Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 01-29-2018, 11:39 AM   #1

Is this even possible?

We were out camping last week and on Saturday night (the 4th night of our trip) 2 streams of water started trickling from the bottom of the 5ver. I immediately turned off the shore water and waited until the water stopped trickling and turned on the electric pump and used the onboard water tank. It came up to pressure and shut off, no leaks so, we just used that the rest of our trip. The campground had a notice saying that the pressure exceeded 60 psi but, I didn't think to put a regulator inline. Today I went out and removed the panel hooked it up to our house supply (a well) and checked for leaks it is not leaking. It has been hooked up for about an hour and no leaks. Is it possible that the Campground water pressure spiked causing the leak but now at the lower pressure it is ok?

Just remembered something. We were camping with a large group of friends (about 15 RVs) and two other people told me they had leaks but not as bad as mine.

Thanks in Advance

Rick
RickV is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:44 AM   #2
Scoundrel

http://www.forestriverforums.com/for...ank-99194.html

Wooden Spoon Survivor
HangDiver is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:52 AM   #3

Quote:
Originally Posted by RickV View Post
We were out camping last week and on Saturday night (the 4th night of our trip) 2 streams of water started trickling from the bottom of the 5ver. I immediately turned off the shore water and waited until the water stopped trickling and turned on the electric pump and used the onboard water tank. It came up to pressure and shut off, no leaks so, we just used that the rest of our trip. The campground had a notice saying that the pressure exceeded 60 psi but, I didn't think to put a regulator inline. Today I went out and removed the panel hooked it up to our house supply (a well) and checked for leaks it is not leaking. It has been hooked up for about an and no leaks. Is it possible that the Campground water pressure spiked causing the leak but now at the lower pressure it is ok?

Thanks in Advance

Rick

I would tend to think you are correct. Although the plumbing lines are rated at very high pressure, the fittings (plastic) and clamps are not. That and the temps. if low, may have shrunk the fittings enough to allow leakage under high pressure.
If you are able to find the source of the leak, sometimes a little extra tightening (tweek) of the fitting or maybe an extra wrap of teflon tape will cure the problem.
Or, if YOU can locate the source and show it to the dealer, make them fix it. Otherwise, they will just do what you did and if their water pressure is low it won't show & they'll just say "nothings wrong, couldn't find it".
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:58 AM   #4

No it wasn't coming from the fresh water tank. I had to fill the fresh water tank it was only about 1/4 full.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:02 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
I would tend to think you are correct. Although the plumbing lines are rated at very high pressure, the fittings (plastic) and clamps are not. That and the temps. if low, may have shrunk the fittings enough to allow leakage under high pressure.
If you are able to find the source of the leak, sometimes a little extra tightening (tweek) of the fitting or maybe an extra wrap of teflon tape will cure the problem.
Or, if YOU can locate the source and show it to the dealer, make them fix it. Otherwise, they will just do what you did and if their water pressure is low it won't show & they'll just say "nothings wrong, couldn't find it".
5ver is 4 years old ain't no make dealer fix it.

I will leave it hooked up and keep checking on it as our well pressure fluctuates.
Old 01-29-2018, 12:08 PM   #6

Quote:
5ver is 4 years old ain't no make dealer fix it.

I will leave it hooked up and keep checking on it as our well pressure fluctuates.

Ahh, didn't know how old it was cause you said 4th night out.

Like I was saying, age & temps. can cause leaks over time. I've had a few that have required extra tape or a little tweek.
rracer5 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 12:49 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by rracer5 View Post
Ahh, didn't know how old it was cause you said 4th night out.

Like I was saying, age & temps. can cause leaks over time. I've had a few that have required extra tape or a little tweek.
Yeah if it was the 4th night out it would definitely be at the dealer. 😎🍺
Old 01-29-2018, 01:16 PM   #8
Pickin', Campin', Mason

Quote:
We were out camping last week and on Saturday night (the 4th night of our trip) 2 streams of water started trickling from the bottom of the 5ver. I immediately turned off the shore water and waited until the water stopped trickling and turned on the electric pump and used the onboard water tank. It came up to pressure and shut off, no leaks so, we just used that the rest of our trip. The campground had a notice saying that the pressure exceeded 60 psi but, I didn't think to put a regulator inline. Today I went out and removed the panel hooked it up to our house supply (a well) and checked for leaks it is not leaking. It has been hooked up for about an hour and no leaks. Is it possible that the Campground water pressure spiked causing the leak but now at the lower pressure it is ok?

Just remembered something. We were camping with a large group of friends (about 15 RVs) and two other people told me they had leaks but not as bad as mine.

Thanks in Advance

Rick
Do you have any idea of where this was coming from?
Is your underbelly enclosed?
Do you have a wet bay?
If not, any possibility it was leaking at the city water hose connection and running down the side and then dripping under the camper?

Days Camped '19=118 '20=116 '21=123 '22=134 '23=118 '24=90
5picker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:43 PM   #9

Had a very slow leak only when hooked up to city water. Dealer couldn't find it, told me there was no leak. After much digging around I found a pex clamp that wasn't crimped.
Go UK is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 01:58 PM   #10
Site Team

Very possible it was the campground. Campgrounds do not use the same robust water systems as a municipal system. In order to insure that the people at the ends of the system have sufficient pressure, they need to raise the pressure at the head end. Also some use water towers where the pressure when full can be significantly higher than the pressure when partially full. It is very possible you incurred at high pressure which caused a fitting to leak. You should always use a good regulator that actually adjusts the pressure and not restricts the flow to simulate reduced pressure.

2015 Freedom Express 248RBS
TV 2015 Silverado HD2500 Duramax
TST Tire Monitors
Honda 2000I + Companion
2 100W solar panels
Flybob is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 04:38 PM   #11
Charlie & Sue

Having worked at a KOA for several years where they had their own water system, i.e. drilled wells and cisterns, the pumps never exceeded 60 PSI. On the other hand campgrounds on Municipal supply will most all be at higher pressures. We always use a pressure regulator for safety regardless of the water supply. We have two with a gauge that confirms the pressure is below 45 on a factory set one and the other can be adjusted by screwdriver if need be, but seldom an issue. Occasionally we need to changed the gauge on the latter if it gets severe chills.

Never thought much about it in the beginning of our travels until I checked into the KOA at Niagara Falls, ON where a sign behind the counter stated to use a regulator as water pressure was 90 PSI.
mecd is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:20 PM   #12

I had a leak at a pex fitting under my kitchen sink only a drip but was bad enough to get the carpet wet. It had the round copper rings and no way to get my Pex tool in there I ended up buying a two piece 1/2 inch lock collar I put it over the ring and tightend the set screws down and no more leak. So I keep some extras in my trucks tool box they are good for emergency's.

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 05:46 PM   #13

Water Leak

We have an Allegro Bus and a FR3. We have experienced this issue with both rides.

After a lot of research, we found that, as said above, that City Water pressure is often very high.

We purchased adjustable pressure regulators. Keep at no more than 45PSI (Factory preset). Adjustable to 160PSI...Oh my!

Available from Amazon for less than $30.

Hope this helps.

Click image for larger version

Name:	Pressure Regulator.jpg
Views:	277
Size:	21.5 KB
ID:	161192
USMarinesDad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:23 PM   #14

You have probably answered your own question. Too much water pressure. Pex pipe is like a balloon and will expand with extreme pressure. The fittings will not. You need to get a pressure regulator incoming. Forty lbs should be maximum pressure.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 08:36 PM   #15

👍 Thanks for all the replies. I kept it hooked up all day and no leaks. Hopefully it was just too much pressure at the campground.

I ordered an adjustable regulator earlier today and will use it from now on.
Old 01-29-2018, 09:21 PM   #16

Had the same problem at one campground. Put a pressure regulator in line and problem went away.
Bnrc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-29-2018, 11:58 PM   #17

Does anyone have a suggestion for how to use an adjustable pressure regulator when temperatures are below freezing?

I have heat strip on my hose and the campground has heat tape from the spigot into the ground.

I'm in the Seattle area so it's not a deep winter but during a week of sub-freezing temps the regulator froze. Any suggestions for this? The campground workers told me to take the regulator out and they have a sign stating to do this during winter but the pressure feels very high now.
jessa82 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 01-30-2018, 12:06 AM   #18

Cold weather in SEattle

Being from the Northwest for most of my life, I have experienced an occasional issue with the cold. I use the dark grey foam insulation from Lowes. It looks like a "noodle". Wrap it around the pressure regulator AND their stand pipe. Wrap firmly with "Duck Tape". Never had a problem.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:07 AM   #19

Cold weather

PS - Once you set it at 40 to 45PSI, you won't need to access it until Spring.
Old 01-30-2018, 12:20 AM   #20

Thanks for that tip.
jessa82 is offline   Reply With Quote