Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 03-15-2014, 02:58 PM   #1

Leak Behind Shower Fauset in the wall.

De winterizing camper. Pumping out pink stuff for fresh water. Open valves to let water heater fill. water heater full and water pump energized.... pump going on and off.... Faucet open somewhere? check all...none open.... This is when I notice water pooling on the floor in the main walk area and it is coming from under the bathroom wall. I open the hatch under the tub and water is leaking down from between the walls. I have narrowed it down to the cold water by shutting off the hot water at the water heater and making sure the bypass is shut off. Water still pouring down the inside of the wall. I am not really sure on how to get in there where it connects. Took the screws out of the edge of the shower panel and the rest of the panel look to be glued on. I don't want to dig to deep as it is still under warranty.

Leaving for Florida this Friday. Called Dealer and will not be able to look at it for more than a week out....

Suggestions?

I told the Dealer that I could live with out the cold water in the shower until I get back and they can look at it, but.... I must have a way to shut the water off to the shower cold water side. I told them that I would most like go a head and install a shut off valve under the tub. If I do the cold water, I will do the hot water too. Heck, I think that I may get a shut off valve for every sink and the stool too. The warranty person that I was talking to did not say it was ok or not ok.... Just that it was my camper.

Suggestions on how to install shut off valves on everything and where to install them. I would like a better place for the tub than underneath it, behind an access panel.

I looked at the pex hoses and they look to be all crimped with metal crimps. I have read some threads about the crimps being plastic.... these are metal. I am not worried (neither is the wife) about how much I spend, I just want it right to where nothing leaks and when it does it is easy to work on in the future.

I was looking (will some time) at removing the outside Kitchen sink (bath too) and replacing it with something of a better grade. The Pex hoses are crimped into a short white braided plastic hose and that it crimped onto the plastic sink.

All suggestion welcome....

This is taking up my time of shining up and installing my new OC awning poles.

2013 Forest River Salem Hemisphere SBT312QBUD

2001 CrewCab F-250 7.3 PowerStroke Diesel
SuperChip, BTS transmission, 6.0 Trans Cooler
Brother Les is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:03 PM   #2

We had the same problem when we de-winterized last year. There was a split in the water line directly under the tub and water was coming in to the hallway, out from under the shower pan. It would leak a little, but if water was turned on, it would squirt. We replaced the line with PEX and no problems. We actually ran PEX throughout the entire RV. It's expensive, but is guaranteed not to split or bust if frozen.
merrykalia is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-15-2014, 03:17 PM   #3

How did you get to the hose that is crimped on the faucet behind the shower wall? If I can get to it with out destroying it, I will not take it back to the Dealer. (2 1/2 hour drive one way)

Old 03-15-2014, 03:24 PM   #4
Mod free 5er

Quote:
Originally Posted by Brother Les View Post
How did you get to the hose that is crimped on the faucet behind the shower wall? If I can get to it with out destroying it, I will not take it back to the Dealer. (2 1/2 hour drive one way)
Take the entire faucet assembly off the wall, should be able to reach the fitting then.
Old 03-15-2014, 03:49 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post
Take the entire faucet assembly off the wall, should be able to reach the fitting then.
believe me, I have tried to get it off. Handles off, cover off ... collar rings off. Does the back plate around the back side of the fauset pull away from the shower board? There are four screws in it and they are taken out, but it l tried to pull the square backing away and it seems to be glued down..... I don't mind digging into it.... but I don't want to break anything that the Dealer would really get peeeoooodd about.

Old 03-15-2014, 03:53 PM   #6

suggestions on shut off valves?

Old 03-18-2014, 11:37 AM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by OldCoot View Post

Took my unit to a local Dealer this morning and all is fixed within a 1/2 hour. The shower faucet had the 'port' behind the faucet and should have fell forward toward the tub when 4 screws were remove. Dealer Tech told me they would find out why faucet was not coming out as it should. just got off the phone with them and they said that they had to peel the wall back to get to it. The faucet pipes were attached to a stud beam to where it could not move back or forth at all. It was leaking where the water hose connected to the faucet. A Half turn and no more leak. This would have been covered by the warranty but time (10 hours of total travel time and bigger part of two days off) and costs (fuel and two days of pay) were against asking the Dealer where I bought the unit to work on it. I always thought from the day that I bought this unit that there was some type of leak in the system. Pump would not stay pressurized like my old unit and we were 'using' twice as must water as I thought we should be. well, we were pumping the water out on the ground. With the unit slightly tilted to the door side the water drained on top of one of the gray tanks in the underbelly.

Now to start packing for some vacation.

Old 03-22-2014, 08:46 AM   #8

Thought I was the only one having problems with leaks. At one time I was a proud owner of a 2013 Wildcat T28RKX. I still own it but not so proud of it. We used it for about a year in mountainous terrain with only having to replace a bathroom faucet that burst and flooded the bathroom. Two week ago, feeling pretty safe, we headed out across the country from Utah to Florida. We made our first stop for a couple days in Moab. Started hooking up to leave and noticed a sizable leak from the belly. OH CRAP....was the black water tank leaking? I called the dealer (5 hours away). no help, warranty just expired. Called a Wildcat rep, no help. Got to Albquerque, started getting real serious. Took the vent cover off from under the shower. There it was, the "P" trap was not connected at all. I worked on the darn thing for a full day and could not get it on as it should be. The vent cover hole was about 3" H X 7" L. Very tight space, I could only get one hand/arm in the hole and could only go by feel. So,,,I got out a saw and made the hole bigger so I could get two hands in. That got it fixed. YEA!!!! Then is when I hear my wife, "I smell propane."
Samslik is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak, show, shower