Old 02-16-2013, 05:57 AM   #1
Send a message via Skype™ to DAISY BOYKIN
Leak in fresh water system---------

Thought I would post this info about a leak I discovered when draining fresh water system for cold weather!

After removing low point caps, opening all the faucets, bypassing the hot water tank, removing the fresh water filter housing for drainage, this is when I discovered water in the water pump area on the vinyl floor. At first I thought it was from spilling the water from the filter housing. But there was just too much water on the floor in the pump area to be from the spilling of the water from the filter housing. In the Rockwood 2011,
mod 8285WS fifth wheel, the pump is behind the false panel in the pass through storage area. After removing the panel, I began to feel along all the fittings, PEC clamps in and around the the filter housing and water pump area. I am pretty good at always checking lines (water), fittings, pump, when I have the panel removed for any reason. It is just human nature for me as an old EX Navy "PIPE FITTER".

I discovered the valve that isolates the suction line from the fresh water
tank that enables you to winterize your fresh system with anti-freeze had a leak in one of the PEC clamps. The valve would turn "FREELY" in the discharge side of the suction line. Also the fitting that "HAND TIGHT" screws onto the inlet side of the water pump was slightly loose and wet.

PEC fittings are great but if you do not have a PEC fitting clamp tool that cost $65-$98.00 and are not able to tighten the PEC clamp, you simply have to remove the clamp and replace it with a hose clamp that is applied with a screw driver!

It is advisable to check and inspect from time to time especially after your RV ages a little, the PEC fittings will become loose from compression of the PEC FITTINGS, especially the fiber reinforced flexible PEC LINES.

Thought I would post this information for all to read. It is a little long of a post but may save you some grief from a leak at some time.

Sid, Lois & HRH MISSY Terrible 2s SHIH TZU
2011 ROCKWOOD 8285 WS
2014 F-250 KING RANCH PS/SD/6R140/BFT
DAISY BOYKIN is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 07:22 AM   #2
With all RV water lines having gone PEC, and going full time in a year or so it looks like a PEC fitting clamp tool will being my tool box in the future.

2012 Winnebago "Journey To Insanity" 40U
2008 Dakota Sport 4x4
2004 Subaru Baja - DW's
2006 Honda Shadow Aero - TOAD for now.
F.R.O.G. member
lindy is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-16-2013, 08:30 AM   #3
Originally Posted by lindy View Post
With all RV water lines having gone PEC ...
A little off-subject, but at least in mine, they're not all PEC by a long shot. What you see at the fixtures is PEC, but there's a ton of vinyl hidden inside. (Makes me sad.)
BarryD0706 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 04-08-2013, 09:55 PM   #4
Sorry. I know this is an older thread, but if I could make a suggestion for PEX. For those who don't want to deal with the crimping tool and crimp rings, which can still leak, you could always use Sharkbite connectors for most repairs, and these connectors can be removed should you need to access that area again. They can be used on PEX, PVC, copper, and possibly CPVC but not sure about that because CPVC is measured differently.
FoCoNoCo is offline   Reply With Quote