Old 03-10-2019, 11:07 PM   #1

Kitchen faucet supply lines freeze

Hello, I have a 2019 Forester 3271S Class C. It has the full length slide and the kitchen sink is part of it. We've been winter camping a few times because we just got it and can't stand it. If nothing else, I'm getting pretty good at winterizing. Hahah. It has tank heaters and everything seems to be fine when we're using the coach except a couple times the kitchen faucet stopped working. If I leave the faucet on, it will eventually start dripping and slowly increase to normal operation, but this could take hours.

Has anyone had this issue and what did you do to resolve it? I'm thinking maybe insulation or line heaters? Do you know where these pipes are routed and where they're exposed to the cold? Am I able to access that area to add extra protection, whatever that may be?

Thank you,
Tom

Tom Langley is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:43 AM   #2

Use unit heater and try leaving cabinet door open under the sink.

Old 03-11-2019, 07:46 AM   #3

You say the sink is in the slide correct? That means the lines are not really in a insulated spot like when the slide is pulled in. There has to be enough slack in the line to make it travel to the open position. Be careful not to bind it with insulation. To be honest I don't know what you can do except bringing in the slide at night. Can you see the water line exposed on the bottom of the slide? Slide bottoms are really not insulated that great to begin with. Only thing I can think of, just bring it in..Sorry

Witch Doctor is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 07:47 AM   #4
Trailer Park Supervisor

Quote:
We've been winter camping a few times because we just got it and can't stand it.
Sorry couldn't answer your questions, but why are you winter camping if you can't stand it?
Old 03-11-2019, 08:20 AM   #5

Oh no, I meant I have a new toy and I can't stand not using it until summer. Hahaha.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:22 AM   #6

If u can get to the lines use electric pipe wrap
cmysstailights is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:30 AM   #7

Thanks for your response. My slide has a fiberglass bottom when looking from the outside so I can't see anything. I'm wondering if I remove the stove if I'll be able to see and access them better. In the sink cabinet, it looks like the lines go behind the stove and down. If I can't add pipe insulation because it would be too bulky, what about the electric heat tape? If I knew where the pipes are routed more specifically, I might even be able to put space heater pointed at that area from the outside just to take the edge off. I'd have to make sure not to get it hot of course. There has to be a simple solution.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:35 AM   #8

Thanks, I was using the unit heater but had it at 60 degrees and supplementing with an electric space heater. This reduces the condensation and saves propane, but possibly results in this issue. Maybe I'll open the cabinet and let some of the space heater warmth into the cabinet. Thanks again.
Old 03-11-2019, 08:37 AM   #9
Pickin', Campin', Mason

How are you heating your rig during these cold camping trips?

If you are supplementing your furnace by using electric space heaters, then the heat may not be getting to the same areas as what the furnace provides.

Often times the furnace has ducting that heats areas where tanks and pipes are located. Using a space heater doesn't heat these areas.

You may try opening any cabinet doors or drawers to the area(s) where you are having an issue to allow heat to get into those areas.
TST Tire Monitor w/Repeater - Sinemate 3500w Gen.

Days Camped: '16=46 '17=30 '18=51 '19=27
5picker is online now   Reply With Quote
Old 03-11-2019, 08:44 AM   #10

Looking at pics of your unit online here (https://www.mhsrv.com/2019-forest-ri...-c-tx-i2283040) your furnace is under your fridge, i.e., on the opposite side from your sink/slideout. Since I don't see any floor ducting, I'm guessing your furnace isn't doing much to keep the slideout warm.

Until you can figure out where the water tubing runs and get to it to do something to it, I'd say your only option is to open the cabinet doors under the sink and put your electric heater in front of it. If you have electric, then I'm assuming you have water hookups, so another option is to open the sink faucet just a bit and let it drip all night.

2016 Mini Lite 2503S - tt (2015 - ???)
2011 Traverse LT, 3.6L, FWD
2009 Silverado 1500 Ext Cab, 5.3L, 4x4, 3.73
2016 Silverado 2500HD Dbl Cab, 6.0L 4x4, 4.10
rockfordroo is online now   Reply With Quote

Tags
faucet