Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 10-02-2017, 05:38 PM   #1

Leak in bottom of pantry#@$%&?

This morning I noticed the exterior of our pantry at the floor was wet. After examination, only the floor is wet, about 1" of water, nothing on shelves or walls. Upon going outside, water is dripping from underneath the RV between the propane tank storage door and water connection door. No water in storage area as of now. No visible leaks anywhere else inside. We're keeping towels in the bottom of the pantry to soak up the water. We're too new and uneducated about RVs to know what to check. Help please. Thanks. Not loving our Sanibel 3551 right now.
DHSDawg is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:22 PM   #2

Quote:
Originally Posted by DHSDawg View Post
This morning I noticed the exterior of our pantry at the floor was wet. After examination, only the floor is wet, about 1" of water, nothing on shelves or walls. Upon going outside, water is dripping from underneath the RV between the propane tank storage door and water connection door. No water in storage area as of now. No visible leaks anywhere else inside. We're keeping towels in the bottom of the pantry to soak up the water. We're too new and uneducated about RVs to know what to check. Help please. Thanks. Not loving our Sanibel 3551 right now.
What year is the trailer? Don't have one but willing to try. Have you used it before without issues?

Which pantry? The floor plan shows 2.
Are you on city water or tank?
Where is your water pump?
Is it running from time to time when you don't use water?

That area by the interior pantry could have shower plumbing but it likely is going the other side of the bathroom. The only plumbing there would be to the toilet or the kitchen sink or the water pump itself.
dbledan is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:25 PM   #3

Which pantry are you talking about? is it the one by the entertainment center or the one backing up to the bathroom? If it the one by the bathroom I would suspect a leak in the fittings where water goes to the toilet and sink, if the other pantry I assume that is where your incoming city water is so you may need to pull panels and investigate there both inside and in the storage areas. let the forum know what you find good luck
2016 Flagstaff 26 FKWS
AF&AM & El Korah Shrine of Idaho
SeaDog is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-02-2017, 06:37 PM   #4

It's a 2016. Bought it new a year ago. We've lived in it full time since last January. We're hooked to city water and have never used the pump. It is the pantry nearest the fridge that backs up to the bathroom. Everything in the bathroom is bone dry. No evidence of water on the pantry walls, just the floor. Drained all tanks Saturday and again today with no issues. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2017, 06:43 PM   #5

Quote:
Originally Posted by SeaDog View Post
Which pantry are you talking about? is it the one by the entertainment center or the one backing up to the bathroom? If it the one by the bathroom I would suspect a leak in the fittings where water goes to the toilet and sink, if the other pantry I assume that is where your incoming city water is so you may need to pull panels and investigate there both inside and in the storage areas. let the forum know what you find good luck
The pantry that backs up to the bathroom. This is our first RV, so don't laugh - is there a way to access the fittings without taking it to the dealership for repair?
Old 10-02-2017, 06:49 PM   #6

Not laughing we all learn these things the hard way.

Are you on city water or using the pump?

Usually inside the cabinet would be a few screws holding a panel that is a false wall between them. If not that then a cabinet that has hinges on both sides. You may need to check in the bathroom for the panel as well.

If you don't see these then it should be accessible from the outside.
Old 10-02-2017, 07:03 PM   #7

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Not laughing we all learn these things the hard way.

Are you on city water or using the pump?

Usually inside the cabinet would be a few screws holding a panel that is a false wall between them. If not that then a cabinet that has hinges on both sides. You may need to check in the bathroom for the panel as well.

If you don't see these then it should be accessible from the outside.
We're on city water. We don't see any type panel. We'll check outside in the daylight. A friend told us to shut off our water at the spigot and turn off our water heater at the panel box before we took a trip last week. He said this would safeguard against a leak that would go unchecked in our absence or the heater element burning up. We did that on the 25th and turned everything back on the 28th. Didn't have a problem until this morning. Thanks.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:16 PM   #8

Yea turn it off at the spigot for now. When you have light I would check the water filter. They rattle loose sometimes and need tightening.

It is likely something in the water compartment. If not that then it could be a broken pipe somewhere but that is unusual if it did not leak before.

Do you have a water pressure regulator? They attach at the spigot before your hose is best. This time of year campgrounds can be empty and water pressure can be high enough to blow out your plumbing. That or freeze is the only way you could have blown a pipe if it was fine on previous trips.

Turning off the water heater with the switch on the heater will turn your heating element off unless you are talking about the water biomass valves.
Old 10-02-2017, 08:40 PM   #9

We have an inline filter on the hose but no other filters. We do use a water pressure regulator. The water heater element was just turned off at the inside panel box. Thanks so much.
Old 10-02-2017, 09:28 PM   #10

Well I am quickly out of ideas if you have the pressure regulator. With no filter and the pump not being used it leads to a bad T connection in the wall somewhere like seadog said. If there is no access panel in the bathroom, pantry, or side cabinet then not sure how to get to it and cannot tell you without seeing it.
Old 10-03-2017, 04:32 AM   #11

Quote:
Originally Posted by dbledan View Post
Well I am quickly out of ideas if you have the pressure regulator. With no filter and the pump not being used it leads to a bad T connection in the wall somewhere like seadog said. If there is no access panel in the bathroom, pantry, or side cabinet then not sure how to get to it and cannot tell you without seeing it.
Thanks so much. We'll check it outside when we get some daylight.
Old 10-03-2017, 05:37 AM   #12

DHSDawg,remove your water supply hose and open your low point drains! Now close your low point drains and use a Air compressor set at 40 PSI to charge your lines,you will "HEAR" where your leak is located and Not have a Big Water mess to clean up! Youroo!!
Old 10-03-2017, 05:54 AM   #13

Quote:
Originally Posted by youroo View Post
DHSDawg,remove your water supply hose and open your low point drains! Now close your low point drains and use a Air compressor set at 40 PSI to charge your lines,you will "HEAR" where your leak is located and Not have a Big Water mess to clean up! Youroo!!
Thanks. We'll give all of these helpful hints a try.
Old 10-03-2017, 01:52 PM   #14

While doing some mods in my brand new 2015 leprechaun a couple years ago. I removed a panel under the stove, right beside the pantry. The city water line just happened to be behind that panel. I found that when they stapled the panel, they missed the backing and stapled right into the water line. Had I not stumbled upon the problem and not repaired the line. I suspect I would have had the same issue that you are describing.
Leprechauner is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 05:59 PM   #15
itch'n to road trip

Send a message via AIM to campnqueen Send a message via MSN to campnqueen Send a message via Yahoo to campnqueen
If it is near the refidge... check that out as well. Could be a drip tube from the refridge. Just say'n

2012 Ford F-250 King Ranch Super Crew Cab 4x4
2014 Work & Play 25ULA
Paula Drake, Ken Cooksey, Sunny Delight, Valor & Scarlet Begonia
Jasper Ga.
campnqueen is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 10-03-2017, 06:10 PM   #16
DDC

Looking at your floor plan there are two place that it can come from, the water supply connection to the toilet or the supply lines on the shower taps. Have you checked the linen closet in the bathroom to see if it also is wet?
Donald&Casey cairn terrier
Rest in Peace Mary my darling wife.
Scottish by birth Canadian by time.
DDC is offline   Reply With Quote

Tags
leak