Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 12-10-2015, 07:12 PM   #1

Just making sure I'm thinking right

On my fresh hose, I put a shut off valve so that I could turn the water to the RV off while I'm gone.

As long as nothing was running inside, that wouldn't pose a danger to the hot water heater, would it?
episodic is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:12 PM   #2

Should have said this is for when I'm at work or away for a day or two. Not extended storage. I full time.
Old 12-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #3

Yes you are correct, no issues at all.....I do the same,,,,,
Yamaha 3000iseb generator:Progressive Ind. EMS-HW30C : Eastern Ontario
Nights Camped: 2014 (18) 2015 (18) 2016 (36) 2017 (32) 2018 (42) 2019 (28) 2020 (35)
fonzie is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:17 PM   #4
Site Team

Quote:
Originally Posted by episodic View Post
On my fresh hose, I put a shut off valve so that I could turn the water to the RV off while I'm gone.

As long as nothing was running inside, that wouldn't pose a danger to the hot water heater, would it?
Not sure I'm understanding the comment correctly. What do have the fresh water hose connected to, and the connection/tap itself doesn't have a shut off handle?

A 72 hour hold in a psych unit is beginning to intrigue me as a potential vacation opportunity.
wmtire is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 12-10-2015, 07:19 PM   #5

Ah, I'm in a colder area so the shut off is under ground. So I connected a shut off valve between my RV and the hose to make it easy for me.
Old 12-11-2015, 01:22 PM   #6

If you are in freezing weather you need to disconnect the hose and drain it or it will expand and possibly burst. If you leave it connected in freezing weather the alternative is to heat trace the hose. As far as turning the supply off when you are away that is a good idea any time.
Camped 2016-71, 2017-33, 2018-29 booked
KT4W
BooBoo23 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:07 PM   #7

You are connecting to a frost proof faucet called a yard hydrant. When the hydrant is shut off, the water drains back below the frost line. A frost proof faucet on the house works differently. The shut-off valve connects to a long shaft and closes the line off where the water line won't freeze. When the water is turned off, the water drains out at the end of the faucet. Thus, neither will freeze. However, different story if there is a hose connected to the faucet end. You are fine with your set up as long as the temps stay above freezing.

One other thought: Quite often, a frost proof hydrant will give a larger flow of water and greater pressure than your house faucets. Make sure you have a water pressure regulator limiting your RV water supply to no more than 40 lbs pressure. You should use the pressure regulator anytime you connect to a water line-home or away.
PenJoe is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 02:45 PM   #8

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Episodic, Penjoe has a good recommendation about the pressure regulator. It's a MUST. I have a heat tape strip that I got from Home Depot spiraled around my water hose that keeps the hose from freezing. God bless the inventor of that. I shut my water to my RV off EVERY TIME that I'm gone for more than an hour. I've had about 6 leaks that "sprung" up in our home that would have totalled it if we weren't there. It's a good habit to get into. This is our full timing home, and I don't want to even entertain the thoughts of destroying it with flooding water inside.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-11-2015, 08:20 PM   #9

We do have a camco pressure regulator.
Old 12-11-2015, 10:13 PM   #10

Quote:
Originally Posted by episodic View Post
Should have said this is for when I'm at work or away for a day or two. Not extended storage. I full time.

If you are away at work or especially for a day or two, why not turn off the water heater - save the gas or elec. and eliminate the small risk of fire, boiling dry or whatever when you aren't there? After all, we don't need hot water the very moment we arrive, do we?

Land of 10,000 Lakes
2016 Forester MBS 2401R
Old 12-11-2015, 10:29 PM   #11

Location: Full timer,,,at Lake Georgetown in central Texas for the winter.
Your water heater won't boil out if you leave it on. I always use mine in the electric mode to save propane.
Grampa Jim is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 12-12-2015, 10:11 AM   #12
Whatever

Quote:
Originally Posted by BooBoo23 View Post
If you are in freezing weather you need to disconnect the hose and drain it or it will expand and possibly burst. If you leave it connected in freezing weather the alternative is to heat trace the hose. As far as turning the supply off when you are away that is a good idea any time.
+1 on this! You say the shut off is below ground, so I'm guessing your in cold climate area. Maybe invest in some sort of heat tape/hose jacket combo it you want to stay hooked up. Or fill the onboard tanks; run off those; and disconnect the hose during cold weather.
Old 12-12-2015, 10:24 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by PeterThePlumber View Post
+1 on this! You say the shut off is below ground, so I'm guessing your in cold climate area. Maybe invest in some sort of heat tape/hose jacket combo it you want to stay hooked up. Or fill the onboard tanks; run off those; and disconnect the hose during cold weather.
Where ever the faucet fitting that you hook your hose to, be sure that your shut off comes first, your pressure regulator comes second and then your hose. There is no good reason to leave the higher pressure on that hose in hot or cold weather

When camping I ride my bicycle through the park and on a hot day you can see the hoses swell from the pressure when they put their regulator up at the trailer end of the hose. One fine spring day at Oceano Campground, Pismo Beach, CA I watched one burst with the camper sitting right in front of it, not realizing it was even a problem until it started spraying his camp.

And NEVER, NEVER leave the water pump on or the city line pressure on to your RV when you are away. A ruptured line, and separated fitting or even a bad dripping leak can RUIN the whole RV if you are not there to stop the problem when it starts. Same with the fire hazard of the water heater, no matter how slight the risk. Turn it off when you are not using it and for sure when you are not there.
Tom48 is offline   Reply With Quote