Old 10-27-2012, 03:06 PM   #1

Question Is this much calcium normal for 7 months / 4 times of use?!?

So I was winterizing our new SP295 today and I took out the anode rod for the hot water tank. It was packed full of calcium! I mean packed, as in there was only the hole for the anode in the outlet. I spent a good 30 minutes flushing all sizes of stuff out. No idea how much actually came out but it was quite a bit! I am also curious about my actual anode rod. From the photos of a worn one, mine looks shot. It is only 7 months old and we used the TT 4 times for 16 days total. The rod is completely smooth and has no visible wear on it and it is completely uniform in size. I didnt know if it was this small when new or if it really was shot.

Either way, is that much buildup normal for that little bit of use? Camper was ordered new so it wasnt like it sat around the dealer or was pre-owned.

See pics for what I found. The photo of the outlet was after flushing a little bit.

CHD Dad is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 03:10 PM   #2
Mod free 5er

You must have some really bad water to eat it up that fast.
Your anode is completely gone. If they go this fast, you better pick up 2 or 3 and inspect every time you use the water heater.

Old 10-27-2012, 03:20 PM   #3

So it really is shot? Our old Salem TT had a much thicker anode that was worn ONLY at the base where its threaded. This one is completely smooth from tip to threads.

We stay at State Campgrounds. Spent one week on the shore where the water is brackish and non-potable. Spent two long weekends here in SC and one over in GA. The beach campground is busy 365 days a year and we have stayed there a few times in the past with the in-laws or with our old camper. Last weekend was also a very popular park. The GA park is fairly popular and busy off and on most of the year. The other park here in SC is not very popular and normally open. We loved it (Kings Mountain) as did our kids.

If I had to guess would it be the water from the shore campground with the brackish water? We plan on going at least once a year for a week.
Old 10-27-2012, 03:30 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD Dad View Post
So it really is shot? ...
I hope you are joking in asking is it really shot? They should be about 5/8" in dia when new. There is nothing left of yours except the wire they bond the anode material to.
New one:
Camco 11563 RV Aluminum Anode Rod Fits Suburban Heaters : Amazon.com : Automotive
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	31e-a6HnJZL__SL500_.jpg
Views:	70
Size:	8.2 KB
ID:	21135  
Old 10-27-2012, 03:53 PM   #5
Moderator Emeritus

What Neil said !!!

I did not have any idea that an anode rod would be gone like that in just 1 year.

Some of what you are seeing is probably zinc from the anode rod, but most if does indeed look like calcium.....or magnesium if you have either of those in your home water. I hope you have a water softener in your house, if that is mainly the water you have used in your camper.

We normally just tell members to check the anode rod when they winterize, but in this case I think I would checking it ever couple of months.

Here is what mine looks like after 4 years:

Click image for larger version

Name:	IMG_1368.jpg
Views:	87
Size:	43.8 KB
ID:	21137

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #6
Moderator Emeritus

Quote:
Originally Posted by CHD Dad View Post
Spent one week on the shore where the water is brackish and non-potable.
But you didn't use that in your camper water system, did you ??

Chap , DW Joy, and Fur Baby Sango
2017 F350 Lariat CCSB, SRW, 4x4, 6.7 PS
2017 Grand Design Reflection 337RLS
MtnGuy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 06:52 PM   #7

No water from the home was used, we have excellent water either way. Only water was from campgrounds. Any ideas on what caused the anode to disappear in 7 months?!?
Old 10-27-2012, 07:00 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by mtnguy View Post
But you didn't use that in your camper water system, did you ??
Yes, the entire campground uses it. It isnt recommended for drinking, you can get free filtered drinking water from the local Fire Dept but you can use it for washing dishes, showers, etc. Even the water in the three bath houses has a slightly salty taste. I am not talking straight from the ocean water, but they dont recommend drinking it.

Campground is Edisto Beach State Park in SC. For anyone that knows the campground it is one of the most popular campgrounds in SC. You need to book 12 months in advance for busy times and even then you are not guaranteed a spot.

Every camper we saw was hooked to water, from Pop-Ups to Class A's. This is after going there for a lot of years, it isnt like this is a new policy at the park.
Old 10-27-2012, 07:58 PM   #9
Phat Phrog Stunt Crew

Have you thought about saving some of the residue and having it analyzed? Might be worth the few bucks to see what is causing this rapid deterioration of the Anode.
awwall is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-27-2012, 09:07 PM   #10

I would also think if you used the electric. heating element might be bad leaking electric power to anode causing it to dissolve more rapidly. I would check that also..

2001 Ford F-350 DRW 7.3
2011 25 RL Wildcat
former fiver 1976 Fourwinds had for 35 years
onetonford is offline   Reply With Quote