Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 11-07-2015, 10:29 AM   #1

Just How Much Water??

after flushing the black tank just how much clean water are you supposed to leave in the tank? is there a general rule? what is the best method to do so? and how do u verify the level other than the elec gauge? (also i am putting a blue tab in the tank) thanks
MeSeaHunt is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 10:46 AM   #2

No Rule,just close discharge valve and allow 1-2 Gal.to enter,just enough to (Slosh Around) with whatever (Concoction) you add! Youroo!!
youroo is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:02 AM   #3

Just make sure you add enough to fill the drain pipe and a little to slosh around with your tank chemicals. If you don't then all the chemicals will be down in the drain pipe and doing very little.

Now, how do you know and how do you do it? Do you have a tank flush built in? If yes, then close the black valve and let the water Ron into your tank flush for 30 seconds or so. This should be enough to fill the drain pipe and put in little in the tank. When you add your chemical just fill the bowl first. That should cover it.

No black tank flush, then buy one of these to force water into black tank before shutting valve..
Camco RV Dual Flush Pro - Walmart.com

2016 Siverback 33IK, Towed 50K+ mile
2018 Ford F-350 Lariat 6.7L V8 Diesel 4WD Crew Cab

"If you don't know where you are going, any road will get you there."
dalford is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:10 PM   #4

I usually add about 3 gallons along with the chemicals I use.

Bob and Joyce
2013 CC Silverback 29RL
2010 Ford F250 XL Crew Cab 6.4 liter diesel
ATU Local 788
Oakman is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:55 PM   #5

Since we usually gather up trash about the same time as we dump the tanks, I just fill the bathroom trash can with water and spouse dumps into the open toilet, along with chemicals, after I close the outside valves. Likely 2 or 3 gallons. If full hookups, I use the built in tank flush to fill for 30 or 40 secs. My valves are located at the tanks and operate with extended controls, so not much fluid lost to connecting pipe.
RubberNail is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 12:56 PM   #6

Quote:
Originally Posted by dalford View Post
Just make sure you add enough to fill the drain pipe and a little to slosh around with your tank chemicals. If you don't then all the chemicals will be down in the drain pipe and doing very little.

Now, how do you know and how do you do it? Do you have a tank flush built in? If yes, then close the black valve and let the water Ron into your tank flush for 30 seconds or so. This should be enough to fill the drain pipe and put in little in the tank. When you add your chemical just fill the bowl first. That should cover it.

No black tank flush, then buy one of these to force water into black tank before shutting valve..
Camco RV Dual Flush Pro - Walmart.com

Just flush the toilet a number of times to add water to tank........If you are moving from CG to CG the sloshing will do the job Empty when you arrive at CG!!!!!
Jim in Halifax is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:17 PM   #7

I live in farming country so I can dump at home. After flushing really good, I fill the black tank up and let it set until the next trip. Dump that and add 1 gal and chemicals.
Not possible for everyone, but I keep everything in the black tank soft.
pdqparalegal1 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 01:51 PM   #8

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
After I drain and douche the tank. I put my tst in the toilet and flush that so it goes directly to the valve,,,thus, the lubricants in the chemical are right there at the valve. Then I put more tst with about 1/2 a bowl of water in the toilet and let her rip. Just remember,,,,,water is a black tank's best friend.....don't try to economize on the amount of water you flush down. I did when I was a newbie 11 years ago, and I had one hell of a time getting the pyramid out of the tank.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:31 PM   #9

I read somewhere that you are not suppose to run black tank flush with valve closed? ?
What is correct?
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 07:39 PM   #10

Hdmtnrider....the reason for that is ,,,,if you walk away from it,,,,,,and set side tracked......you'll cry crocodile tears when it comes up out of the toilet and floods your RV. I shut mine and douche it, but I stand right there and make sure I don't go off and get side tracked. It cleans the walls of the tank even better if you do it this way. But make darned sure you don't turn your back on it. When I do it, I sit next to the toilet with the toilet flush open....when I see it starting to enter the riser....I got outside and open up the drain. It does a better job that way,,,,and should be cleaned like this every once in a while. But pay attention to what you're doing.
Old 11-07-2015, 08:17 PM   #11

Thanks Grampa Jim, I thought maybe with ever thing closed it could put too much pressure on the tank with high water pressure and bust tank or blow out seals.
hdmtnrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-07-2015, 11:34 PM   #12

Hdmtnrider....There's a vent pipe in your black AND grey tank that go up to roof to relieve the pressure if it builds, so there's no problem there. Also, without that vent up there,,,,your bathroom would STINNNNNNNK BAD.
Old 11-08-2015, 09:02 AM   #13

We have been adding 2 to 3 gallons of water + GEO after dumping before heading home,,, that way all is ready & clean for our trip !!!
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 07:25 PM   #14
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by Grampa Jim View Post
Hdmtnrider....There's a vent pipe in your black AND grey tank that go up to roof to relieve the pressure if it builds, so there's no problem there. Also, without that vent up there,,,,your bathroom would STINNNNNNNK BAD.
Yes, do not ask how I know .. Hmm.. But I left it closed and was distracted by the little one.. About 4 minutes later I heard that trailer start to grown.. I ran for the valve and next thing you knew it was the scene Rv! Gave the neighbors a show for sure! LOL[emoji33]

Sent from my SAMSUNG-SM-G870A using Tapatalk

Pat, Jen, Heather & Sapphire, the head mouser.
2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
doc73 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 08:16 PM   #15

Sorry that happened. Makes you wanna say DOH!!!!, eh?
Old 11-08-2015, 08:22 PM   #16
Who Dares, Wins

Haha... Yes! I could only laugh!

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 11-08-2015, 09:04 PM   #17

If you have a good toilet seal, and forget that you have the flush running, you may even be able to see it coming out of the vent pipe on the roof of your RV. Two of our neighbors have shown us how to get this to happen, one last year and one the previous year, and it is not a pretty sight.
kenenn is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-08-2015, 09:23 PM   #18
Who Dares, Wins

Quote:
Originally Posted by kenenn View Post
If you have a good toilet seal, and forget that you have the flush running, you may even be able to see it coming out of the vent pipe on the roof of your RV. Two of our neighbors have shown us how to get this to happen, one last year and one the previous year, and it is not a pretty sight.
That is what I did..

2015 Chevy HD D-Max
2022 Impression 315MB
Old 11-09-2015, 08:20 AM   #19

I have only used our Black Flush a couple of times,,, have never seen anything being flushed out but clear water ??? Have never ran it for more than a couple of minutes !!!
I am guessing our Black tank must be is pretty clean ??? GEO after each dump,,, before heading home ???
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 11-09-2015, 10:25 AM   #20

I put 2-3 gallons of water in the black tank after flushing. I discovered that the toilet bowl holds 1 gal of water when filled. 2-3 fills and dumps gives me the initial water load for the black tank.

Phil
pmsherman is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
water