Journey with Confidence RV GPS App RV Trip Planner RV LIFE Campground Reviews RV Maintenance Take a Speed Test Free 7 Day Trial ×

Old 02-08-2012, 10:15 AM   #1

Leaking

Have a 2006 cherokee 28a+ and have a leak. I think it's by the back corner of the dinette slide out. Water leaks out from the outside of the trailer through the city water hookup. I hv also noticed water inside around slide out and by the base of sink where pump is. All of the only occurs when I'm using my pump and fresh water system and not while I use city water as far as I can tell. Also my pump kicks on every 30 sec or so even if I hv all the faucets off.

Question is how do I find the leak and how do I get to it without ripping out walls?
Elanpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 01:11 PM   #2
Moderator Emeritus

Well, sorry for your leak, and don't stop ripping out walls. What you have written, doesn't make sense. Whether you are on city water, or using the pump, (and don't be trying to do both at the same time), your whole system is pressurized. If it leaks with one, it will leak with the other.

You wrote, "Water leaks out from the outside of the trailer through the city water hookup". If it is leaking on the outside of the camper, from the city water connection, then the check valve, aka back flow preventor, has gone bad. If it is leaking inside the trailer, could be the caulk around the city water inlet, or could be a bad crimp on one of the lines there. You can pull the city water inlet from outside the trailer, and watch for leaks. Just re caulk when you put it back. Most all the plumbing can be changed without tearing out walls, just be patient, stop, think, and look.
2008 Yamaha V-Star 650 Classic

2008 Work and Play 18LT
LadyWindrider is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:51 PM   #3

Thanks for the help I will look into those things. I don't see any leaks when I hook it up to city water but when I hv it hooked up to fresh water there looks like water is coming out from the city hose hookup on the outside and also looks like there is water inside the trailer by sink and slide out directly opposite where the city water hook up is. I will look into the mentioned things
Elanpottery is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 02:58 PM   #4
Moderator Emeritus

If you're running the water pump and the city water connection is leaking outside the camper, the check valve on the city water connection is not functioning properly and may need to be replaced. That condition should result in water inside the camper unless the check valve itself is leaking only when the water pumps running.

Dave

Nights camped in 2013 - 55, 2014 - 105, 2015 - 63
Dave_Monica is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-08-2012, 03:09 PM   #5
Hob

Leaking

We've found the plastic nuts around and on the water pump tend to loosen up and need re-tightened every now and then. The vibration from going down the road tends to loosen the fittings a little.

Best Regards,

Hob
Hob is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-09-2012, 08:43 AM   #6
Site Team - Lou

This is two problems not one.

First problem is a broken check valve inside the city water connection. This check valve prevents water pressure from the on board pump from blowing water out the city water connection. Usual cause of this failure is forgetting to blow out the trapped fresh water in the check valve when winterizing.

Second problem (the inside the camper one) is normally a loose "B-Nut" or plumbing connection. They should be snug; hand tight; and not leaking. A loose one is easy to fix; just snug it up till it stops leaking. An overly tight (or cross threaded) one crushes the seal causing a leaker. This fitting will need to be replaced unless some Teflon tape on the threads can be used to stop the leak.

Replacing these fittings can be problematic. Today they are crimped on and will need to be cut off and a new piece (or pieces) of tubing need to be spliced in and a push on fitting used to repair the bad joint. I used Shark-bite fittings to repair mine.
Attached Thumbnails
Click image for larger version

Name:	913th 3rd Annual Picnic and Camper photos 037.jpg
Views:	167
Size:	50.8 KB
ID:	10288  
Attached Images

Herk7769 is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 02-10-2012, 01:41 PM   #7
Dallas Texas

I have to admit I never trusted those shark bite connectors becaase I'm a little (actually a lot) old school. But over the past few years I've used many of them and they work just fine and are reliable. It's not a bad idea to have a couple sizes in your tool box.
Old 02-14-2012, 10:20 AM   #8

I don't about anyone else but Forest River cheated by putting hose clamps where they aren't designed to be. This is the city water entrance (major water leak for me) & they use them all the way in until after the filter.
Dave T is offline   Reply With Quote
Old 03-26-2012, 12:49 PM   #9
Dallas Texas

Looks like they were short the mating section that screws onto the body and puts the pressure on the hose to connector.

Poor quality control IMHO.
Old 03-26-2012, 01:29 PM   #10

The tubing they used is more flexible than the tubing that is suppose to be used with a flair-it connector. It had to make a sharp turn to the left. Easier to do their way than the right way! The tubing is too big for the nut that goes on the connector. I have replaced the tubing with the right tubing(plex) & put nuts on the connectors . This was a back yard job, done by a factory!
Dave T is offline   Reply With Quote