Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-05-2019, 10:19 AM   #1
Sunseeker 2400MBW

intermittent leak fresh water pump

We have a leaky freshwater pump or the connections, but it only leaks intermittently. It doesn't seem to matter if we are using the pump or city water.

We took it to a RV repair shop and he put higher pressure city water on for 30 minutes and it didn't leak, at that time.

My husband fashioned a stopper for the end of the hose that connects to the pump and it never leaked for several weeks. So, we feel sure it's not the PEX.

He determined it was the pump head, that was replaced and all seemed well for a while. But it's not.

We have been at the same park for a week, using city water, and last night found water under the pump again.

The pump works well, we don't want to replace it. The head costs about as much as the whole pump BTW.

It could be the wingnut on the left that connects it all up, my husband has tightened it and then added teflon tape to it, but this continues off and on.

This has been going on for over 2 months.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Old 11-05-2019, 10:44 AM   #2

Not a leak but possible condensation between cold water and temp/humidity in trailer or outside ? Long shot, but plausible.
TheWolfPaq82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-05-2019, 08:54 PM   #3
Sunseeker 2400MBW

I have a folded washcloth under the suspicious area. I check it every day. It's dry, dry, dry. Then one day, it's sopping dripping wet. Very unpredictable.
Old 11-05-2019, 09:04 PM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

I just found FIVE leaky fittings in our wet bay, ALL the PEX clamps on the braided PVC hoses were not tight enough and slow leaking. Obviously the workman or his crimping tool that did this were defective. I had to buy a crimping tool and new clamps at HD, and replaced them all myself. If it is a hose connected to your pump, not rigid PEX tubing, I will bet you that it what it is. Really ticked off, we went on 4 weekend trips with this new trailer this year.
NJKris is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:32 AM   #5
Sunseeker 2400MBW

This is under the shower. If we have to do anything with PEX they have to take out the shower. There is about 5 inches high under there. The water pump barely fits.

The original water pump failed and was replaced in February, started leaking in August. Stuff should last longer.

Anyway, I am hoping and praying something vibrated loose. IF it's PEX, I don't even want to think about it.
Old 11-06-2019, 07:55 AM   #6
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
The original water pump failed and was replaced in February, started leaking in August. Stuff should last longer.
Not only that, but what a STUPID place to put something that should be accessible!!! Thank goodness mine is easily reached under my dinette seat, where the hot water heater is.
Old 11-06-2019, 08:10 AM   #7
Site Team

Do you know the model of the pump?

Does it do the same thing if you're using the pump instead of city water?

When using the pump does it periodically run even when you're not using any water?
Old 11-06-2019, 05:02 PM   #8

Pump

Wildshot- Have you checked the anti-backflow valve from the city water line. I had one that had a loose flex connector on it and it did what you described. Replaced it w/ a metal valve and put a new clamp on. This stoped the leak and also eliminated the occasional filling of the fresh water tank when hooked to city water. W/ all the water lines there it can be hard to find a slow leak as the water will travel along a hose from the source of the leak. Next time it is wet, feel hoses above leak.
Tundra 2014 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 05:10 PM   #9
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
W/ all the water lines there it can be hard to find a slow leak as the water will travel along a hose from the source of the leak. Next time it is wet, feel hoses above leak.
This is exactly how I discovered all the other leaky connections in post #4. I was like, where is it coming from??? Then I saw a drip come racing down the bottom side of the hose and drip to the floor from the dip in the hose....
Old 11-06-2019, 05:32 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
We have a leaky freshwater pump or the connections, but it only leaks intermittently. It doesn't seem to matter if we are using the pump or city water.

We took it to a RV repair shop and he put higher pressure city water on for 30 minutes and it didn't leak, at that time.

My husband fashioned a stopper for the end of the hose that connects to the pump and it never leaked for several weeks. So, we feel sure it's not the PEX.

He determined it was the pump head, that was replaced and all seemed well for a while. But it's not.

We have been at the same park for a week, using city water, and last night found water under the pump again.

The pump works well, we don't want to replace it. The head costs about as much as the whole pump BTW.

It could be the wingnut on the left that connects it all up, my husband has tightened it and then added teflon tape to it, but this continues off and on.

This has been going on for over 2 months.

Does anyone have any ideas?
Water leaks are hard to find because water always runs to the lowest point before it "drips". The actual leak point can be away from the drip point, having run along the surface of hose, pipe, etc.

Here's something to try. Hook up a compressor and blow water out of system as if you are winterizing. Close up the system and pressurize with air to around 55 PSI (average shutoff pressure of pump). Spray the head of the water pump and pipe/hose connections with a solution of dish soap and water. Let the solution sit for a while and then look for bubbles. Bubbles will form where the leak is, not where the water is dripping. Bubbles will either be rather large for significant leak or more foam-like for small ones.

Also, air is "smaller" than water so it will leak more readily then water and is great for detecting pesky leaks.

Lastly, make sure that there isn't a leak from a nearby item in the water system. In the compartment where my water pump is there is also a filter. If the filter were to leak at the inlet fitting, water could migrate down the outside of the hose and drip off the water pump fitting. Your specific install will either allow that or not, depending.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-06-2019, 06:02 PM   #11
Trailer Park Supervisor

Mike you are the MAN!! You should have your own question and answer RV show, I swear.
Old 11-06-2019, 06:05 PM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
Mike you are the MAN!! You should have your own question and answer RV show, I swear.
I have scars that go with many of those answers. 40 plus years of owning TT's (and even a big boat).

Old 11-06-2019, 06:09 PM   #13
Trailer Park Supervisor

That's an impressive build up of experience! My Dad was a physicist. He told me the younger scientists that worked under him use to refer to him and others with such seniority and experience as 'the grey beards'...a homage to their wisdom and experience. You are a 'grey beard'!
Old 11-06-2019, 06:16 PM   #14

Quote:
Originally Posted by NJKris View Post
That's an impressive build up of experience! My Dad was a physicist. He told me the younger scientists that worked under him use to refer to him and others with such seniority and experience 'the grey beards'...a homage to their wisdom and experience. You are a 'grey beard'!

So much so I look like an aged Labrador. Right now I'm into my "November Beard"

Old 11-07-2019, 06:59 PM   #15
Sunseeker 2400MBW

I know, leaks are devious. The problem about seeing any bubbling under there is we can't! It's all under the shower. You can barely access the water pump, it's difficult.
I narrowed it down to the water pump by placing folded up paper towels under different areas of PEX connections and checking it very often by feel.

My husband put an excessive amount of Teflon tape on the left wingnut, it's been 3 days now and no leaking.

It's a Flow Max pump, I don't know the model. It has been leaking whether it's pump water or city water.

Just for this reason alone, I would never buy this motor home again. Seriously, if the PEX is leaking we would have to remove the whole shower, there is not getting any of the PEX pliers under there. Even if one of those wingnuts broke, it's very bad.

This one is our first, we like it, but the water pipes shouldn't be there, the slide is just too big, etc. Live and learn.
Old 11-07-2019, 08:37 PM   #16
Trailer Park Supervisor

Nancy, I feel your pain with the leaks I just had. I simply cannot believe they put the water pump in an inaccessible area, criminal! It's crap like that which will prevent me from ever buying another Nissan again (our Maxima headlamp burned out. I checked manual to see how to change it. Says, "take to dealer". Because they have to remove the front bumper to get to it!!! I figured out a workaround through the wheel well, that involved cut up hands and crying and screaming, because I refused to give in. I swore I would never buy another Nissan product again for what they put me through.)

I am now convinced I would never want to 'upgrade' to a bigger, more expensive, more problem prone RV than the simple little 20 foot camper we just got. Yeah, it has no bump outs, fireplaces, and fancy glowing oven knobs. But far fewer things to break. This camping thing is supposed to be fun, not stressful.
Old 11-08-2019, 08:49 AM   #17
Site Team

I kept wondering what "Wing Nuts" you were talking about, but I went to the LCI site for the pump and I see exactly what you mean!

I see now how they could be an issue due to how they're manufactured.

Is the pump connected directly to the Pex piping or are there flexible hoses on the inlet and outlet of the pump that are then connected to the Pex?
Old 11-08-2019, 09:06 PM   #18
Sunseeker 2400MBW

On our pump, on the right, the wingnut is connected to regular white drinking water hose, it's all part of instilling antifreeze. That side is flexible enough to repair, to a point anyway. On the left, however, the wing nut is connected directly to PEX. If it breaks, it's certain death. My husband is really nervous about fooling with it so often.

That is criminal about the Nissan Maxima. I think a lot of Nissan autos are so attractive. You just can't think of all the questions you have to ask a salesman before you buy anything. It's been so long since I had a new vehicle, I didn't know you couldn't turn the radio completely OFF. The motor home and the tow car Subaru both, I would love to go to a Car Toys type place and have an Off switch installed. If you can even do that, I am not sure.
Old 11-08-2019, 09:17 PM   #19

Wrap the suspect fitting with paper towels and tape also wrap uphill from that to see of the water is hugging the pipe/hose to the suspect fitting then falling off.
Minthillbill is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2019, 08:30 AM   #20
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by Nancyc7 View Post
On our pump, on the right, the wingnut is connected to regular white drinking water hose, it's all part of instilling antifreeze. That side is flexible enough to repair, to a point anyway. On the left, however, the wing nut is connected directly to PEX. If it breaks, it's certain death. My husband is really nervous about fooling with it so often.
I was afraid that it was connected like that. It should have flexible hose on both sides of it.

I know you don't want to touch it, and I don't blame you, but I'm afraid that at some point you're going to have to. When you do, I'd look at some SharkBite fittings for the PEX. They don't require crimpers and have a good reputation for repairs.

You could get a PEX to hose fitting and add a section of hose to the left side. That would allow you to get to the pump to work on it.

Tags
fresh water, leak, pump, water, water pump