Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 04-03-2019, 08:02 PM   #1

Isolating water pump vibration - Ideas?

I have a 2018 Cardinal 3525sox. First time running pump and boy oh boy is it loud. Any ideas for quieting it? It seems to be mounted behind the Nautilus P1 water station. There looks to be an access panel in the garage but haven’t removed it to investigate. Appreciate any ideas you have tried that made a difference. Thank you!
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:19 PM   #2

I found my water pump to be noisy. To quiet it down I had to remove the screws that held it down and move the pump slightly so the PEX pipe leaving the pump wasn't in contact with it's compartment wall. Also, I found the mounting screws were just randomly poked into the rubber vibration isolators, not in the holes molded into them. When I reinstalled screws I not only put them in the proper place, I didn't screw them down so tight the isolator was essentially forced into a solid block.

Now, I have to listen to hear the pump. No more "drumming" of the hard PEX pipe on the compartment wall and the pump is now free to float on the rubber mounts.

Can't say this is the same issue as yours but it's how I fixed mine.

"You only grow old when you run out of new things to do"

2018 Flagstaff Micro Lite 25BDS
2023 f-150 SCREW XLT 3.5 Ecoboost (The result of a $68,000 oil change)
TitanMike is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:24 PM   #3
Canadian Member

You can buy a kit with a couple extra lengths of hose to help. I also mounted mine on 2 thick mouse pads to help isolate it.
2011 Rockwood Signature 8293SS (2015 - 2018)
2010 Rockwood Roo 23SS (2012 - 2014)

itat is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:31 PM   #4

I put a rubber pad under the pump and then used the tubular foam pipe insulation to cover the pex wherever it touched a wall or went through one. MUCH quieter!
Reese Fifth Airborne Sidewinder
NMWildcat is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 08:38 PM   #5

I lined the water pump space with Boom Mat deadening mat.
Made a bigger difference than I expected.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:22 PM   #6
Jayhawker

Quote:
Originally Posted by jgump View Post
I have a 2018 Cardinal 3525sox. First time running pump and boy oh boy is it loud. Any ideas for quieting it? It seems to be mounted behind the Nautilus P1 water station. There looks to be an access panel in the garage but haven’t removed it to investigate. Appreciate any ideas you have tried that made a difference. Thank you!
Our previous travel trailer pump sounded like a mini jackhammer under our kitchen sink. We bought the Water Pump Silencer Kit from Amazon and that did the trick. Also insulated the PEX lines with black foam rubber pipe insulation. The silencer kit ran about $19.00.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	71tepXUsByL._SL1500_.jpg
Views:	110
Size:	161.8 KB
ID:	200700  
Jayhawker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-03-2019, 09:28 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by MtBiker View Post
I lined the water pump space with Boom Mat deadening mat.
Made a bigger difference than I expected.
What is this boom mat? I’ve never heard of it.

I used the rubbermaid non slip foamy shelf liner, folded 4 times. Really helped with the vibration, and I had it on hand.
Old 04-03-2019, 11:35 PM   #8

Quote:
Originally Posted by Teresa CAL View Post
What is this boom mat? I’ve never heard of it.

I used the rubbermaid non slip foamy shelf liner, folded 4 times. Really helped with the vibration, and I had it on hand.
Boom mat, Fat Mat, Noico, etc... Stereo shops use it to control noise and vibration.
MtBiker is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 12:38 PM   #9

You can also get the egg crate foam sound dampening material at audio equipment stores. What TitanMike wrote is good information. Also if you can add a section of the braided soft hose between the pex and the pump it will help to isolate the pump from the rest of the plumbing. I added a 2 gallon pressure tank to the system also. Once the pump fills the pressure tank it shuts off and will not pulse. This is especially good at night so you can shut the pump off at night. There is enough water and pressure in the tank to flush 7 or 8 times.
markb422 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-04-2019, 03:01 PM   #10

You can buy those flex hoses at any big box store. They're what's used for toilet connections, just match the fittings, super easy and very effective. It's more the PEX hitting stuff that's noisy, pumps are pretty quiet. These isolate the PEX and make if flexible by making a big loop.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:27 AM   #11

water pump noise

I found that the noise I had from mine was due to the water lines laying against the wall. By adding a bit of foam to keep them from being directly against the wall the noise nearly disappeared.
DocRob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-05-2019, 09:47 AM   #12

Quote:
Originally Posted by DocRob View Post
I found that the noise I had from mine was due to the water lines laying against the wall. By adding a bit of foam to keep them from being directly against the wall the noise nearly disappeared.
What really makes them noisy is the pulsations of the pump transmitting into the PEX, then it hits the wall. The flexible hoses actually dampen those pulsations, nearly eliminating the transfer into the PEX.
nayther is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2019, 01:33 PM   #13

Hey all - OP here. Well I opened the small access panel to investigate and did notice a PEX line hitting a wall. I placed some good foam there and that helped. But, I can’t see the pump itself from this little access cutout. I can’t tell exactly where it’s at let alone physically get to it to isolate even more. So unless I tear out the whole storage bay rear wall we’ll just have to live with it. Thanks again everyone these are some great ideas I’d love to be able to try.
jgump is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
pump, water, water pump