What did I win?

Lou and Laura with Bella - German Short Hair Pointer
2008 GMC Sierra 2500HD Crewcab SB Allison Duramax
2010 Flagstaff 8526RLWS - Superglide 3300
HAM CALLSIGN - KC3FFW
Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-14-2010, 02:24 PM   #32
2003 Sunseeker 3100SS

I followed the manufacturers recommendation to drain the water pump...let it run with no water in the tank and removed one line...hope it worked as I choose not to antifreeze. Let you know in the spring time...lol!

One more thing while I have you reading. I have a 31 foor class C and want to install a rear backup camera. Any suggestions on the best brand name to get!?

Old 12-10-2010, 06:38 PM   #33

Send a message via Skype™ to scubieman
Okay quick question maybe, How do i winterize the water heater?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:08 PM   #34

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
Excellent point, Bob. I hadn't really thought about that before. Blowing the lines through the city water connection does not include the water pump.
I always just run the pump dry. Then just blow out the line. IF every is pumping antifreeze on the city connection. How is it getting to the pump?
Old 12-10-2010, 07:13 PM   #35

Quote:
Originally Posted by camprat View Post
I always just run the pump dry. Then just blow out the line. IF every is pumping antifreeze on the city connection. How is it getting to the pump?

Many have a by connection before the water pump. They have a extra hose and shut off the line going to water tank. They put hose in antifreeze and use RV pump to pump through out RV.
Old 12-10-2010, 08:27 PM   #36

Thanks scubieman!!
What came to me was see some RVer pumping antifreeze on the city water connection & then think it was getting to the pump & maybe freezing there pump.
Old 12-10-2010, 11:25 PM   #37

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubieman View Post
Okay quick question maybe, How do i winterize the water heater?
for 18 yrs, i just put a newspaper over the combuston air in and out (so that cold air would not circulate thru the hw heater. this year, i pulled the anode and drained it.
i drain the water lines and if it is expected to get below 28, i put a 60 watt bulb in the cargo bay, a small heater in the lower part of the trailer, and open the sink and lavatory cabinet doors. all u need is to keep it above freezing. have followed this procedure for 18yrs. if i lived north of La., i would probably pump antifreeze.
if u notice, i live abt 30 miles from the Gulf. i have seen it down to 22 here but it is extremely rare. i can't remember ever seeing it stay below freezing all day.
Old 12-11-2010, 12:44 AM   #38

Quote:
Originally Posted by jimh View Post
for 18 yrs, i just put a newspaper over the combuston air in and out (so that cold air would not circulate thru the hw heater. this year, i pulled the anode and drained it.
i drain the water lines and if it is expected to get below 28, i put a 60 watt bulb in the cargo bay, a small heater in the lower part of the trailer, and open the sink and lavatory cabinet doors. all u need is to keep it above freezing. have followed this procedure for 18yrs. if i lived north of La., i would probably pump antifreeze.
if u notice, i live abt 30 miles from the Gulf. i have seen it down to 22 here but it is extremely rare. i can't remember ever seeing it stay below freezing all day.
I live in south dakota. The high today is 8 low is -11. Sometimes it gets as low as -24. I can't leave water sitting. I have heard how to clear out everything else but not water heater. The dealership recommended just using compressed air. I don't like the way. I found water still sitting in some places. If the pump is one area, Well it's gone. I guess It's high of 7 tomorrow so it's kinda of too late now.
Old 12-11-2010, 07:27 AM   #39

you may try pulling the anode anyway. the water heater is insulated except for the combustion area.
those temps are extreme.
because of the way the water heater is made, i don't think u can clear it with compressed air.
the anode rod will be close to the bottom and looks like abt a 1" pipe plug. on another thread on "how to winterize", there is a pfd file u can download that gives a winterizing procedure w/pictures. (i believe it is abt half doz below this one).
if ur anode seems like it is frozen in, u may try putting a light bulb next to it and see if u can warm it up. i definately would not start the waterheater.

one other thing, this spring, make sure u have water in the heater before turning on either gas or electric. electric element won't last long (a few seconds) without water around it. (i had to learn that the hard way).
Old 12-11-2010, 09:33 AM   #40
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by scubieman View Post
I live in south dakota. The high today is 8 low is -11. Sometimes it gets as low as -24. I can't leave water sitting. I have heard how to clear out everything else but not water heater. The dealership recommended just using compressed air. I don't like the way. I found water still sitting in some places. If the pump is one area, Well it's gone. I guess It's high of 7 tomorrow so it's kinda of too late now.
Here is how I prepare my water heater: After draining most of the water out of the system via the low point drains and reinstalling the caps, I will take out the anode rod/drain plug.....if all of the faucets and the pressure relief valve are closed, the water "glugs" out slowly....make sure there is no pressure on the water heater by opening the pressure relief valve temporarily. After the water heater is empty, I reinstall the anode rod/drain plug. I then open a hot water valve somewhere in the camper, and blow air in the lines through the city water connection via a bicycle pump.....I don't use my compressor. Blowing air through the lines at this point clears the lines between the bypass valves and the water heater.....if you bypass the water heater before this point, then you may not clear those short sections. I then switch the bypass valves, and take the drain plug back out. You may get a little more water out. At this point, I thoroughly spray the inside of the tank with a device I got from camping world for this purpose. After the rinse, there is still water sitting in the bottom of the tank. I roll up a samll strip of paper towels, place 1 end in the tank, and let the other end hang over the side of the camper. The remaining water will wick out (from wettest, highest to driest, lowest point).....it will take a couple of hours.......I finish up my winterinzing chores during this time. When the paper towel finishes dripping, the inside of the tank is completely dry.

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
antifreeze