Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-22-2017, 09:09 PM   #1

Just picked up a Cottage 40crs

Yesterday, 01:45 PM
Mdaniels4
My Cottage is always parked at a seasonal site. The previous 5th wheels all had easily accessible valve pulls. The Cottage ones are all hard to access. So I was thinking that I'd leave both the bath and galley valves open all the time, and keep the black closed until dumping, at which time, usually every other weekend I'd dump, then saniflush the blank tank every time. Does this make sense or am I missing something?
Mdaniels4 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 09:13 AM   #2

As you probably know opening the grey tank valves after dumping the black tank will help wash out your sewer hose. Any way you can put an extension on the grey tank valves so they're easier to reach?
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-23-2017, 10:02 PM   #3

Thanks for the reply, from one badger to another. But thought of that. No. The pulls are under the slides, about a foot back. Therefore the extension would have to be 3 more feet and the rod would then be too weak to pull the valve. Now theoretically I could make a claw like extension of my hand. To grab the handle and use it as leverge.

I know the greys clean the outline. I have hard pvc on a permanent drain so the clean out is not as much as a sewer slinky would. But I wonder if the immediate after flush from the inside sprayer will be enough residual water to finish the cleaning process. I was talking to a salesman tonight that leaves all his tanks open all the time. Ummm. That worries me. He thought the saniflush system would be sufficient. Hmmm. I disagree on that one. But if the saniflush would rinse enough water through over 15 minutes of the after flush. If so then that's the way I'll go. I just don't want problems down the line, no pun intended, nor do I want to crawl on my belly like a reptile just to pull yhe valves under the camper every other week. Thank you.
Old 02-24-2017, 12:48 PM   #4

I think if you run the sani-flush like you mentioned that should clear out the PVC sufficiently. I have one gray tank valve under the couch slide that's a little hard for me to reach. That's why I believe in electric dump valves controlled by a remote.
Wiscampsin is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 12:58 PM   #5

When we had our Sandpiper destination trailer on our seasonal site, we left the grey valve open 100% of the time. Black closed until we dumped. After we dumped, we had a black water flush system that I would run. While flushing, I would close the black tank gate valve for a few minutes and let the black tank refill with water some and pull the valve open again. Took 5 minutes to flush the black tank.

I would flush at the end of each visit. Most of my neighbors with destination trailers flush only when the black tank is full. Two or three times a season for some. That's not me.

After three years with the Sandpiper trailer, we never had an issue with the black or grey tanks.

I used the GEO method plus added one Walex BIO-11530 Bio-Pak Natural Holding Tank Deodorizer and Waste Digester and one Walex TOI-91799 Deodorizer each time we flushed.
Seasonal is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-24-2017, 07:15 PM   #6

Thanks guys. That's what I think I'll do. It makes sense. Unless I can make a claw puller extension that would make it as easy to grab and pull without alot of stress on the handles and rods. Of which I still may follow that method. Thanks again. Mark
Old 02-25-2017, 09:57 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by Mdaniels4 View Post
Thanks for the reply, from one badger to another. But thought of that. No. The pulls are under the slides, about a foot back. Therefore the extension would have to be 3 more feet and the rod would then be too weak to pull the valve. Now theoretically I could make a claw like extension of my hand. To grab the handle and use it as leverge.

I know the greys clean the outline. I have hard pvc on a permanent drain so the clean out is not as much as a sewer slinky would. But I wonder if the immediate after flush from the inside sprayer will be enough residual water to finish the cleaning process. I was talking to a salesman tonight that leaves all his tanks open all the time. Ummm. That worries me. He thought the saniflush system would be sufficient. Hmmm. I disagree on that one. But if the saniflush would rinse enough water through over 15 minutes of the after flush. If so then that's the way I'll go. I just don't want problems down the line, no pun intended, nor do I want to crawl on my belly like a reptile just to pull yhe valves under the camper every other week. Thank you.
Years ago I made an extension like you are talking about,,, I used a broom stick and a meat fork !!! Worked pretty for opening,,, not well for closing !
Wolverine 1945 is offline   Reply With Quote