from Home Depot. Not a problem. I took the opportunity as well to install shutoffs under the kitchen sink. However, when I turned the pump on (I am not hooked up to city water. On board water only for this issue.) the water filter under the bathroom vanity blew off, spewing water everywhere. I cleaned it up, put it back on, using the filter wrench, and it happened again. For reference, this all happening during the de-winterizing stage. Haven't camped yet this year.

I suppose it's possible I did not crank the filter housing down sufficiently, but this is my fifth year de-winterizing the unit, and I don't recall that filter housing ever being anything special. I intend to go back out and try again, but is there any possibility that a new faucet, a "real" faucet, could cause backward pressure? Keep in mind, I discovered the leak in the old faucet after I'd done normal dewinterization steps, and during those steps the filter did not blow off. Of course, in that case I likely saw the faucet leak and shut off the pump BEFORE the filter had a chance to blow. Any and all help is welcome.
sox is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 03:56 PM   #2
Who Dares, Wins

Many people report having their stock water filter come unscrewed (all on it sown, its been videoed) or shatter for no reason. Some I believe solved it by just removing it others have really cranked down to the required location (if it has a mark to tighen to for Ex.). I put in a house filter from GE and have not had issues. But like I said, many of the stock ones from FR have.

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 04:01 PM   #3

Your faucet had nothing to do with the filter housing blowing off. Its a common problem with the filter FR uses in their rigs.
Best thing you can do is get rid of it from the interior, bridge the gap with some 1/2 inch pex and some push on "gator" type fittings. Removed mine within a week of getting our Lexi.
If you have to have a filter, mount it outside at your water inlet.
Many, many posts about this.
Grumpy

2012 Forrest River Lexington 283ts
Toad, 2013 Subaru XV Crosstrek
grumpy0374 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 06:50 PM   #4
WFD

Yup....and there is another thread going on right now with someone who just had theirs blow off too. Yours may have developed a hairline crack in kit over the winter, not allowing it to tighten up properly???
Old 04-18-2017, 06:57 PM   #5

Same thing happened to me when my coach was new. The problem with the FR-1 filter is that if you install it without and element and then put it back together, the housing goes too far and ruins the latches that hold it closed. I ran mine for a season with the wrench left on it and a string going from the wrench handle to another pipe...all to keep it from rotating and coming off.

Dealer replaced it under warranty with a different unit that has been fine ever since.

2015 335DS
ScottBrownstein is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:13 PM   #6

Like some others, I just eliminated mine. The bottom of the filter just blew out for no reason. The pressure at the park was low and had a regulator. In the end, without it makes winterizing easier.

2013 Windjammer 3025
2018 Heartland trail Runner sle 265
2012 GMC 3500 6.6
2011 Razor 800
https://dougbevswanderings.blogspot.ca/
retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:28 PM   #7
New TT Owner

Quote:
Originally Posted by retiredguy View Post
Like some others, I just eliminated mine. In the end, without it makes winterizing easier.
How do you winterize without the canister that holds the water filter?
Lovestogo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-18-2017, 08:32 PM   #8
WFD

Quote:
Originally Posted by Lovestogo View Post
How do you winterize without the canister that holds the water filter?
Those of us who have eliminated the filter, removed the whole unit, and used a short piece of pex tubing, and pex clamps or Shark Bites to join it all together. There is no filter housing left in the RV.
Old 04-18-2017, 08:52 PM   #9

x2

2013 Windjammer 3025
2018 Heartland trail Runner sle 265
2012 GMC 3500 6.6
2011 Razor 800
https://dougbevswanderings.blogspot.ca/
retiredguy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 12:47 PM   #10
Canadian Member

The WaterPur FR1 housing has a reputation for coming off on its own. Their CCI-10-CLW model doesn't have that problem.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-19-2017, 05:05 PM   #11

eliminate the water filter and associated problems from the INSIDE and put a new water filter on the outside... replace as necessary

https://www.walmart.com/ip/Camco-Wat...-Hose/14504321

2014 Shamrock 183
2014 RAM 1500 Bighorn Crew Cab, HEMI, 3.21 gears, 8 Spd, 4X4 TST TPMS
rsdata is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 11:25 AM   #12
sox

Thanks to all respondants

Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I've taken your advice, and the problem is solved.
I replaced the filter unit under the vanity, chased all the predicted OTHER leaks that sprang up as part of this event, and now I'm all set.
As a trailer owner you know you're going to encounter these issues at some point, but it's never a fun task. Add in the vagaries of the layouts and dealer-provided equipment, and you get....well, you get a call for help from me, and you all absolutely responded! Well done!

Bonus info: doc73 had mentioned that there was video of one of these FR1 filter housings coming off. While I did not look that video up, I did have my wife run the pump while I kept my hand gently grasping the housing. As the pump ran way too long I prepared myself for the upcoming eruption, and sure enough, I felt that thing take a slight "untwist" in my hand. I quickly clamped down on it and held it in place, telling my wife to kill the pump. But yes, had I not been ready to grab and hold that thing, it would have shot off like the other times.

That's why this is a good forum. It's those little things, casually mentioned, that can really point a fella in the right direction. Thanks again to ALL.

Bob
Old 04-26-2017, 12:11 PM   #13
Canadian Member

What did you end up doing? Replace the housing with a new (different model) one inside in the same location, or opt for an external solution? Curious to know what you are using now.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 12:20 PM   #14
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox View Post
Thank you, everyone, for your responses. I've taken your advice, and the problem is solved.
I replaced the filter unit under the vanity, chased all the predicted OTHER leaks that sprang up as part of this event, and now I'm all set.
As a trailer owner you know you're going to encounter these issues at some point, but it's never a fun task. Add in the vagaries of the layouts and dealer-provided equipment, and you get....well, you get a call for help from me, and you all absolutely responded! Well done!

Bonus info: doc73 had mentioned that there was video of one of these FR1 filter housings coming off. While I did not look that video up, I did have my wife run the pump while I kept my hand gently grasping the housing. As the pump ran way too long I prepared myself for the upcoming eruption, and sure enough, I felt that thing take a slight "untwist" in my hand. I quickly clamped down on it and held it in place, telling my wife to kill the pump. But yes, had I not been ready to grab and hold that thing, it would have shot off like the other times.

That's why this is a good forum. It's those little things, casually mentioned, that can really point a fella in the right direction. Thanks again to ALL.

Bob
What many folks don't realize about the FR1 is the correct way to install and remove the housing is to push up on the housing to disengage the locking teeth to remove and then pull down slightly on the housing after installing to the arrow, to lock the housing from coming off. (it will move up and down almost a 1/4")

Many just put the wrench on and twist, ruining the locking teeth.

You can somewhat see the locking teeth in the photo below.
Attached Images

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-26-2017, 03:09 PM   #15
sox

ITAT,
I installed a Glacier Bay unit and kept it under the bathroom vanity. It's a cheapo unit from Home Depot, but it'll get the job done.

5Picker,
The first time I EVER used that wrench was mentioned above, when I thought that perhaps the housing wasn't tight enough. I've always just used my hands to get it on and off.
I will confess though, that until the problem cropped up I'd never looked at the housing and known that it had teeth instead of threads. The new model has threads, as does my house filter, but I don't think in my case overtightening with the wrench caused the issue. The wrench was only used as a last resort. Thanks for the tip though.

Bob
Old 04-26-2017, 03:17 PM   #16
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
Originally Posted by sox View Post
ITAT,
I installed a Glacier Bay unit and kept it under the bathroom vanity. It's a cheapo unit from Home Depot, but it'll get the job done.

5Picker,
The first time I EVER used that wrench was mentioned above, when I thought that perhaps the housing wasn't tight enough. I've always just used my hands to get it on and off.
I will confess though, that until the problem cropped up I'd never looked at the housing and known that it had teeth instead of threads. The new model has threads, as does my house filter, but I don't think in my case overtightening with the wrench caused the issue. The wrench was only used as a last resort. Thanks for the tip though.

Bob
While the FR1 has threads they are not the traditional threaded water filter.
They also don't get screwed on until 'tight.'
They have arrows that line up on the housing and the canister.
Once lined up, pulling down on the canister locks it into place.

Here's another photo of the FR1.
NOTE: The arrows are NOT lined up in the photo. The canister is turned on too far.

The FR1 water filter is not to be confused with the CCI-10-CLW that FR also installs.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	fr1.jpg
Views:	85
Size:	79.3 KB
ID:	135985   Click image for larger version

Name:	cci-10-clw_filter.jpg
Views:	129
Size:	66.1 KB
ID:	135986  

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=64
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote