Old 09-27-2013, 06:03 AM   #21
For those with the rotten egg smell in the water, you may need to replace your anode rod and sanitize your water heater. I sold my house last year that was on a well. It was fine until about the last year I was in it when the hot water started smelling of sulfur. I thought it was just something from the well. So I googled it when I went to sell the house and found that bacteria will eat the anode rod and give off the sulfur smell. So I bleached the well and ran it through the house plumbing and heater. Took care of it for a while but it was slowly coming back. Had the anode rod replaced and it was nearly eaten through. Also flushed the water heater while I was at it. I had no idea about this stuff before that.

2014 Sunseeker 2860DS
gmacklem is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:19 PM   #22
I had the sulfer smell coming out of my water also.
I did replace the anode rod (it was only a year old and about 75% good)
I also flushed the watersystem with 3/4 C of bleach for 30 gal. fresh water tank
Ran all the faucets until I could smell the bleach and topped off the tank
Let the unit sit for 24 hours with bleach in the fresh water tank and lines
Drained the tank
Filled with fresh water
Ran all the faucets until the bleach smell was gone
This got rid of the sulfer smell for a few months, but it is back again.
I drain my entire fresh water system after every trip including taking the anode rod out and draining the WH.
Can anyone out there give me any advice on how to stop this from appening again?

thehaluskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 04:36 PM   #23
Andy, what brand, year, model of RV do you have? If it's fairly old, perhaps the plastic plumbing is deteriorating (if it's not PEX).
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 05:01 PM   #24
I forgot to tell you that, huh Barry? lol! I have a 2012 Roo21SS.
thehaluskas is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-07-2013, 11:02 PM   #25
Since our trips tend to be several weeks apart, we drain when we got home then refill to about 2/3rds before the next trip (depending on planed distance).

Anacortes is in the top five cities nation-wide for water quality and we've run into some pretty skanky city water at some CGs, s we;d rather have the good stuff for drinking and cooking.

If we decide to keep the MH and continue the lifestyle, I might put a solenoid valve in that would enable us to switch between CG water for showers and bathroom use, then switch over to the potable tank if we're going to drink it, make tea or coffee or cook with it.

Frank and Eileen
No longer RVers or FR owners
F and E Damp is offline   Reply With Quote